First Time

• tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

MY in-laws are taking us up there the week of the 15th. We are staying at Voyageur Park Lodge. We are renting a Pontoon for the week. We are going with a guide one day, but I am looking for tips on how to hopefully catch some walleyes on our own. I have the Navionics App, but not sure how accurate that will be. The boat does have a depth finder so hopefully between the two we can find a reef or points. Would rock piles be a good thing to look for or the wind blown side of islands… i guess any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tony

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

The Navionics app (on my phone anyway) has 1-foot contours, so you will be good there. It’s a little harder to navigate with a small phone-size screen, but it certainly shows the structure fine.
    Walleyes are commonly found in the 30-foot range on Kab, but as you said windblown points and shorelines work also. Boat positioning with the pontoon is your biggest obstacle in my opinion. Trolling cranks or anchoring with slip bobbers would be my first choices.

Good luck.

tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Do you know how accurate the app is up there? I was hoping to rent a smaller boat but with 6 people and a dog we went the pontoon route. Trolling cranks or spinners might be our best way if the wind comes up.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.