Favorite Campfire Recipes

• crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

not sure if there are threads on this already but i thought it would be fun to start a thread where people shared their favorite campfire meals.

This weekend ill be making some hobo meals of course. Wrapping andouille sausage, potatoes, onions, bell peppers in foil and place over the coals until finished. I love these meals as there is no cleanup required and dont need anything other than a fork.

One thing ive been wanting to try is baking deserts in a cast iron pot. ive seen some really tasty looking cakes and pies cooked over an open fire.

Another favorite of mine is cooking stew over an open fire during a hunting trip. I use a tripod cooking crate that you can raise and lower to put closer or further from the coals. Works real slick. go out hunting in the morning and what you get you put in the pot along the rest of the makings for stew. Enjoy for dinner

What are some of your favorites?

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

The omelet in a bag makes a great Breakfast. Everyone can make their own and put what they want in. Just make sure you use the correct zip lock bags that are approved for food cooking use.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

The omelet in a bag makes a great Breakfast. Everyone can make their own and put what they want in. Just make sure you use the correct zip lock bags that are approved for food cooking use.

do you put those in boiling water then to cook? is that the idea?

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I also like making sandwiches and pies with the cast Iron pie and sandwich makers. fast and easy. lots of options you can make in them.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

do you put those in boiling water then to cook? is that the idea?

Yep. Watch a few videos on it. It is cool how well it works. I think they are some of the best Omelets I’ve had. You can also cook a fair amount of them all at the same time

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe not a favorite but it’s a winner when you are hungry and have limited resources.

Beer can walleye. The names also counts as what you need for this treat.

Boil walleye in beer in beer can over fire. Enjoy while thinking about bringing more food next trip.

Then there is also Beer can instant coffee. There never turns out anywhere close to good but is still slightly better than just chewing on the coffee grounds.

Campfire corn has always been a good one. Throw corn in fire until the husk is burnt through on one side. Take out and enjoy.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Instead of audolie we use brat patties. But honestly I bring a camp grill every where. Then pre make sausage over medium eggs cheese on a English muffins. Toss on grill and they are ready in a few minutes and delicious. Over medium keeps them half yolky still. But when wrapped in foil spray the inside with butter spray so the muffins doesn’t stick when cooked. Otherwise we stick to venison, steaks burgers and brats.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

We have some pie irons and like to buy the ready-made pie crusts and Apple Pie filling. Cut out squares from the pie crust just a bit bigger than you irons, brush each side with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then put one crust in the iron, some filling and the second crust on top and clamp the iron down. Rest the iron near the coals, flip it at about 3 minutes and let it go another 3 and voila! Campfire Apple Pie better than anything you eat on Thanksgiving!

And while not necessarily something you make on the fire, one thing I look forward to every camping trip is FRENCH PRESS COFFEE!!! I could make it at home two but then it’s not as special.

eyekatcher
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

We do the mountain man breakfast and peach cobbler in a dutch oven.

wiswalleye48
    Participant
    East Troy, WI

Pineapple upside down caked
    Fresh cake donuts (plain)
    Cut in half
    Butter inside of each half (soft)
    Sprinkle brown sugar on one of the half’s
    Add crushed pineapple (drained)
    Put both half together, wrap and seal in aluminum foil
    Cook on campfire grate or if raining in oven
    Turn over after a few minutes
    Ready to eat when butter is melted with brown sugar
    Let cool with aluminum foil opened
    Need fork-paper plate

wiswalleye48
    Participant
    East Troy, WI

Camping donuts
    Diner biscuits in can (off brands work great) warning buy enough for 3-4 per person
    Med sauce pan with 3-4” of cooking oil must be hot (test with a few drops of water)
    Cook only 3-4 at time, using tongs or fork flip once golden brown
    Using paper bag (lunch bag size ) add 1 cup of sugar in bag, as soon as you remove from the oil, drop bag and shake to cover “donuts “ and remove to paper plate to cool off for a few minutes

Add sugar based on amount of donuts made
    You also can add cinnamon to the sugar

fishingstar
    Participant
    central mn / starlake

we make pizzas in the pie irons. two pieces of bread pepperoni, cheese and pizza sauce in a squeeze bottle.

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

We’ve made the pizza Sammy’s and dessert pies in the “Pudgy pie” irons. My favorite is ham and cheese in them.
    We do chili cheese dogs over the campfire every trip, and I have a tripod I’ve taken and done everything from presmoked racks of ribs, whole roasts, fresh soaked corn on the cob and everything in between on over the campfire.
    Love thick sliced potato/onion/seasoning packets in foil over the fire too.
    We always have a camp grill with too (done several prime ribs at camp on them), but those campfire meals are awesome!!!

Brad Dimond
    Participant

We do chili cheese dogs over the campfire every trip!

Don’t forget an onion to chop for the dogs!

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Hobo tip: put a layer of cabbage in between all the fixings and tinfoil. This will keep everything else from burning. The cabbage that doesn’t burn adds some great flavor for the tent later.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but either get yourself a percolator that you can set directly over a fire / burner/ grill, or learn to make cowboy coffee. Camping sucks without coffee!

I have a 9 cup percolator and a 16 cup, depending on how many people will be hounding for coffee I’ll bring one or the other. Also works great if you rent a shack on the ice.

Pre-made breakfast burritos wrapped in foil, stick them over the heat and rotate a few times.

For camping, I do like to bring a small 6 or 8″ cast iron pan. Obviously wouldn’t be good for backpacking, too heavy, but usually I’ll just wrap it in a bag once cooled off and use it again and again without too much )or any) cleanup, depending on what was cooked in it. Bacon, fish, taco meat, everything cooks up good in the cast.

picklerick
    Participant
    Central WI

That’s a good tip about the cabbage. A simple recipe is to wrap canned biscuit or breadstick dough around a stick and let everyone toast up their own, hot dog style. Add butter and/or cinnamon sugar when they’re done. Speaking of hot dogs, skewer a dog or precooked brat long ways then wrap in dough and pass them around for everyone to cook their own.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.