Face to Face with a Wolf

• live2fishmillelacs
    Blaine, MN

Wow what a day! Came face to face with a huge wolf! I was pulling a fence behind my ATV when it got stuck on a tree. I looked over my right shoulder to see how bad the fence was hooked on the tree and there he was, about 15 ft away.We had a stare down for about 5 minutes.He never moved! I finally took off, looking back to see if he was following. That will be the last time I go into the woods un-armed.!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

In Blaine?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

)

Normally when I have a stare down with a dog I just jump a little and say “woof”. Not sure if that works with a wolf though.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We’ve had wolves venture into the yard at the cabin while we’ve been out there where they come in. Some may seem curious but never have we seen any aggression from them. I don’t think there is a recorded instance of a wolf attacking a human in Minnesota. Maybe they have that “Minnesota Nice” gene bred into them. While I do feel that there are way too many of the dogs in Minnesota [my personal feeling is that 500 is plenty state-wide], I have never felt threatened by a wolf or wolves and I’ve had several encounters with them.

People need to remember that the wolves are the ones with a stranger in their back yard, not the other way around. Leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

We’ve had quite a bit of wolf activity at our family property on the Aitkin/Carlton Co border. The neighbor who cuts our hay had three lounging around the edge of the field while he was mowing. They didn’t even bother running away. We’ve seen wolves 6-8 weekends since mid summer. Heard a chorus of howling for 2 straight hours the weekend of the 18th. Needless to say the deer in the immediate area have been “sparse”.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In my experience as well, wolves are often curious about people. Our dogs are the only thing they will not tolerate.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I don’t think there is a recorded instance of a wolf attacking a human in Minnesota…Leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone.

I thought a child was attacked while earlier this year in the NE part of MN.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

There has been a verified unprovoked wolf attack in MN. One attacked a camper sleeping by Leech Lake. It was in the news. Large alpha predators can never be totally trusted. There have also been a couple cases in Canada and one in AK i beleive.

Mwal

live2fishmillelacs
    Blaine, MN

I am not saying that wolves will normally attack or stay around with a human, but being prepared because wild animals can be unpredictable. We are not talking about dogs or even wild dogs, we are talking about wolves.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wonder if dragging the fence attracted them? It seems to me from stories of encounters I’ve heard, they seem to be more attracted to loud noises than scared away? I say them too, because I assume that even though there are lone wolves, it is more likely that there were more hanging around that you didn’t see.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I am not saying that wolves will normally attack or stay around with a human, but being prepared because wild animals can be unpredictable. We are not talking about dogs or even wild dogs, we are talking about wolves.

I absolutely agree. Goes with any animal. A rabid or crazed coon could tear you a new one. Fox, coyote, you name it. I don’t go in the woods without at least a sidearm any more.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yup, the further from concrete you are, the more alert and prepared you need to be. Heck, even slippery rocks are dangerous.

live2fishmillelacs
    Blaine, MN

mplspug, I did run through 3 more times after seeing him. He did not
    show himself again.. but I “think” I heard him walking along with me, unseen of course lol. That may just be my imagination lol

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I guess I did read that. If that wolf had a deformity that forced it to scrounge can see it happening. By intentionally separating himself from the group of others this kid set himself up for problems. A bear with cubs cruising that lake’s shoreline could have ripped him a new one from several directions just for being there asleep. A cow moose with a calf or two could have come across the kid and stomped him to death in a heart beat. A healthy wolf might show curiosity but as mentioned in the article they much prefer to just go the other direction. We walked in a pack of 8 chowing on a wounded bear carcass near a bait station and they couldn’t get out of there fast enough. People are safer in the company of wolves than they are bear or even moose.

big_g
    Isle, MN

People need to remember that the wolves are the ones with a stranger in their back yard, not the other way around. Leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone.

Actually, man is just as natural a species on this earth and in the woods as any wolf. Man just chooses to build cities and wolves choose to stay out of them for the most part.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t go in the woods without at least a sidearm any more.

Slightly off topic, but does one need a permit to carry while in the woods? I seem to think the answer is no, but I’m not 100%. I know I should just get my permit, but I haven’t done it yet.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No. Not as long as its worn openly and visible. You cannot conceal it without a permit.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s just a sign of the times. It used to be an extreme rarity to see even a single wolf, but now I personally know two people who have both seen multiple wolves in just the past couple of months.

Bottom line is that if you are outdoors in the northern 2/3 of MN, you have to consider that wolves could be–and probably are–present. So the Boy Scout motto applies, be prepared.

What exactly that means is going to depend on what activity you’re pursuing, are you alone, do you have dogs with you, etc. But it’s now something that has to be considered. As far as threatening encounters with wolves, most of the ones I’ve heard/read about have the common thread of hunters or owners being out with dogs. Either dog runs into wolves, or wolves hone in on dog, and things get dicey fast.

Personally, I think wolf numbers are expanding at a rate VASTLY in excess of the DNR’s population estimates–which even the DNR admits are just guesses based on theories and assumptions. I think last year was a great year to be a wolf with deep snows that stressed all kinds of animals and made them much easier marks than they would have been for the wolves.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“Personally, I think wolf numbers are expanding at a rate VASTLY in excess of the DNR’s population estimates–which even the DNR admits are just guesses based on theories and assumptions. I think last year was a great year to be a wolf with deep snows that stressed all kinds of animals and made them much easier marks than they would have been for the wolves.” per Grouse

I’d have to agree with this wholeheartedly. The meager number taken during the hunts hasn’t done anything to turn the tide either. On our property near Two harbors this spring we found several kill sites made by wolves. Fortunately the deer numbers don’t seem to have dropped much in spite of the predation and deep snows.

As much as I love seeing the wolves and wildlife in general I do think that the wolf numbers are way, way out of balance with what they should be. If Minnesota had a population of 500 wolves scattered across the north that would be a great plenty. I’d bet the current wolf population is nearer ten times the 500…or more. And don’t forget that Canadian wolves don’t have to stop at customs.

A decent hunt program should be employed regardless of how loud the green people shout. Maybe a foreign market could be developed for the harvested animals. Don’t the Chinese use dog for stir fry? Still, the only way to get rid of the negative interactions between wolves and humans is to reduce wolf numbers significantly.

desperado

Troy says …

Attachments:
    1. choot-em.jpeg

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I run into wolves all the time up here, and while it was a bit spooky the first time–after doing my homework and all the experiences I’ve had with them–I’m not worried one bit. The situation with the kid “attacked” by the wolf last year was sadly preventable, and hardly counts as an attack. The wolf had a deformed jaw, was missing a canine tooth, couldn’t hunt for itself and was abandoned by the pack left to the resulting fate of having to scavenge for food. It was seen around the campgrounds at winnie for weeks unreported to the DNR, people at the campground were feeding it, and it had scratched under the tent of the family of the boy bitten by it not long before the boy went outside, laid down in the dark and was all of a sudden “attacked.” For all intents and purposes he probably had some scented shampoo smell in his hair that reminded the wolf of a muskmelon someone fed him the day before.
    I’m not saying don’t be armed going into the woods, but unless you have a pet or an infant with you; the last thing you will likely ever have to shoot in self defense is a wolf… With that said, please apply for wolf tags and help thin the populations down in the north woods, they’re seriously hurting the moose and deer populations like none other. If you have a tag and want to take a wolf, send me a message and I’ll tell you where some packs hang out =)

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Actually, man is just as natural a species on this earth and in the woods as any wolf. Man just chooses to build cities and wolves choose to stay out of them for the most part.

Well said Big G.

A few years ago I came about 10 yards from a bear on a logging trail. My heat started to pound and the bear took off busting brush as it went. When I got back to my truck and thought about it, his heart was probably pounding harder than mine. grin

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Whose underwear do you think was dirtier?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If you see a bear, the first thing you should do is take a selfie. Turning your back on a bear is a sign of dominance and the flash from the camera soothes the bear.

Disclaimer: I walked with 6 or so adult bears, a couple dozen 1-2 years olds and several cubs in the trees at Vince Shute’s Sanctuary before they built the viewing platform.

wkw

Mine are now…LOL
    Good one. Pug

wkw

What bear

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

It happened so fast that I never had time, lol.

He came around a corner and saw me and he was off no matter what was in his way. My heart rate was reeeallly elevated but since it was so fast there was no panic feeling.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

People conveniently say wolves ignore people etc. Published recent attacks
    12/17/12 trapper dragged of running snowmobile by wolf and got chewed up.
    11/08/10 school teacher Candace Berner was jogging when 2 wolves chased her down killing her in the Township of Chiginik Lake AK, 11/8/10 Escanaba MI the Director of Delta Coservation project was treed by a pack of wolves that chased him. So no the are not our furry little pals. Use common sense and have a plan of what to do if you are out with your dog. My brother gave up bear hunting by our Cabin in Barnes WI after people he he ran hounds with lost a couple hounds to wolves. THey plain and simple kill a smaller canine on site for territorial reasons. A wolf at each end of your your dog and use your imagination. People have lost dogs while bird hunting in MN, WI and MI as well.

Mwal

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.