Finding Pheasant Loads?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Anyone starting to get worried yet? The Fiocchi high velocities I use have been “out of stock” everywhere I’ve checked – on-line and in stores. Luckily, I could probably make it the whole season with what I have, but some friends I know need to get stocked up. I’m wondering if people are thinking that they will arrive in stores just prior to the season, but they will probably get snapped up quickly, leaving many to settle for crap shells, or none at all?? Yes, steel is an option, but they are a far second choice for me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m with you on the steel loads dirk. They suck.

I have been looking regularly since last season too and haven’t seen any. I had enough to probably get by too this season. I did find some about 2 weeks ago. PM sent

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I need to go check what I have. Thankfully (?!?!) I didn’t shoot much last season. Also need to find some target loads.

stevenoak

I just sent a e mail to all my clay shooting buddies to buy target loads if they get a chance. Around here seems manufacturers are switching over to Steel and lead hunting shells and center fire bullets. Target loads were getting to the point of halfway available till the last couple weeks. I’m going to hunt state ground for doves. Steel required. Expecting a small crowd or some folks taking a chance with lead. I’ve seen 6 or smaller steel twice in the last 2 years. Pheasant loads are around but choice might be limited. I wouldn’t pass up close.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Just checked. I could use a box or two of pheasant loads and some target loads, too. doah

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I just sent a e mail to all my clay shooting buddies to buy target loads if they get a chance. Around here seems manufacturers are switching over to Steel and lead hunting shells and center fire bullets. Target loads were getting to the point of halfway available till the last couple weeks. I’m going to hunt state ground for doves. Steel required. Expecting a small crowd or some folks taking a chance with lead. I’ve seen 6 or smaller steel twice in the last 2 years. Pheasant loads are around but choice might be limited. I wouldn’t pass up close.

Ya. I was at the local Walmart a couple days ago and was surprised to see 0 boxes of anything resembling a clay/dove load. Bummer…

stevenoak

Stopped to grab some 9mm this weekend. Saw a bunch of Migra steel ammo. Believe it’s made in South Carolina. Never seen it before. The lead was all imported, never heard of most of it exc. Aguila from Mexico has been supplying .22 for a year or so. Some Remington lead game loads at Farm and Fleet.

steelslinger71

Steve when you say you are going to hunt state ground do you mean a federal waterfowl area? I am pretty sure on state wmas you can still use lead for doves.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

No need to be afraid of steel shot for pheasants. Just need to use the right load. I use steel all the time for pheasant since I am primarily a waterfowler and don’t want to have to learn the different lead with lead loads. Also if a duck flies by close enough, I can take that too.

Nice Fella

Thanks for starting this thread Dirk, good reminder. I, too, am definitely going to start looking early and often, especially after having trouble finding ammo last year. I also hunt federal WPA a lot and non-toxic shot is required. I’ll post any inventory I come across, starting with Fleet Farm in Hudson.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Just checked. I could use a box or two of pheasant loads and some target loads, too. doah

Lol. A box or two? I wish I was that lucky! I’m lucky to go thru 5 shells a season

Joking aside, I hope you guys find some shells. If need be, I have a few boxes I’m willing to part as my new pup and I won’t be hitting it much. Maybe I’ll hit up a pheasant farm for training but that’s about it. Let me know.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No need to be afraid of steel shot for pheasants. Just need to use the right load. I use steel all the time for pheasant since I am primarily a waterfowler and don’t want to have to learn the different lead with lead loads. Also if a duck flies by close enough, I can take that too.

Lead is much denser than steel and studies have shown that it has a higher kill rate because of it. That’s why I prefer it. Bismuth or other non-toxic rounds are still too high priced even though they have the density of lead.

I don’t waterfowl hunt anymore and I don’t hunt on public land that requires it, so I use lead 100% of the time. I realize that if I started hunting ducks again or if I hunted in a waterfowl parcel like you I’d have to use a non-toxic shot, but for right now I don’t so there’s no reason to burn that bridge.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I looked at the Lakeville fleet farm for trap loads this past weekend and they had very little of anything for shotguns unless you wanted to spend $60 a box! Scheels had trap loads this past weekend, but they were $10 a box instead of $5-$6 they normally are. I think they had a limit on how many you could buy too. I have switched over to just shooting steel for pheasants and have settled on a load I use for both ducks and pheasants. Makes is way easier when you are jumping between WIA and WMA and don’t have to switch back and forth between lead and steel.

Reef W

My disorganization pays off finally! Every year I buy more without knowing what I have scattered around. Just checked all the usual bags and pockets and put together two full boxes lol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Lol. A box or two? I wish I was that lucky! I’m lucky to go thru 5 shells a season.

That’s about right, but I always like to be prepared like I’ll need to shoot an entire box! rotflol

I did end up ordering 2 cases of PINK target loads online. More than I wanted to spend on them, but I’d like to shoot a couple of rounds of sporting clays this fall.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Just talked to a gun guy at FleetFarm. He said manufacturers are using their lead supplies to make the calibers they can make the most money on – and that’s not shotgun shells.

Gitchi Gummi

is there anywhere online to order pheasant loads? I can’t find them in the stores anywhere. Even stopped by scheels in Eden Prairie when I was in the twin cities last weekend and they didn’t have anything. Starting to get a little nervous.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im lucky. I always keep enough to cover the following season but sooner or later they better start selling them again. Also I can choose my shots carefully to make them last even longer.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Lead is much denser than steel and studies have shown that it has a higher kill rate because of it.

Steel loads need a faster muzzle velocity to recoup the kinetic energy lost due to the lower density. Before the manufacturers jacked up the velocity, I reloaded steel shot for duck hunting. The components were readily available and so to were recipes with the velocities they produced. My go to load for 30-45 yard shots was a #3 shot @ 1450-1500 fps. Ballistically they would penetrate a duck enough to kill out to 55 yds. Pheasants are way easier to bring down than a larger duck as long as you hit it.

Two of the places I duck hunt in MN were the first places in the state to require steel shot back in the late 70s or early 80s. Even at the lower velocities the shells had back then, on 25-30 yard shots the steel pellets would go completely through the birds.

I should go through my old lead shells to see what I have. I took inventory of my steel shot a few weeks ago and tallied 7 cases so I’m set. I am already going to be supplying one of my buddies this fall.

Reef W

Scheels in Eden Prairie had a bunch of Bascieri & Pellagri 12ga 3″ 1 5/8oz 1400fps 6 shot in stock today. That was the only 12ga lead in a pheasant type of load.

Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park I didn’t see anything in lead but they had a decent amount of Federal Bismuth 12ga in 5 shot, didn’t write down the rest of the details. I believe they were 3″ so it’s still kind of heavy but bismuth 5 is about the same as lead 6.

broth82

I think I have a bunch of boxes of Steel shot 20 ga. I’d have to check the shot size, anyone needing some that’s over by the Willmar area I can part ways with a few boxes. I can check my 12 ga. supply as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Scheels in Eden Prairie had a bunch of Bascieri & Pellagri 12ga 3″ 1 5/8oz 1400fps 6 shot in stock today. That was the only 12ga lead in a pheasant type of load.

x2. Only waterfowl/steel load in 2 3/4″ was 3 shot, and only 9 mm was hollow points at $1.50 a shell (not sure if that’s standard pricing or not). On a positive note that was the most full I’ve seen their shelves in a year +. You can call and talk to the ammo department to see what they have to, if you want to save a trip.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hear stories about ammo scores at Walmart and it just happened to me. I went there to buy motor oil and swung by sporting goods. THE ONLY ammo they had were 6 boxes of Winchester Super X 20 Ga in 6 shot. Not exactly my first choice but perfectly acceptable for Grouse hunting so I snagged 3 boxes.
    On top of what I have I am all set for this season.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

I have been searching for pheasant, waterfowl, and 7mm Rem Mag since last fall and have come up with nothing. I have scoured the internet sites. Even the sites that constantly check other sites and nothing. Burned up all of my ammo last fall. My Canadian trip and South Dakota trips are not looking good as of right now. All local places in SE MN shelves are bare of all ammo. I’ve given up trying to find 20Ga. Sabots.

RVRDUX

Gitchi Gummi

I was lucky and managed to find some at a local bait shop/gun shop this weekend. I snagged a couple boxes of 20 ga 3″ 4 shot Blackcloud steel and feel pretty happy about it. I had to pay $34/box which wasn’t great, but beggars can’t be choosers these days. At least I’ll have something to shoot in South Dakota this year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I never imagined I would see the day hunting trips were cancelled due to lack of ammo. I just cant believe we have gotten to that point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I never imagined I would see the day hunting trips were cancelled due to lack of ammo. I just cant believe we have gotten to that point.

Ya that’s just completely ridiculous. Last year when ammo started being bought up quickly (pandemic, civil unrest, upcoming election cycle, etc), I never thought that hunting ammo would get snatched up quickly too. I think a lot of new firearm owners couldn’t find specific ammo for their new home or personal defense weapons, so they bought hunting ammo instead. I personally know a couple friends who bought home defense shotguns but they couldn’t the ammo for it, so they bought bird shot instead.

I never used to see 30-06 rifle ammo shelves completely empty, ever.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I’ve talked to a couple of Scheels guys. Both have said that Scheels has hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of pheasant loads on order. One guy said he’s “not optimistic” they will get their order, the other guy said they “may or may not” get their order. I wonder how the high school trap teams are getting trap loads? Sucks.

Rainylakefisher

I was in Mitchell SD earlier this summer and stopped by the Cabela’s along the freeway. They had hundreds of boxes of pheasant loads in every gauge waiting for the masses to arrive in October. The Rogers store had virtually none about the same time. They were $25-30 a box, however.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.