Finding a atv.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Has been a bit more challenging then I expected. And it’s definitely shown me who to shop with and who not to do business with.

I do not understand why every dealer makes you fill out a online thing asking for a quote just to figure out the price, then they call you and are rude because all I want is to know what the dang price is. Like I’m wasting there time. It’s amazing the amount of rude sales people I’ve dealt with. Maybe just maybe if they put a price online then the stupid phone calls would be cut in half. The 2 machines I have been interested in have both been at a place with incredibly rude sales associates. And when confronted they just chuckle it off knowing they don’t have to sell to me, because the machine will be sold later that day.
    It’s a bad time to be a buyer in many different markets.
    I just received a check for my 21 honda and need another wheeler.
    Any suggestions on dealers to look at?

Carl

Heinen Motorsports Osseo MN They sell hondas now to. They show prices on line even. I saved over a grand by not buying in Brainerd

Jason

Heinen Motorsports Osseo MN They sell hondas now to

Yep, and they have Suzukis as well with machines in stock. I’m a Can Am guy now but the Sukuki would be second in line.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Here’s where I picked up my Commander, they also tout themselves as the worlds largest Polaris dealer.

They also have used.

https://www.miesoutland.com/

John Timm

I’m sure you’ve already been to Larson’s? And I know how it is to get treated like that from sales people when they know the situation. They had a couple King quad 750s the Las time I was there. Weird time to buy as no one really has anything!?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You already know your going to be paying full retail in this market right now. Find what you want in stock and pull the trigger. Cry about it later.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You already know your going to be paying full retail in this market right now. Find what you want in stock and pull the trigger. Cry about it later.

I’m not worried about pricing. I know what I’ll pay. I just don’t want to do business with crumy people. I bought my honda at larsons and my can am at Olson’s. But I won’t be doing business with larsons after the way they treated me yesterday when I called them. And then I called back to let them know about my experience just to be laughed at basically.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m sure you’ve already been to Larson’s? And I know how it is to get treated like that from sales people when they know the situation. They had a couple King quad 750s the Las time I was there. Weird time to buy as no one really has anything!?

The king quad 750axi is what’s on my eye right now. But surprisingly larsons was very rude. Even though both my Hondas came from them. And they dealt with the totaling of my machine.

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Timm wrote:</div>

The king quad 750axi is what’s on my eye right now. But surprisingly larsons was very rude. Even though both my Hondas came from them. And they dealt with the totaling of my machine.

I had a similar experience with them. I ended up purchasing through a private party but if I did by new, I’d buy through Hiennens. I had a very good experience getting quotes and speaking with their sales staff.

404 ERROR
    MN

If you’re looking for something quickly, I have an 02 Prairie 650 with a plow I would sell ya for 3K/BO.

stevenoak

Our local Polaris dealer shut off selling last April. They had all units sold they expected for the year. Said coming year units will be up about $2K.

Nodakk

I cannot speak to the sales staff at Heinens but after my experience with their service department last month, I will never be back.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Shop out side the cities, find a small local place where people care about there customers and treat you with respect.

John Timm

Check out craigslist, there’s a dealer on there with new king quads for sale.

dbright
    Cambridge

Larsons has always been good to are family over the years.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Shop out side the cities, find a small local place where people care about there customers and treat you with respect.

^This.

The only advantages to shopping at the larger places are to see more makes/models under one roof or to have short drives to the competition…and in years past potentially a little better pricing due to volume. The pricing advantages anywhere are gone, so unless someplace is substantially gouging you aren’t going to find a ton of “deals”.

The smaller places are more conditioned to try and bring in repeat customers. They rely on the guy they sold things to 10 years ago to be back again. If I were you, I’d expand your range ~50-100 miles outside of the suburban metro area.

I have no idea how badly you “need” an atv, but there hasn’t been a historically worse time to be shopping for a recreational vehicle. Dealers have never needed your money less than they do now. Keep that in mind for service work, warranty work, and the entire transaction.

realtreeap10
    Over there

From my experience Bucky has a very good point, I was looking for a Can-am not to long ago and I spent hours online looking, made a spreadsheet and everything comparing prices and dealers. Visited a few around the metro and didn’t get the warm fuzzy feeling from any. Finally bought one from Bessers bike barn in Sauk Rapids and couldn’t have been happier, within 2 minutes of stepping in the door the owner was there shaking my hand asking what he can help me with. That didn’t happen anywhere “local.” Others I liked were Hilmerson Sports (little falls), Trueman Welter (buffalo) and Ollie’s (Alexandria) that gave me the best service as a potential buyer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Larsons has always been good to are family over the years.

They were always decent to us to. But they are now showing there true colors. And I won’t buy a polaris so that kills off half the dealers near me.
    I’m not in some massive rush by any means to buy. But I want another machine around. I don’t mind leaving the metro, but it becomes a massive pain when warranty work needs to be done.

Coletrain27

Warranty work can be done at any dealer as long as they service the same brand. It don’t have to be done at the same dealer you buy it from

John Timm

That’s one thing I’ve never had to worry about with the 2 Suzuki’s I’ve owned since 2005 was no warranty work was ever needed. I’ve done nothing but used the heck out of them also, a lot of plowing, and dragging trees with them both. Sorry to hear that Larson’s was like that. Can’t say I’m surprised though.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I was literally at Larson’s yesterday to pick up my new Honda. I would certainly say that they are courteous and the buying experience with Chris was smooth sailing.

After talking to Chris and another salesperson at Larson’s, I can see where some fatigue could well have set in after the crazy wild pandemic demand rush and lack of supply that followed. I’m not excusing any rude behavior, but I’m also empathetic toward the way things have been in the rec toy business over the last 2+ years.

IMO, given the supply and demand situation, my advice would be to set your feelings aside and buy what you can get, where you can get it. Doesn’t matter how much you like a given dealer if they haven’t got what you want.

Coletrain27

IMO, given the supply and demand situation, my advice would be to set your feelings aside and buy what you can get, where you can get it. Doesn’t matter how much you like a given dealer if they haven’t got what you want.

BINGO!

404 ERROR
    MN

This. I found my last machine down in St. Louis at Big St. Charles. Absolute joke of a dealer with easily the worst customer service I have ever had. But they had it in stock and $3k below MSRP…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll never understand businesses not listing prices online. I’ve had the same experience trying to shop boats, fill out our thing online and then either no call back, or a call back and they try not to give you the price. My personal favorite was a salesperson that wouldn’t let the discussion get passed what do you want to pay per month? I understand you will do a 30 year note on a boat these days, but I’m not interested in that and would just like the price… doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was literally at Larson’s yesterday to pick up my new Honda. I would certainly say that they are courteous and the buying experience with Chris was smooth sailing.

After talking to Chris and another salesperson at Larson’s, I can see where some fatigue could well have set in after the crazy wild pandemic demand rush and lack of supply that followed. I’m not excusing any rude behavior, but I’m also empathetic toward the way things have been in the rec toy business over the last 2+ years.

I do agree with this, but after dealing with issues at larsons from my winch, to a bad battery, to then a bad relay that left the honda dead every day, and Mike back at the service desk, having to bring my wheeler in 4 times for the winch install to be done correctly. I opt to go else where. No need for them to treat some one with a attitude when I’m there dropping 10 to 20k on toys.
    And for them to seem like it’s a major pain to tell me pricing on a unit, well list it online. It would end many pointless phone calls.

wormdunker

Yeah I completely understand. I have an appreciation for people doing business that commit to something and follow through with it, as opposed to people who to commit to something and disappear citing excuse after excuse for not ever communicating or following through with their commitments.

Live and learn.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Consumers have never had less power to bring feelings into economic transactions than they do today. If people think they’re going to be met with warm feelings spending their hard-earned money in today’s economy, they’re wrong. One purchase to some of these larger places is about like debating stopping to pickup a nickel on the sidewalk.

With that said, there’s never going to be a day in any situation where I will pay someone $10k + for a recreational toy knowing I’ll be treated like $hit through the process. Everyone can make those decisions for themselves though. Me personally, I’d wait longer for the purchase to be made and expand my search wider.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll never understand businesses not listing prices online.

Increasingly, some brands forbid dealers from listing any prices other than manufacturer-suggested retail price (MSRP) online. Most powersport companies are now requiring or strongly encouraging this.

Why? Because the manufacturers don’t WANT competition and dealers competing with one another based on price. They want to move dealers (and customers) to a one-price model where everyone charges the same and where the real price control reigns are held by the manufacturer, not the retailer.

Stihl power equipment has been this way for decades. No advertising anything but MSRP or approved sale prices. No bargaining, no haggling, no discounting, no nothing, and if a dealer steps out of line, he gets hammered and there is a strong possibility he will lose his dealership. Stihl was long thought to be tracking even OEM parts that showed up on eBay to find out which dealers were selling parts below MSRP.

BTW the automakers want to move as quickly as possible to this model of manufacturer-set pricing. The current demand vs supply situation has moved them a lot farther down the road to this model and it looks to me like uniform mandatory pricing will be coming very soon.

basseyes

This market sucks for buying just about anything, new or used.

Was in today ordering parts from Larson’s for the old 2000 Honda foreman we bought from them new and have never had a bad experience with them in over 20 yrs of dealing with them. But have only dealt with 2 warranty issues and have done everything else myself. Parts department has been rock solid across the board. I rarely call anywhere anymore for parts, seems like most places are sick of answering the phones. One guy I’ve dealt with for over 20 yrs getting outboard parts from was the rudest he’s ever been last spring in person. Normally not much of a talker, which I like. But is super quick, knows his stuff and is typically polite. Last spring he told me they can’t find anyone to work, but are busier than ever. And getting anything has been a complete nightmare for them. Crabby customers, shortages in everything and constantly being swamped because there’s no help trickles down the slope. Didn’t hold it against him, understanding it’s been a brutal time dealing with just about everything. Have been told by a lot of people in a lot of different industries that they wouldn’t buy anything built in the yrs of the pandemic because of all the problems and quality control has gone down the crapper.

Good luck with finding a wheeler and hopefully you can find a good dealer you can work with. A lot of these type of issues are going to be more common than not because most are dealing with the same problems.

munchy
    NULL

When I was searching for one I checked out probably a dozen different dealerships around the cities. Most were decent just didn’t have what I wanted. By far the dumbest place I walked in to was MotoPrimo in Lakeville. No prices listed anywhere, and no one around to ask. I ended up getting my CanAm at Leo’s South in Lakeville because they were easy to deal with and had what I wanted on the floor at a great price.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.