Fall Bass Patterns

• FryDog62
    Participant

Not officially Fall yet, but it is Sept 1 and for most – that means approx 60 days left to fish this season. A lot will change in the next few weeks – leaves, water temps, weedlines, etc. Feel free to report back here as far as what is working – depths, lures, patterns… or what’s not ~

Good luck!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The first quarter of “fall” looks more like summer.

Attachments:
    1. c764a1-20220831-noaa-8-to-14-day-temperature-outlook-3300-scaled.gif

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I was thinking about starting this thread since the fall transition had definitely began.
    Last weekend I found the best bite up shallow on flats in 4-7ft with weeds for the first time this season. Fish were actively chasing bait to the surface and feeding aggressively. A whopper plopper and a white swim jig were best but I also caught a few on a spinner bait. I was wishing I had a buzz bait with me to try. I tried the deep edge and a couple hard bottom areas with little to show for it. Nothing huge but good numbers of 2-3lb fish and a couple really nice pike.
    Water temps were 72-74 on the lake I was fishing.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Just like the bigger fish seem to be a little later to transition from the shallow water to the deeper weed edges in the spring, I also think the same thing happens in late summer/early fall. I normally notice the smaller fish showing back up in those shallower flats a few weeks before it seems like the larger fish do. Not that there are not some larger bass that spend their entire summer hanging out in those shallower water locations. Our last two outing were totally different. One the best bite was on Buzzbaits and swimjigs in shallower water and vary little action on the deeper weedline. A few days later on a different lake and we could not get any bites shallow and put a beat down on fish on the deeper weedline. I think we are in that period where different lakes are doing different things. If we should get a few colder days or even some colder nights I think that transition to fall patterns will progress rather fast. To me the key factor is how long those good looking green weeds last in the deeper water. Once those start to die off or turn brown, most fish seem to head shallower.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Makes sense to me Thumper. I saw good numbers shallow but the big ones I know live in that lake were MIA for me. I’ve noticed the deeper weeds have vanished on a couple lakes I frequent that have very heavy algae blooms.
    The lake I caught them up shallow on was much cleaner and had good green growth out to 12-13ft still so it’s definitely possible that the bigger fish were still deep somewhere and I just didn’t find them. A few cold days will really get everything in motion. I can’t wait.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Last year the fall bite never really materialized for me. I think it was because it was so freaking warm. We had our warmest meteorlogical fall on record here last year (Sept – Nov).

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Last year the fall bite never really materialized for me. I think it was because it was so freaking warm. We had our warmest meteorlogical fall on record here last year (Sept – Nov).

This summer it seems like the normal summer bite never materialized for me. Just could not get normal summer spots going for some reason. I do believe that it was also related to the Really warm water temps last summer. last year it seemed like the normal deeper weed growth just died off rather fast and a lot earlier than in most years. It also seemed like most of those same areas just didn’t seem to have their normal weed growth on them this summer at all. Then again it could be something else as well. I just wrote this summer off as the worst bass season I’ve had since moving to this area 5 years ago. That’s fishing I guess !!!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

This summer it seems like the normal summer bite never materialized for me. Just could not get normal summer spots going for some reason. I do believe that it was also related to the Really warm water temps last summer. last year it seemed like the normal deeper weed growth just died off rather fast and a lot earlier than in most years. It also seemed like most of those same areas just didn’t seem to have their normal weed growth on them this summer at all. Then again it could be something else as well. I just wrote this summer off as the worst <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass season I’ve had since moving to this area 5 years ago. That’s fishing I guess !!!

I completely agree with both of you guys. Last year was one of my worst fall bites and this summer has easily been the worst for me in a long time.

FryDog62
    Participant

I had tougher bites both Summers of the Covid era. Too much fishing pressure and last summer was hot for a prolonged period.

Forced myself out of a comfort zone and tried a bunch of new lakes starting last Fall through the present. I was looking for a good bite, but more importantly the right kind of structure. The weeds just aren’t what they used to be on some lakes.. extended heat, spraying, etc.

In 2020/21 I stayed with a couple bodies of water that got hammered and just went stale. Then, after deciding to experiment a lot more, this past Fall and most of this summer was a real improvement … hoping the bite stays strong through this Fall too.

Of course, I just took on a couple big work assignments and that could sideline me for awhile. Never know in this business, so now am wishin’ I was fishin’ …

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I had tougher bites both Summers of the Covid era. Too much fishing pressure and last summer was hot for a prolonged period.

Forced myself out of a comfort zone and tried a bunch of new lakes starting last Fall through the present. I was looking for a good bite, but more importantly the right kind of structure. The weeds just aren’t what they used to be on some lakes.. extended heat, spraying, etc.

In 2020/21 I stayed with a couple bodies of water that got hammered and just went stale. Then, after deciding to experiment a lot more, this past Fall and most of this summer was a real improvement … hoping the bite stays strong through this Fall too.

Of course, I just took on a couple big work assignments and that could sideline me for awhile. Never know in this business, so now am wishin’ I was fishin’ …

Last summer was maybe my best summer ever. The weedline bite stayed hot the all the way through Sept. When the neko stopped working, the Ned picked up the slack. This year the neko bite seemed to stop in July and the ned hasn’t been anything close to what it was for me last year.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Last year was one of my worst fall bites

Usually there is a time during the fall where the bite really kicks in. Its not necessarily at a certain time or water temperature or right before ice up, but it always shows up at some point. That just didn’t happen last fall. Presumably because it was just so warm until I stopped fishing in late October. It was still in the 60’s on deer hunting firearms opener, so maybe it occurred after I stopped fishing. The previous season there was a ridiculously good bite around the 10th of October.

The 10-14 day forecast looks more like summer. I don’t think much is going to change from what is working or not working right now until there is a noticeable, long term change occur.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

No activity here since the last post on 9/1. Is it because the fishing is so good that no one has time to post? or because the bite has been so poor that no one has anything to post? I have not been on the water after bass for a few weeks now. Looking at my schedule it looks like it may be a few more weeks before I can do so either. Hopefully after my Fall perch/walleye trip to Leech lake in Early Oct. I can get in some decent fall bass fishing prior to switching over my efforts for late fall Walleye.

brandmoney
    Participant

Water temps @ 65 degrees in Bemidji right now. Still not in fall patterns yet

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Is it because the fishing is so good that no one has time to post? or because the bite has been so poor that no one has anything to post?

I have been out fairly regularly, although most of my time has been devoted to muskie fishing instead which has been pretty good. When the muskies are biting, I try to take advantage of that.

Last time bass fishing the fish were definitely still in a summer pattern, as brandmoney stated. Water temps were still about 70 degrees. Caught them on the same pattern that was working since early August – shallow slop. Still fish holding around and under docks too. Its almost 90 degrees out today but there seems to be a weather change coming in tomorrow and it looks more “seasonable” in the forecast so maybe some sustained cooler temps will alter the bite. I have noticed that the pike have started their usual rampage with slightly cooler nights though. Just the other day I caught 19 of those slime darts mixed right in with the bass. I got one that was 35 inches.

FryDog62
    Participant

I got buried 3-4 weeks ago with a couple big assignments at work. The one day I snuck out, I kissed a rock doing 4-5 mph and cracked my lower unit. Yeah sounds like I need a Urologist lol. Getting fixed but don’t know how long… keep up the reports and rub in what I’m missing..

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I got buried 3-4 weeks ago with a couple big assignments at work. The one day I snuck out, I kissed a rock doing 4-5 mph and cracked my lower unit. Yeah sounds like I need a Urologist lol. Getting fixed but don’t know how long… keep up the reports and rub in what I’m missing..

Ouch. that one is not good. Hope the work gets done in time to get in on some fall action.

stevenoak
    Participant

Break out the Old Town!!

FryDog62
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

Break out the Old Town!!

No kidding! I have the trolling motor, batteries and Helix here… but left the kayak hull in storage in FLA. Man did I screw up, this has been perfect warm, low wind conditions for kayak fishing the past several weeks. Hope you’re getting out waytogo

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Water is warm up here still-73 – today. I don’t care for Winter, but when the temps drop, it will be great. I hope. Evening topwater bite has been decent for me. Good luck.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Saw that on Facebook Chris. That’s my biggest fear. Hopefully you get back on the water soon.

FryDog62
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

Saw that on Facebook Chris. That’s my biggest fear. Hopefully you get back on the water soon.

I was with JW from this site ripping across Pelican this summer in 4-5 FOW for a couple miles at a time and never got close to hitting anything… so many lakes in the past several years and never even a near miss. And then I’m doing a putt-putt cruise on a small local lake with no structure and BAM.

My time I guess ~

mrpike1973
    Participant

This last weekend Sunday night water temp 69 fished in less than 2 feet got pike and a walleye and a big bass all on Berkley Hit sticks and swim baits on jigs. Not fast action but they were moving shallow. Not a big Berkley fan but really liking the hit sticks over Husky jerks you can troll shallower with them and they just seem to catch more fish over the husky jerk. I think this week is really gonna start the change in weather for temps on the lakes

Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

A buzzbait with Hot Snakes Goat Toadz has been good to me in the past week. The bite has been noticeably better for me this month most of the time.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Fished locally for a few hours this morning and did decent. Caught 8 bass and a pike, including a few quality fish. Water temp is still almost 70.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3163.jpg

2. IMG_3161.jpg

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nice Gim, those look like some healthy bass. I haven’t been out in a week and won’t get out until my Hayward trip. 4 day guys weekend and staying on Round in an amazing place. Have to suck up to the wife so I’m still allowed in the house when I get back. jester

FryDog62
    Participant

Hard to beat a buzzbait explosion at sunrise – a 20 and 21 incher within 15 minutes of each other will wake you up. 62 degree water temps at least at the surface, I’m assuming a little warmer than that below, but temps are def coming down..

Attachments:
    1. 6E5DB1E5-FF8D-48B4-9D26-2A04BF781246-scaled.jpeg

2. 33A99EB0-2266-465B-BBB4-8E27FED0D784-scaled.jpeg

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Nice looking fish frydog. Nothing better than big fall bass on a Buzzbait.

FryDog62
    Participant

Thx Thump… had to post some kind of update. Started to think everyone was building deer stands and sharpening their ice augers already..

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Started to think everyone was building deer stands

Soon…

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Thx Thump… had to post some kind of update. Started to think everyone was building deer stands and sharpening their ice augers already..

Yep its been a while since I’ve been on the water chasing Bass. Hope to get back after them after this weekend. The only problem may be that I’m hearing that the fall Walleye bite is already starting to heat up. Only so many Hr’s in a day.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.