Faribault Area Ice

• Bobby Kuennen

Anyone been out to check ice thickness? I plan to be out Saturday morning, thinking Mazaska but maybe Shields or French. New to the area so not sure what to expect. Plan to try for a walleye then shift to panfish.

David Blais

I’m heading out in the morning. I’ll post what I find. Word is 3-5 French has springs. Be careful out there

tcastilt
    West Central MN

Anyone know how Cannon is for the hard-water bite?

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Called the local bait shops in faribault and they said it is very sketchy ice everywhere around the area and should not trust it. wanted to find out my self so I called The snow was not and will not help coming up.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I was just wondering today how ice in the area has been (I’m from closer to the river but I’ll fish in the Faribault area). Thanks for providing the info for others guys.

Isaac

I went out last sunday 12/11/16 there was any where from 2 to 4 inches of ice on cannon lake …even tho we got snow the weather was cold enough to gain more ice as most lakes should be around the 4 to 6 iches in the faribault area…be safe and fish on…

Isaac

couple nice perch and a few walleyes although small in size …we only fished for 3 hours tho

Dan
    Southeast MN

Went out this afternoon/evening in Goodhue County, was very surprised to see 6-7 inches of ice. However, possibly due to the snow from last week, the top 2 inches or so weren’t as strong. Because of that I ended up breaking through that layer a few times, scared the hell out of me until I realized what the deal was.

David Blais

Found a solid 3” every where. There was as much as 6” in places. But as Dan stated, there is that layer of slush, some spots its frozen rock hard, others its soft. Below that layer of slush we found 3”

On a side note, after pulling my otter out, especially with all that powder on top of the ice, i will be building a smitty sled..

Bobby Kuennen

Hey guys, didn’t make it over to Mazaska yesterday but drilled holes around on local ponds in Northfield and found 4″ uniform. Ziggys bait said 4-6″ on all surrounding lakes. Stay safe and good luck!

Ryan P
    Farmington

Anyone know how the Ice is looking around Faribault. Heading down after work and wondering if I should grab the wheeler or not?

404 ERROR
    MN

I was out on Kelly spearing last weekend and had my wheeler out (before the rain). There was a good 6″+ in most spots, I avoided the slush areas. After the rainfall, I imagine most lakes in the are will have over 6″ pretty much all across. There are a couple wheel houses out on some lakes west of Faribault, so I imagine you will be fine. But as always, check as you go.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.