Erie trip in May

• walleyehunter6
    Freeport, IL

Planning on heading to Lake Erie May 4th-7th. Was wondering if there would be any information as of what type of presentation would be working best at that time. I am thinking night crawler harnesses. I am not sure what size bottom bouncers I would need. I am thinking about trying to find a place to camp. If you have any information in regards to this please send me a pm or reply back to the post. I’ll thank you in advance for your help. walleyehunter6

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

There is a place called Turtle Creek. It is about 10-15 mins west of Port Clinton. You can launch, rent a slip, camp, and clean fish there. The location is very nice for that time of year as well. You won’t be running too far away to find fish. That time of year is going to be a transition from jigging the reefs and starting the trolling season. I have had a lot of success during that time of year. You just have to be flexable.
    I leave next Tuesday for Port Clinton and that is where I will be launching every day for a week. Ask them for a weekly rate, otherwise it is five or eight dollars each time. Good Luck.
    FDR

walleyehunter6
    Freeport, IL

Eyetroller thank you for the information. As you can see being from Illinois there is not a whole lot of big water around here. What are you taking for a big boat. What would you consider big enough. As far as the beginning of the trolling season are you referring to crank baits or night crawler harnesses? What about lines? Do you use braided like the river or mono what would you recommend? First time to Lake Eerie, pretty excited, hope I don’t have too many questions. Looking for the 10lb’r for the wall. Don’t know if this is the right time of the year or not. You say you don’t have to travel very far. How far do you have to travel out? I do have a GPS, is there any other gear you would recommend to have before going out? Thanks for the reply back. Good luck on the lake. Let me know how you do. Walleyehunter6

buck-slayer

This will be my 3rd year going to Erie. We mostly troll with Smithwicks and Thundersticks. My advice is to stay on Small Bass Island if its windy and your staying on the main land you won’t get out fishing. when staying on the island you can get on the oppisite side of the wind and still fish. There is a campground right next to the public landing.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Walleye Hunter, you have a pm.

dallgood
    Savage,MN

I have never fished Erie, but my Father in law booked us a trip out of Port Clinton in late May. We are going out with a guide. He’s been going for a couple of years now and says the fishing is awesome. Should I bring some of my own gear and if so what? Any info is appreciated. I’m having trouble finding a flight. Do you drive out or fly? Thanks d.

HOOSIER
    West Salem, Wi.

going to marblehead, oh. on the 15th of april, for five days, 1 week later this year , then last year. did real well last year, hope for the same this year. pm how you did, i will do the same

ccook
    Hastings Mn

Walleye hunter 6,
    If you are headin’ out to Erie in may the majority of the larger fish will be from north of kellys island to the east side of the bass island. That time of year I put in at Mazuriks and head straight to the north side of Kellys island. Start with a spinner program if the water is 50 or better. I usually run a snap weight program and vary the depths at which I run my spinners, I call it the bottoms up program. Watch the graph and if your marking walleyes fish slightly above em and give them a few good passes. If you dont make contact, head north west to about middel bass island and start all over. youll probably see charter boats and that should tell you somthin, dont crowd em just use them as a starting point. If still nothing, head north to the border and troll west to the tip of north bass and again same program. You’ll probably have started poundin’ em by this point, but if not keep wraping around the islands and I promise you will contact some big fish. All I ask is that you practice selective harvast and enjoy the finest walleye lake in the country. Best of luck and God bless!!

cdemeyes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.