Extended boat motor warranty worth it?

• mrpike1973
    Participant

My warranty expires on 3/5/24. I got a warranty from Mercury asking $500 for 5 more years or lesser as the the years go down. Was thinking of doing the 2 years extra for $260. Usually I would trade about every 5 years but with the economy etc. etc. Like this boat the best so far. I plan to keep this one longer. Shop rates now are about $100 bucks an hour and sure will go up any thoughts? go the 5 years for 500 or?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That seems like a no brainer to me. I’d do it if you intend to keep the boat/motor for a longer period of time.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

No.
    I never get an extended warranty on anything.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t know the specifics of Mercy Extended Warranty. 1st, is there any prorated deductions for age or increase co-pay. Then, what is the actual coverage for labor? Could be worthless if you have to pay the majority

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I don’t know the specifics of Mercy Extended Warranty. 1st, is there any prorated deductions for age or increase co-pay. Then, what is the actual coverage for labor? Could be worthless if you have to pay the majority

Was thinking the same thing.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

personally i never purchase extended warranties…..my duaghter got burnt on one with a car she bought….even after i told her not too.

my reply to those that ask if i want an extended warranty…….if i need to buy the extended warranty…..maybe i shouldnt be buying this product……. usually get silence!!!!!

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

personally i never purchase extended warranties…..my duaghter got burnt on one with a car she bought….even after i told her not too.

my reply to those that ask if i want an extended warranty…….if i need to buy the extended warranty…..maybe i shouldnt be buying this product……. usually get silence!!!!!

waytogo Ain’t that the truth!

blank
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

waytogo Ain’t that the truth!

I have similar thoughts when people on here rave about a company’s customer service is when the product fails.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Its a Mercury Do it…… $260 is like 2 oil changes at the dealer.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Way too little information to go off of to know if it’s worth it. For every viable warranty out there, there are dozens that aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.

Remember – Mercury doesn’t lose money offering warranties. They’re not watching out for you, they are making money.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I believe he has a 25hp. Who goes to the dealer for oil changes on a small motor

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

I believe he has a 25hp. Who goes to the dealer for oil changes on a small motor

I was thinking a 115hp or 150hp LOL
    But to answer your question, Old people and people who have no business owning a boat, you know the guy at the ramp that takes 20 min to load.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I was thinking a 115hp or 150hp LOL

I think he has a Lund Rebel XL so it maxes out with a 60 hp.

duh queen
    Participant

Take the $500, put in into a mutual fund, and don’t touch it! Insurance companies don’t pay out what they take in, or they’d go out of business. Every family should be building a rainy day fund. If you’ve got toys you want/need covered, put the money in the fund and leave it there. Eventually you’ll have enough put aside to cover any incidental expenses you run into AND earn interest on it. If you can’t afford to build a rainy day fund, you definitely shouldn’t be buying more toys.

stevenoak
    Participant

A lot of variables. I meticulously over maintain. Rarely run over 2/3rds throttle. Don’t run the hours a year I used to. Some guys it’s balls to the walls like they stole it every weekend. Maintenance if they get to it. Then the warranty provider. Corner car lot 50/50 warranty. Had a customer buy one and had the tranny go out. Bill for $1200 for used transmission. That they may have paid $300 for. Then labor triple what it should be. But they paid half. They made over $1000 honoring a warranty. One way to look at it. If you financed the boat rather than being able to pay cash. Maybe $250 or $500 would be better than 5 or 6 grand to put a new power head on. Warranties suit everyone different, some people $20 a month to ward off several thousand is piece of mind. Maybe the difference of the boat sitting a couple years. Other thing, since Covid most manufacturers are having problems they didn’t use to.

blackbay
    Participant

If you have one of the Chinese 40 to 60 hp I would take the 5 year extended warranty if you can float it.

mrpike1973
    Participant

It’s a 25 HP supposedly built for Mercury by Tahatsu. Mostly concerned if a powerhead or lower unit would go out. Generally I agree extended warranties have never been good for me. Will check out the fine print for if it is pro rated or not. Thanks for the insights. In 3 years I would think I would know if it’s good or not so far just 1 minor issue fixed under warranty. SO I think it’s looking good smirk

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Run out the original factory warranty. By that time you will know if you have a lemon or not.

mojogunter
    Participant

I sure hope your joking. If not you’re a complete douche.

Take the $500, put in into a mutual fund, and don’t touch it! Insurance companies don’t pay out what they take in, or they’d go out of business. Every family should be building a rainy day fund. If you’ve got toys you want/need covered, put the money in the fund and leave it there. Eventually you’ll have enough put aside to cover any incidental expenses you run into AND earn interest on it. If you can’t afford to build a rainy day fund, you definitely shouldn’t be buying more toys.

Jake D
    Participant
    Watertown, SD

I agree with this to a point. What are you supposed to do if you get a $2,000 bill. Just wait 6-8 years to fix it?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I guess it will boil down to how the extended warranty works. Is it just like the original warranty or are there deductibles etc? I had never purchased extended warranties until my wifes current vehicle and SUPER glad we did! The engine went down and its getting a factory remanufactured engine and no cost to us. Thankfully I got the call yesterday that the engine came in yesterday and they are starting to tear it down. 3 months to the day from when they put the order in.

duh queen
    Participant

Everything in life involves some sort of risk. My 50hp OMC is pushing 44 years old this summer. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve done a repair, and the total for those repairs is still under $500. So maybe the real argument is “is it worth more to educate myself in repair techniques than to pay somebody for a warranty I’ll probably not use?”
    Now ask yourself, when was the last time you actually knew that the power head on a motor less than 15 yrs old failed is the unit wasn’t abused? Fear sells. Companies exploit that fear all the time. Fear of not being beautiful enough drives the cosmetics industry. Fear of not measuring up drives the ED industry. Should the fear of the extremely remote chance of a powerhead failure cause you to lose sleep or the enjoyment of using your boat as designed? Not me.

duh queen
    Participant

Pardon me mojo, but your immaturity is showing………….KIDS THESE DAYS………..

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Should the fear of the extremely remote chance of a powerhead failure cause you to lose sleep or the enjoyment of using your boat as designed? Not me.

I dont think anyone is suggesting they are living in fear of any of these things, but motors these days cost a helluva lot more to repair than you 44 year old OMC. Heck, I take the cover off my suzuki and I have no idea where the spark plugs even are. No chance I am going to try and figure out how to tear into that boy with all the electronics, modules and gizmos on there.
    For the record there are a list of late model power head failures by certain manufactures. Naming ETEC with the larger displacement motors. No way I would want to have one of those without some warranty. A buddy just bought a used boat on it with a blown ETEC powerhead on it. He got $20,000 off because of that and its putting a Yamaha on it.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

A lot of variables. I meticulously over maintain. Rarely run over 2/3rds throttle. Don’t run the hours a year I used to. Some guys it’s balls to the walls like they stole it every weekend. Maintenance if they get to it. Then the warranty provider. Corner car lot 50/50 warranty. Had a customer buy one and had the tranny go out. Bill for $1200 for used transmission. That they may have paid $300 for. Then labor triple what it should be. But they paid half. They made over $1000 honoring a warranty. One way to look at it. If you financed the boat rather than being able to pay cash. Maybe $250 or $500 would be better than 5 or 6 grand to put a new power head on. Warranties suit everyone different, some people $20 a month to ward off several thousand is piece of mind. Maybe the difference of the boat sitting a couple years. Other thing, since Covid most manufacturers are having problems they didn’t use to.

Life is about WOT, load it like a rail car and drive it like a stock car.
    Yup, drive it like you stole it.

Is there any other way?

Askin for a friend. whistling

mojogunter
    Participant

I stand by my statement. You telling someone you most likely don’t know anything about, what they can or can’t afford makes you a complete douche. All that being said, getting back to the original topic. It being a 25HP motor and the warranty for $500, I think it would be best to let it run and hope it lasts. If it were a much bigger motor that if a power head failed and a replacement were 7k-15k then that $500 would be money well spent. The smaller motors if well maintained should last for years and years.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Life is about WOT, load it like a rail car and drive it like a stock car.
    Yup, drive it like you stole it.

Is there any other way?

Askin for a friend. whistling
    [/quote]

I do not baby anything. Wide open throttle every motor I own. But maintenance is a key factor. I don’t buy anything to baby it. My mother on my boat is a 91. And it is flawless. Rarely has a easy day on the water. But again maintenance is key.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

IMO no way is an extended warranty worth that much on a 25 hp and here’s why.

I work on the occasional outboard. About 90% of what I fix falls into the category of lack of use / owner neglect. Rarely do I see a mechanical failure that would be covered by a warranty.

If the outboard makes it past the factory warranty, it’s highly likely it’ll need nothing for years to come.

duh queen
    Participant

I stand by my statement. You telling someone you most likely don’t know anything about, what they can or can’t afford makes you a complete douche. All that being said, getting back to the original topic. It being a 25HP motor and the warranty for $500, I think it would be best to let it run and hope it lasts. If it were a much bigger motor that if a power head failed and a replacement were 7k-15k then that $500 would be money well spent. The smaller motors if well maintained should last for years and years.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>

Ya know, opinions are like butts. Some people’s are bigger than other’s, and they stink. I’ve always said that if you want to meet a blowhard, post something. Every self-appointed expert (NOT!) will chime in.
    And as Mr Grouse pointed out, paying a $500 premium for a 25hp motor is a sucker’s bet. If you think that for a moment that some company will offer an extended warranty for a $15k motor and only charge $500 for three years, I’ve got some swampland in f Florida, and a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

500$ for a 15k motor? That 25hp is nowhere near that.

I’m on the no extended warranty side for that size of motor. I tried looking at power heads for that motor and a new one is not going to cost much more than a grand. Pretty rare in that motor to blow a power head. Lower unit will be even cheaper.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.