First Wyoming

• gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

To say we didn’t have to work for what we got would be an understatement. Some of our party hit up 6 different general units ranging from se to the far western part of the state in search of active bugles and cooperative elk. We went several days without hearing bugles and then we would locate active ones and in a day they would be dormant again. Overall we filled 3/4 tags and had every opportunity to fill all. There were two big bulls missed within 40 yards and several others that just hung up. I went just for the meat and was happy with my first opportunity on a calf so I could help the rest of the group. The weather from my understanding was very different from years past as well. We had several days in the upper 80’s and the ground was extremely dry making stalking next to impossible. Overall in the grand scheme persistence is what puts meat in the cooler and I was blessed to be out with a great group of guys.

Our meals also worked out perfect. I pre made everything in tins and bags and had everything done in under an hour on my camp chef oven. The longest meal was lake trout alfredo I think due to being too froze. We also had lasagna, chili tater tot hot dish, taco soup, enchillada and many other meals that worked out perfect with little to no cleanup.

Attachments:
    1. elk282.jpg

2. elk283.jpg

3. elk-285.jpg

4. elk-286.jpg

5. elk-218.jpg

6. elk2183.jpg

7. elk2182.jpg

8. elk2181.jpg

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0625.jpg

2. IMG_0584.jpg

3. IMG_0581.jpg

4. elk-284.jpg

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

a

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0569.png

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Nice read…. congrats on the good trip. Man those photos bring back some really good memories!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Nice, what area of Wyo?

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

We hit 13, 21, 10, 83, 84 and 89. It’s hard to say what unit was the best it was just a matter of finding elk that were responsive.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Congrats on working so hard! Makes the reward that much better toast toast toast waytogo

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

That’s awesome! Congrats on a successful trip. I’ve never gone out west but I’m planning on a DIY rifle hunt for Elk at this time next year. Have you seen the “Land of the Free’ series by Born and Raised Outdoors on Youtube? Highly, highly recommend.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

That’s awesome! Congrats on a successful trip. I’ve never gone out west but I’m planning on a DIY rifle hunt for Elk at this time next year. Have you seen the “Land of the Free’ series by Born and Raised Outdoors on Youtube? Highly, highly recommend.

I have probably watched almost all of them! Check out Chris Roe and Corey Jacobson too.

lagerst
    Boyceville WI

Awesome looking hunt..the photos are great!! is there any chance I could PM you as I’m going to 89 this fall with my son on an archery hunt and would like to ask a couple questions.. don’t want your honey hole or anything just some general info.

Thank you

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Thank you Deer tracker. Sorry for the delay on the response work has been a little full the last few weeks.Feel free to shoot me a PM Lagerst.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.