Lake Erie: Huron Hogs

• ccook
    Hastings Mn

Well just got back from lake Erie and the walleyes did not disapoint. This was my second trip out there this fall, my first trip was a littel frustrating to say the least. Early in Oct. the fish were going strong out of vermillion and I was workin with some friends and they did really well. Frustrating part was I was runnin the same program, same speed, same spoons and just couldnt get them to go .
    Last week I found redemption ! This time of the year when the water hits the upper 40 degree mark, there is a major move of shad toward the rivers and shorelines. When this happens the walleys follow the shad right in and strap on the feed bag. The shad are real high fat food source and these walleyes are preparing for the winter and the spawn next spring so getting these fats are critical to the whole cycle. The great thing about the late fall bite on Erie is your right next to shore. Instead of running 13-15 miles out into the lake youre out 2 and catchin big walleyes.
    The bite was awsome ! I fished an area 2 miles west of the huron river mouth and never had to leave that general area for three days. Water clarity was stained from the NE blow they had a few days before, but it was fishable. As I ran the area I fished, I marked alot of fish from 16-18 feet down and I also noticed some nice marks real high in the water. I set my program the run my deep reef runners 30-40ft back and I also ran 2 ripsticks 30-65ft back to fish those high fish. With in 20 minutes I had my board rip behind the boat and in came a real fat 27.5 in walleye ! I could not believe how fat these walleyes were. We ended up catching about 25 walleyes a day and the majority of the fish were 8-9 ft down over 28ft of water. We boated 9 walleyes between 27-30 inches and 11 from 25 up to 27 and didnt catch any under 20. The fish didnt want it fast. We ran speeds around 1.4 mph and when they hit it, they destroyed it !
    This late fall bite on Erie is one that is hard to rival. When all the right conditions line up you wont find much like it anywhere. If you get the chance, you need to check it out ! I’ll post the pictures later tonight, might need Rip’s or BK’s help, sorry guys havent really taken the time to learn yet, I will this winter when things slow down ! Best of luck!!!

cdemeyes

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice to hear from you again. Congrats on some beauties.

Send the pics my way and I’ll ge thtem up for you.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

TANKS

Next Summer LOTW is a definite for us Corey! Congrats on some dandies!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Another Fall suspended FISH.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Last One!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Awesome pictures (and fish)….thanks Rob for posting .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.