First MN coyote hunt of the season.

• TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

A belated update, I went out for my first coyote hunt of the 2016-17 season last Friday. This is east central MN, east of Hinckley.

It was warm, probably too warm, but at least there was some snow on the ground. The problem was that the ground was not frozen, so everything was a sloppy mess underneath, but the snow was slightly crunchy on top and it was a lot noisier than I would want.

I was alone, so after the first stand, I had to unload my gun and crawl under a fence to get to the second stand location. After doing the acrobatics, I then walked a half mile to the second stand location and got set up, only to discover that my FoxPro remote had fallen out of my pocket and was gone! The good news was I was 75% sure I knew where it had fallen out. The bad news was that it was going to cost me a mile of walking to go back and get it. So I stripped down to my shirt because I was getting too hot in my snow camo, and back I went after it.

I didn’t immediately see the remote when I got to the fence and my heart sank, but then after some digging in the snow, I found it! Lucky! note to self, put that thing on a neck strap!

And then when I got back, I found I had left the Mojo Critter on and the batteries had died. So this wasn’t turning out to be a terrific day, but I had spare batteries back in the truck, so I was only without the Critter for one stand. Not that the Critter has been a boon to my hunting, in fact I’m going to leave it home next time because I’m starting to worry it’s hurting more than it helps. We’ll see.

I made a couple of more stands, but I wasn’t seeing any sign in the usual places. I have to do some scouting to see where the coyotes are traveling these days. It probably won’t be a surprise that I called in nothing, but still good to get out.

I have frequently been seeing bobcat on my trail cams, so it’s going to be time to get after them when the season opens. I haven’t whacked a coyote for a long time now, so I was disappointed I didn’t get a crack at one, but that’s the way it goes.

I’m not very confident that the hunting will be any good until it cools way down and we get some good snow on the ground. It’s always dicey proposition wishing for snow because it’s easy to get too much of a good thing and not be able to hunt anywhere. I’m massively overdue to call in a coyote or even a double this season.

I still get a buzz thinking about how much fun it is to get one coming in. Shotgunning them is just the best because it’s up close and a lot of times the action comes fast.

That’s the report. Wish it was a “shots fired” report, but you don’t call in coyotes sitting on the couch at home.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Half the fun is the anticipation! waytogo

Just a suggestion on the remote. I bought a ferw of the Heavy Hauler Lanyards that have the multiple – interchangeable loops. Great for the remote and a few back-up hand calls conveinently in your coat. The wider strap around the neck is very comfortable for long use.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/heavy-hauler-outdoor-gear-predator-supreme-four-loop-lanyard-w-accessory-clip.html

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, that lanyard would be just the thing. Would keep the control inside my coat as well, easier on the batteries.

I can’t wait to shotgun pound another coyote. Hopefully the next trip will be the one.

Grouse

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have never hunted coyotes, but its something I would like to do sometime. The other night I was outside around 9 and they were yipping like crazy. I have a few farms nearby with cattle so I might have to ask if they would let me and the boys sit out there. Trouble is, I don’t have calls or anything. So, that could be my next investment.
    I was watching a deer hunting show last night and the guy let a coyote walk that was well within range. The narrative was that he “understands the balance of predator/prey” etc, but this thing had mange. I cannot imagine passing up a chance to kill a coyote especially if it had mange or something else, besides the fact that the sucker chased all the deer out of his field so he wasn’t able to get a shot.

deertracker
    Participant

I was watching the same show last night. I think the real reason he didn’t shoot is because of the big deer that were in the area. It just sounds better to say what he did.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

have never hunted coyotes, but its something I would like to do sometime. The other night I was outside around 9 and they were yipping like crazy. I have a few farms nearby with cattle so I might have to ask if they would let me and the boys sit out there. Trouble is, I don’t have calls or anything. So, that could be my next investment.

It’s fun, but it isn’t easy. In MN at least. Definitely not like those coyote hunting shows on TV. I’d love to hunt those western coyotes that will just run in from a mile away to get shot in the wide open. It doesn’t go down that way for me at least.

Get a mouth call and have at it. No need to drop a grand on gear just to try it, for less than $20 you could get out there, assuming you already have the camo clothing. Facemask is also a necessity.

It’s fun to stone them with a rifle, but in my area of NE MN, it’s wooded and brushy, so except for a few stands, I mainly carry a shotgun.

It’s not a high-volume game to be sure, but a great way to pass the time and keep hunting through a good chunk of the winter. I’ve heard that it’s getting really tough in SE MN as a lot of guys are calling from roads and really educating the coyotes and fox down there.

Grouse

Jason Beaulieu
    Participant

I’ve heard that it’s getting really tough in SE MN as a lot of guys are calling from roads and really educating the coyotes and fox down there.

X2!!!!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    I’ve heard that it’s getting really tough in SE MN as a lot of guys are calling from roads and really educating the coyotes and fox down there.

X2!!!!

Its like that all across the midwest. I’ve been guiding predator hunting a long time. The last 6 or so years has been a huge upswing in guys.

I would buy two basic hand calls. Preferably 1 in wood and 1 in plastic of a screaming rabbit. The wood gives you a nice deeper tone that carries further, and the plastic is a higher pitch. Very local regions will prove a preference for tone.

Keep calling simple. a minute or so on the call and LONG pauses in between. I usually start an excited fast pace “Waaa-Waaa-Waa”….and taper it down. Midwest dogs are pretty tough to draw into the clear open like grouse mentioned. Keep a close eye on brushy fence lines and the edge of the woods. I’ve shot a lot of yotes standing just a yard into the woods looking out into the field I was on.

Bill Boyd
    Participant
    Warroad, MN

Hunting coyotes in MN and in most of the US has changed with all the interest in predator calling. Lots of electronic calls and road hunters have educated an animal that has an ability to survive under some tough pressure. I lived in Colorado for several years and hunted coyotes hard in CO and WY, some really great memories. This was in the 1980’s and 90’s.

I just came in from checking a few bait stations and nothing but birds on them. I got a trailer full of deer scraps and have been feeding birds for 2 weeks. Seems like good coyote numbers to the west of me but I seem to live in a void anymore. Saw a couple coyotes during the summer. A couple guys started trapping them in late September around here and I’m sure they have cleared out a few.

The best coyote hunts are done at night.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

The best coyote hunts are done at night.

Unfortunately, any ideas of night hunting I have, are put on ice by two factors:

– Local busybodies, mostly nosy old biddies that think it’s their job to BE the police. They report anything that they deem as “suspicious”. You know, like a car parked in a field approach.

I also strongly suspect they lie about what they have actually seen when they call 911. So what they “suspect” is happening becomes something they claim to actually BE happening. A car parked in a field approach becomes “a man shining deer in the field”.

– The previous issue is made worse by the fact that these busybodies’ false reporting could produce a situation that scares the he11 of me: The Police mounting an armed response based on a false report. Police officers are going in convinced by the false report that someone out there is armed and shooting, at night, in a rural setting. Nothing can go wrong there!

Unfortunately, I have exactly ZERO faith that the local police even know that night hunting is legal for some species. So again I’m wary of the potential for setting up a bad situation…

I wish there was a legal way to force people to mind their own business AND to be able to go after these false reporters after they file embellished reports.

Grouse

Bill Boyd
    Participant
    Warroad, MN

True that grouse. Even up by me it can be a pain. I usually will hunt the January full moon if the conditions are right. Don’t go out till around 11:30 -midnight and hunt till around 4 am. Less chance of people around.

I have no desire to kill coyotes that are not prime so I don’t hunt/snare them except from mid November through about the end of January.

deertracker
    Participant

Remember that most cops hunt. They can wade through the b.s. and know what is really going on.
    DT

abster71
    Participant
    crawford county WI

that’s a lot of walking for a yote. Passed one up at 30yrds muzzleloader hunting that hurt like hell. Seen another tonight on the wheeler heading to deer blind. Wish the moon was alittle stronger to get out and get some payback. I used to carry a lot of stuff, now it’s the bare minimum gun sticks and pad no foxpro all hand calls now no batteries needed just some tight lips.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.