Fiberglass help

• slabz

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 1998 Ranger 681VS and am pretty pumped about it. I have never owned a glass boat before and had a few questions about the finish. This boat is fairly clean for being 25 years old but the gelcoat isn’t glossy anymore ( especially the gunnels and interior, hull still has a pretty good shine). What is the preferred method to get the shine back?? I am pretty handy but is it something that a professional should work on instead or can diy be successful? Open to any suggestions. I added a pic from the ad but can get better pictures when I get home if that helps. Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220615-105649.png

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you go to Amazon or search Google on “fiberglass restoration kit” there are many options out there. I used one several years ago and worked well. Can’t remember the name but picked it up at Halberg Marine.

Any fiberglass repair shop can do the work too.

-J.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Where are you located? I’ve heard nothing but good things about Dusty’s Detailing
    In Anoka. Makes them look new again. He’s in the Spraungel Performance Marine building.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Contact The Boat Center and see who does theirs. They have someone detail their trade in boats and they look fantastic when completed. Have seen before and after pictures and you cannot believe how well they turn out. Just give them a call.

slabz

I am located about 20 miles northwest of St Cloud. I’ll have to check them out, thanks!

slabz

Well after quite a bit of research, I have decided to give wet sanding and buffing a shot. Looks to be a lot of work but hopefully the end result is worth it! I found a company called Pro Tec Products and am going with their restoration products. Wish me luck!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’d just try polishing an area first. That usually brings most the shine back. Wet sanding will take deeper scratches out, but for the shine, polish it then wax it.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Wet sanding for deeper scratches. But a rough cut compound, for the first pass, should be all you need to remove the super fine scratches and oxidization. I use 3M super duty rubbing compound. Follow up with a polish and wax.

In-between I use 3M Marine Cleaner and Wax

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.