feeding 2 different dogs question

• glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

any suggestions?????? the cute little adorable puppy you see in my avatar is now an 8 month old horse!!!!!! whistling i also have a 14 year old sheltie.

i would like to quit putting shadow, the avatar dog in a kennel at night. i need to because he eats everything in site and then things he shouldnt!!!! frown when he is in his kennel i can put the shelties food down so she can eat at night when he is in the kennel.

does anyone have any suggestions how i can accomplish this. i’ve been splitting what little hair i have left trying to figure something out??????

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

If you don’t kennel the younger dog will it still “eat things he shouldn’t”?

I have 2 labs, 12 and 2 years old. The older dog gets fed twice a day and the younger once in the evening. Their food and water bowls are in the kitchen and dining room. They both respect the other’s dishes. They both clean up their food so there is nothing to get tempted by.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

i would like to quit putting shadow, the avatar dog in a kennel at night.

IMHO seems like the best place for him. Doesn’t he LIKE to be in his crate? Dogs usually find their crate to be their safe space where they can relax.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I still kennel my 2-year old lab. I may continue with that until the older dog goes to the great duck blind in the sky.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    i would like to quit putting shadow, the avatar dog in a kennel at night.

IMHO seems like the best place for him. Doesn’t he LIKE to be in his crate? Dogs usually find their crate to be their safe space where they can relax.

he doesnt seem to mind going in at night……..he doesnt go in it at all during the day. his safe place seems to be in my way!!!!!! jester

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I still kennel my 2-year old lab. I may continue with that until the older dog goes to the great duck blind in the sky.

yea, thinking that might be the route. the sheltie is 14 and am not sure how long she has yet????

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

If you don’t kennel the younger dog will it still “eat things he shouldn’t”?

I have 2 labs, 12 and 2 years old. The older dog gets fed twice a day and the younger once in the evening. Their food and water bowls are in the kitchen and dining room. They both respect the other’s dishes. They both clean up their food so there is nothing to get tempted by.
    /quote] jester YES!!!!!!!! doah you’d be surprised what i see in his poop. the maple helicopters, you name it. when i’m up at the cabin after about the 2nd day half of it is tree bark?????? doah

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

My dog’s always get a treat when I put them on their bed or in their kennel. That helped in the training.
    Both my dog’s eat a lot of twigs. I swear I could use the 12-year old’s poop as a fire starter. shock Tree bark will sometimes make them puke.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

It sounds like your older dog eats when it wants with food always in the bowl? Both my dogs wolf down their food so they can be fed at the same time. Both finish their bowl in about 1 minute.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

You just need to teach the puppy that the old boy’s food is a hard no. Not eat a little, not sniffing around it, nothing. We had this same issue with our old boxer and a lab puppy that tried to eat everything, the puppy learned pretty quickly but it takes consistency and a hard line.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

It sounds like your older dog eats when it wants with food always in the bowl? Both my dogs wolf down their food so they can be fed at the same time. Both finish their bowl in about 1 minute.

yes the older one was like that, but always ate after we went to bed

Bigwerm… I’m working on that but I know what will happen after we crash for the night. crazy

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

so, after much thought and deliberations, i think i’ve come up with a plan….kinda of.

i have a training collar for the pup. i am going to put that on him when we are in the house, put the shelties food down if he gets near it he will get the buzz, if not a little bump.

and during the nite he goes in the kennel.

thanks for the ideas guys!!!!!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo

Coletrain27
    Participant

we feed 4 dogs at the same time twice a day. we just watch them and make sure they dont try to eat the others food. we place there bowls a little ways apart so there not right next to each other

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

we feed 4 dogs at the same time twice a day. we just watch them and make sure they dont try to eat the others food. we place there bowls a little ways apart so there not right next to each other

i’ve been slowly putting both dogs foods down and the big lupos is getting better actually way better. still wouldnt turn my back on him though!!!!!1 whistling jester

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.