I’m finally getting to Lake Erie!!!!

• mkrakau
    Waukee, IA

Looks like I am finally going to make it out to Lake Erie. I’ve been wanting to get there for a few years and things just never worked out for me. I’m actually going to be in Columbus for work so I’m going to head up to Erie with a buddy April 20, 21, 22.

I could use all of the help I can get here….will this be a good time to go? Hopefully things won’t be over by then . Lot’s of questions here:
    -Any suggestions on where to stay? I’ve always heard about Port Clinton – would it be beneficial to stay at Put-in-Bay? I’d like to stay close to where the bite will be if possible.
    -I have an Alumacraft TP 175 with a 150 Opti on it – hopefully that will be enough boat?
    -Is it necessary to have a marine band radio? If so, anyone have experience with a hand-held?
    -Any suggestions on what areas to fish (GPS points??) and baits/techniques would be GREATLY appreciated!!

We will only have 3 days, so hopefully the wind will cooperate for us. I would LOVE to get into some of those big girls! I apologize for all of the questions, but would really like to maximize this short trip. Thank you!!

-Mark Krakau

buck-slayer

If you stay on the island you can still get out fishing if its windy. The bar in town takes a large group out every year for a week. A few years back they only fished 2 days because they stayed on the main land. We troll alot and have had alot of success doing that.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Most of my Erie fishing has been to the east in PA, and NY. In PA the fishing can be great this time of year just casting rapalas from shore at the river mouths at night. I dont think your going to have any problem finding fish shallow. You have more than enough boat, and lots of water to fish. If te lake gets too rough, take it easy and get of the lake.. its that simple. I fished it extensively with a standard 16′ boat and a 40 hp motor.. you will be fine.. but dont push it. Be sure you check the COAT GUARD requirements for great lakes. You must have flares, an audible device, and a couple other things. They do check frequently and dont give warning tickets.

I am not sure if the OH side gets steelhead moving in the spring. If they are like the PA side, they will give some action also. Bonus big browns can show up too. Erie has phenominal smallie and perch fishing too.. do some research before heading that way. There should be some bait shops that will give you some good general info, or what to expect in that time frame.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

I sent you a pm. Forgot to mention that we fished just out of the harbor which was only 5 minutes or so from Camp Perry. We fished just outside the mud slick West of the Artillery range. Ooh, And that’s another thing use your GPS to get out of there if they just happen to use it. Minor missing detail. Email or call me if interested.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Can’t help you with any fishing tips.
    but you asked about having a marine band radio.
    I’d say that is a MUST have in the boat, IF for nothing else than the safety you’d have if you had mech problems. you can call other boats or the CC. antenna’s and reception is line of sight, so the longer the antenna the longer the range. Put in a permanent radio, and at least a 4′ ant, 8 feet is even better.
    Most marine radioes also have 10 NOAA preset weather channels, wherever you are, you can always get at least one of the channels. Wind (and the resulting waves) will probably be the most adverse weather you’ll experience.
    Here is Wade’s web site for his radio deals:

Wade Marine Bands

Good Luck,
    Jack..

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I’ll be there the same time as you. We are going to be there from 4/20-4/27. This year we only have three boats due to a wedding, normally we have five. We go every year on the last full week of April. We stay in a cabin out on Put-in-bay and pull cranks and worm harnesses all the way from the Camp Perry reefs to Kelly’s Island. It just depends on the water temps and how far past spawn as to how far east they have moved. You definetly need a radio not only for your safety but to pick up valuable fishing info such as location, depth and lures being used. Most hand helds are only 5 watts, not very much range, especially if the weather is bad. As far as your boat goes I have a Lund Pro-V 1775 with a 150hp Merc which is pleny of boat. We have people in our group with a Mr. Pike with a 90hp that do fine. You did not say anything about a kicker motor. This time of year you definetly need a kicker with a troll master on it. The jig bite is all but over, you’ll need to troll for the hogs. You’ll need planer boards and cranks such as Reef Runners or Husky Jerks. You’ll also need a GPS to make sure you don’t cross into Canada and to mark your spots out in the open water. If you want PM your phone # and we can talk a little more in depth.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Kicker Back! Let me know if he’s out there again.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Ya, you’ll defietly need a radio to listen to ol’KICKER BACK

WalleyeRanger

If you stay @ Put-n-Bay I doubt if you make it out fishin, just kidding, any way if the weather will allow you the best bet is to fish around camp perry reefs or west there of, the fish will stack up clear to the toledo towers in 10 to 20 ft of water, I usually jig purple hair jigs with lake shiners, since your boat isnt that big, I wont get send you out to where the big girls are, I do know the issues that can arise, if you could get out there around the catawba Island in 30 fow troll reef runners at o.9 mph youll sure to strike gold, a gps is a must also a marine radio, I would never venture out onto that lake without at least two gps and two marine radios, you can get turned around quickly and loose sight of any land quickly or the fog could deter your viewing, channel 16 on the radio, you may call me on my cell phone 319-981-5433 I just may be out there then and I would be more than happy to take you guys out on my 33ft sportcraft. not much to stop me other than wind, I can handle 6-8 ft but I dont like it and we will chase em down I have trailer there @ wild wings resort, I fly back n forth weekly as I own my own plane also, keep in touch and well see where Im at on the dates you mentioned. good luck & good fishing charlie

WalleyeRanger

I like a real loud one ya know with some ac-dc in it or something like that, I dont think the spawn will be over when them guys go, things are strange this year, Im not going out on that lake with less than 20ft under my little as you know Im just a little guy, Ive been tossed around before, I once was out by Pelee Island in Canada, a storm came from no where 45 and 60 mile an hour wind driven rain and hail, never thought I would live to tell it, I take the Ranger out there latter in the summer now thats a roller coaster ride. maybe I just might have to be there, I have so much fun there.

mkrakau
    Waukee, IA

WOW!! Thank you for all of the responses!

Traumatized – We do have a 9.9 Pro Kicker, so should be able to troll at the necessary speeds. Since we’re going to be out there at the same time – let’s hope the weather cooperates. If we end up staying on the main land, would it be tough to catch a ferry to the islands so we could still fish? I see you’re from Iowa as well…If you see a silver/black Alumacraft with an IA registration make sure to flag me down!

Ranger Walleye – thank you very much for the offer! We’ll have to keep in touch as time gets closer. By the way, a 33′ Sportcraft is not a boat….it’s a ship!! I’m leaning towards staying around Wild Wings, Camp Perry or Turtle Creek and figured I could always drive to Catawaba and launch there or catch a ferry to the islands??

traumatized
    eastern iowa

You can catch the ferry no problem. Last year for a round trip for truck, trailer and two people was $90 to South Bass. I sent you a PM

buck-slayer

The local bar was out there last week. They were only able two get out 3 days out of seven. They brought fatheads with them and jigged out on the reefs by the islands. They caught mostly small males but there biggest was 32-1/2″ and just under 12lbs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.