Crankbait Question

• cav90
    Participant
    Chisago City, MN

Here’s my problem. I’ve been marking a bunch of fish suspended down between 20-30 feet and I’ve decided to try and troll crankbaits to try and get a few. My problem is I can’t even get my crankbait close to that depth. I recently picked up a few rapala deep tail dancers. The box claims these run up to 30 feet deep, but I can’t get mine anywhere near that depth. I think I running right around 12-15 feet with it. I’m trolling using a medium heavy rod and 20lb fireline. Any advice on how to get the baits deeper? Thanks

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

How many feet of line are you putting out??? Are you using a line counter reel??? How do you know you are getting 12-15′ down???

big_dog_ia
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne

In Fisherman was just showing these the other night. I believe they ran 14 lb fireline with 150′ out to reach 28′

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

I can get Deep Tail Dancers 26-28 feet trolling with spiderwire stealth, 20lb, linecounter at 150 feet.

These are the deep tail dancers you have, and not just the regular tail dancers, right?

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

I would have the same questions as Lip. A TD-11 on 20 lb. fireline should have no problem hitting 30 feet. If my memory is correct, I think I was getting 28 feet at 180 feet of 10 lb. mono and 2 mph. I don’t remember the line length exactly, but I know the 28 ft. rock hump grabbed my crankbait. Make sure the lure is running straight also.

cav90
    Participant
    Chisago City, MN

Yes I am running the deep tail dancers. I know I’m getting 12-15 feet because I trolled up on a sandbar that starts at that depth and that was the first time I felt bottom. I don’t have a line counter on my reel, so my line out could be a little short. Does anyone know if those line counter that you attach to the rod work or am I better of with a line counter reel?

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Use leadcore line!!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Much more accurate with a line counter reel vs one you attach to your line. Its important to know how deep your crank is running when trolling over these suspended fish.

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Knowing how much line is out is CRITICAL in fishing these Suspended fish effectively. Those clip on ones work ok, bettter then none at all. I do not have my chart or conversions in front of me , but I run 20/6 Stealth and know I can get down to 30′. The other key thing is I calibrate my line counters and look to see what exactly 50,100,&150′ on the Line Conuter gives me for actual # of feet out. If your spool is not filled with line to the right level, you will be suprised how far off they can be. They need to be pretty much filled all the way before they become 1/2 way accurate.

The Deep Tail Dancers mainly come out of the box tuned fairly decent. I have only had 2 out of about 30-40 that were not tuned properly.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Don’t forget about snap weights, either. I’m still experimenting with mine and trying to learn how to use them (and the 50/50 method), but I know they’ll work in a situation like this. Won’t have to let out as much line, either. Just double wrap the line in the clip if you’re using Fireline, that way you won’t lose them as easily.

Walleyebry
    Participant
    Isle, mn.

Its true you need the correct amount of line on a line counter reel to be acurrate, but if you have the same amount on each set- up, this is more important. I have found that on 20lb. fireline, it takes me 92ft to reach 25ft. with 1 1/2 ounce snap weight 25ft. ahead of #11 DTD and 115 ft. to hit 30ft. at 2.2 mph.

erick
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

I see you rfromt he Chisago Lakes area and I knwo from past summers in August and such MANY of those fish you are talking about are Crappies if it is the chisago, South and Noth Center and Lindstrom lakes. In the past that is what we have found when running leadcore line and shad raps for suspended fish. Keep trying though sometimes you never know and the only way to find out is to try!

flatfish
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Brian Robinson’s post is important…..weights…in-line weights.
    We used this all the time out west in lakes like NE’s McConaughy, and Wyoming’s Glendo, Pathfinder, and Seminole.

Line counter reel, I don’t care, whatever line you want, and trust, stick on an 1 oz, 3 to 6 feet of leader, and tie on your crank. Head out to known 25 to 28 foot depth by your electonics, let out line til you tick bottom with the crank. It should pull lower than the weight. Mark depth on line counter. Head out to suspended fish! Have a blast, and tell everyone about it. take lots of pictures. Post on IDA web site.

MR. Robinson: aka Huskerduu? Where do you hail from?

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks flatfish!

Like I say, I’m still experimenting….but I know they work.

I was just out to Mac last week actually. Never fished the other lakes you mentioned, but want to someday.

I live west of Kearney near Overton, pretty much towards the middle of the state, right off I 80. It’s a drive to Mac, but a lot of times it’s worth it!

luer
    Participant
    Colfax,Wi

I’ll share my line counter method if you promise not to laugh.The “po-boy”,method is magic marker.Yup,I stretch my 100 ft tape out on the steet in front of the house and mark the street with masking tape.One piece of tape every 10 ft.Next is to run your lines down the street.You should be able to figure it out from here.The up graded “po- boy” method uses several colors of marker in repeated pattern(black,then red,then green etc)…
    I have one more….the portable po-boy !!! Oh yessss a marker and 10 ft references on my gunwale.No finned creature can evade my slip bobbers…

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Hey, if the po-boy method works, it works!!

luer
    Participant
    Colfax,Wi

Yes sir it does work and when you NEED to know depth of lure it’s priceless!
    I also use the po-boy method for bullet seating when I re-load…but that’s for another forum………

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.