Sickle Hooks for Walleyes

• john23
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve read some positive comments on sickle hooks for walleyes here. I ordered some for pouring jigs, and I’m wondering what the pros and cons are. Are there any situations in which traditional hooks are preferred over sickles? Thanks for the insight.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have used them on some hair jigs and they worked well. Liked the way they looked but not really sure if they preformed any better. They can get bent out of shape pretty easy.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

I’ve read some positive comments on sickle hooks for walleyes here. I ordered some for pouring jigs, and I’m wondering what the pros and cons are. Are there any situations in which traditional hooks are preferred over sickles? Thanks for the insight.

I cast sickle hooks in many of my jigs and, frankly, they are all that I carry for my personal use anymore. I do however use only the black chrome or black nickel hooks, none of the bronze or gold or red/colored ones.

There are a couple makers of sickles so shop around a little bit. I use Matzuo sickles and love’m. They are always sharp right out of the package and stay that way.

BullsNeyes
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Agree with Tom’s comments on Matzuo sickle hooks.

scott-k
    Participant
    Red Wing

Used a ruby red 1/32 ounce jig with a #4 black chrome sickle hook when bobber fishing for walleyes on Mille Lacs last weekend. Great hook ups and I like the gap in that hook too. Just another option for us tinkerers that is outstanding.

kickback
    Participant

I’ve been using Matzuo sickle hooks on my rigs and jigs for 2 years.Plenty sharp!!I prefer them to Gamakatsu’s.Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.