Fall Bass Patterns

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Hard to beat a buzzbait explosion

I agree, buzz bait fishing is intense. I’ll be going tomorrow and you can bet a buzz bait will be ready to go and tried at least for a while.

tim hurley
    Participant

Does this mean I have to say goodbye to my Choppo? (like a whopper plopper) Buzzys have so many misses, so does froggie- Choppo gives them the same commotion and a nice fat target, my hook-ups are about 90percent. (they do get bit off which someone is about to remind me of, but even easier for buzzie)
    I can see where a buzz could get deeper in w/o getting fouled, might have to have both rigged—hmm

FryDog62
    Participant

Key factor in using the buzzer over Plopper/Choppo is that you can throw it on top of most cover without grabbing too much of the weeds. Not perfect but better than the Choppo in that regard. If light cover, throw with a trailer hook. If heavier cover, one hook with a plastic trailer seems to work.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Frydog what trailers do you like on your buzzbaits? I’ve not used a buzzbait much but I’ve used a horny toad and a double tail grub. Not one of my trusted techniques at this point.

Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Loving this warm stretch. Getting a lot of bites on the Toadz, Billy Goat, Big Blade Chatterbait, and buzzbait with Toadz trailer. A lot of fish are swatting and swirling at the topwater. After about the 10th time setting into nothing the other night, I figured out what was going on. They weren’t eating the lure well over 50% of the time.

FryDog62
    Participant

Frydog what trailers do you like on your buzzbaits? I’ve not used a buzzbait much but I’ve used a horny toad and a double tail grub. Not one of my trusted techniques at this point.

I mostly use the Zoom Z Craw Jr. The Junior size is 3.5 inches and seems to be just the right length and the legs line up well with the hook point. Had been using a variety of 4 inch plastics before but wasn’t getting as good of hook up ratio unless I cut them down a bit.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Last weekend water temp 62 we could not buy fish if we had money very slow they were in a stuper. 2 different lakes one shallow and the other very deep. Lots of follows tried everything. Then Sunday night we each got 2 bass on crankbaits each that were all 4 20 inch large mouths off a point going from 5 to 20 FOW. With the weather coming up I think I’ll be putting the boat away soon I usually do OK till mid October then it’s just to cold on the hands for me. I even tried top water just no go.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

With the weather coming up

It does look like the first real cold front of the fall later this week. But towards the middle of next week I see 70 degrees again.

brandmoney
    Participant

Water temps right at 57 in the north woods. Bass are pushed up shallow into reeds/Lilly pads/rice on hard bottom. They’re eating frogs and jigs

FryDog62
    Participant

“They’re eating frogs and jigs”

Hence the buzzbait bite ~

mrpike1973
    Participant

Just saw the warm up as well another week never hurts grin

brandmoney
    Participant

Heading home this weekend to fish down in Faribault area, it’ll be fun to see how different it is down there compared to Bemidji. That area is always good for some big fish

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Got out last night on the little lake just down the road from my house. Started out with a couple surface lures and it was a no go. Switched up to a blade bait and it was game on for the next few hours. Couple dozen bass in a couple hours in the 14 to 18″ range. Very surprised for this little over sized duck pond. Pretty sure we covered the entire lake.

Bass Pundit
    Participant

The past two days’ trips had been fairly slow until about sunset when I wrecked them on a bluegill-colored R2S Bubble Walker on a few different island points. Got one close to 5lbs on Tuesday night. It may or may not be my big bass this year. I am pretty sure I haven’t gotten a 5lber yet.

Bass Pundit
    Participant

Got out last night for the last hour and a half of daylight. The Water temp dropped to 55 degrees. Caught a few pike on a flat then headed to the points. Got three quality bass right away on the Bubble Walker. Then I threw a new to me lure a Megabass Dark Sleeper in Haze color 1/2oz. Was hooked up with a 1.5lb fish immediately. Caught three more quality fish on the Sleeper in short order. Ran three more points as it was getting dark. Only got a bite on the last one, a 3.75lber that fell for a bluegill color Big Blade Chatterbait.

FryDog62
    Participant

Nice outing BP, Bubble Walker sounds interesting. The temps are falling steadily now… another 7-10 days of prime fishing before pretty much everywhere will be below 50 degree water temp.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I was out yesterday afternoon/Evening.was mainly after walleyes but did manage a few decent bass on rapala Husky jerk. As well as a few on a rattletrap. Had to work the husky jerk rather slow to get them to bite. That surprised me a little due to the water temps still being near 60. I threw a spinnerbait a little and never got a bite on it.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I did good this afternoon/evening with a friend. Caught 16 bass and 4 pike in about 4 hours. All on a green or white spinnerbait burned as fast as possible. North metro, water temp is 57 degrees.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3192.jpg

2. IMG_3195.jpg

3. IMG_3186.jpg

4. IMG_3189.jpg

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

This time of year I think it’s beneficial to start later on instead of early in the morning. The air temp yesterday at sunrise was a frosty 31 degrees, but by early afternoon it was 60.

Bass Pundit
    Participant

Nice outing BP, Bubble Walker sounds interesting. The temps are falling steadily now… another 7-10 days of prime fishing before pretty much everywhere will be below 50 degree water temp.

It’s a Megabass Pop Max clone by River2Sea. Love working it in the Fall when it’s calm as it is getting dark.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Was on Bald Eagle this morning for the first time since spring. Figured the frog bite would be really good but I only had one blow up all morning on it. Went to throwing a ned on mid depth rocks with weeds and got into a huge school of runts. Then found all the fish on docks after that. Black and orange rage bug was the ticket. Must be chasing crawfish around.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I have to imagine that the water temps actually rose a little bit with the warm few days we had but they are going to drop for a while now. I’m seeing another string of 60-70 degrees in about a week after this cool down too.

FryDog62
    Participant

Fished north of Grand Rapids Mon/Tues of this week. Deep/clear lakes – warm up slower in the spring and cool off later in the fall. Was actually still 58/59 degree water that far north. Caught mostly smb but a couple largemouth. Fish in 6-8 feet of water just outside of reeds. Chatterbaits, swim jigs, tubes. Windy!

Attachments:
    1. 91489331-B36A-45A0-82C8-7B43BC90999F-scaled.jpeg

2. 537E2470-A183-492C-9309-BEA34701530B-scaled.jpeg

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was a bit surprised to still find the smallmouth actively feeding on the shorelines of the Mississippi up north. Water temps mid 50s. Hitting bass jigs, crankbaits and spinner baits.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1665415946744.jpg

2. IMG_20221010_103123.jpg

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

What was the water temp? I fish the River up here,too.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Those are some solid fish. There’s a pretty good bite right now.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I went out for about 4.5 hours this afternoon and had my best outing of the entire season. I caught 31 largemouth and 1 pike. 13 of the bass were over 17 inches, including my biggest this season, a 20 incher. At one point I caught fish on four consecutive casts. Water temp is 51 degrees, north metro.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3209.jpg

2. IMG_3210.jpg

3. IMG_3206.jpg

4. IMG_3207.jpg

5. IMG_3208.jpg

FryDog62
    Participant

That’s a slammer of a day!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.