F 150 do grill/deer guards work?

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Just wondering or do they fold up and do more damage than good?

Dave maze
    Isanti

They help. You will still have damage to your truck. Plus the damage to your grill guard. I have one hoping that I can drive home after a grill area hit.

David Blais

They do make those bumpers with the brush guard. Usually 3k. Those work good

catnip
    south metro

If you weld some barbed spikes on it you might also get to keep the deer.

Aaron Kalberer

I had a buddy hit a nice sized doe with his truck with a grill/brush guard and it apparently hit just the right spot ending in minor chassis damage to the truck. Had to have the frame straightened. They are great for saving the front of your vehicle but doesn’t stop them from rolling down the side of the truck, which seems to happen more often than not. I have the mindset that insurance is better protection for such an incidence than some bolted on addition.

catnip
    south metro

By the way your mechanic hates them. Grill guards not the deer.

Charles

Can ask a guy in my town if deer guards work lol..

Attachments:
    1. sheriff-cruiser-R8CFBM7d8IxWMhem7BPzhEJ-680x383.jpg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

WOWZERS! That sheriff must have been moving at a pretty good clip. What a mess!

I wonder if it will have that wonderful “cooked venison” smell afterward with all those little tid-bits caked on all the hot parts. mrgreen

Jim Clark
    Chippewa Falls, WI

We put them on our squad cars years ago to reduce costs for repairs due to squad car/deer accidents. Though they did reduce the costs substantially, there usually was repair work that needed to be done, both to the squad and the grill guards. Depending on how fast you’re driving, and how heavy the deer is, the guard will flex backwards, and can punch out the plastic grill area. Sometimes the guard bounced back to the original shape, most times not. And yes, mechanics do hate them because they have to reach further when bent over the guard to do their work….”Hard on their backs!”

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Depends on the quality of the bumper/brush guard. I have had Ranch Hand brand welded bumpers/guards on last 2 trucks. Have hit multiple deer that were not turned in to insurance because they protected the front end so well. One went down the side of the truck and dented door, but no front end damage. Some of the bolt together over seas junk I wouldn’t mess with though- those are just for looks.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Can ask a guy in my town if deer guards work lol..

At 114mph wile responding to a call sure did, the deputy didn’t even get hurt , thankfully.

Charles

Well other than crap his pants lol,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.