Planer boards with braid??

• dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I’m experimenting with the Church walleye boards and set

them up to release and slide down to a swivel above the

crank.

Consequently I’m pulling the board from the back side of the

clip (per the instructions). Could this be the reason that I can’t keep the boards from diving?

I have adjusted the weight to the back of the board and they still dive on me.

I’ll have to experiment with putting the line through the front of the clip so that the board stays attached to the line, having to be released to land the fish, and hopefully keeping the boards from diving.

How do you guys set up your planer boards??

Thanks!!

outdoor_guy
    Participant
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

I use Off Shore Boards with the “Snapper Clips” 1 Wrap and lock them onto the front snapper clip. Then put slack into the line to the back pinch type clip to allow the Tattle Tale flags to work. I do not like the board to release (easy to lose) Don’t like it to slide down to a swivel even if it’s 6′ from the fish. (too many shake off)

walleyehunter01
    Participant
    west central wisconsin

with the type of boards you have and using braid or fire line, you will have wrap the line around the first line clip on your board.

Gary Sanders
    Participant
    Lake Wisconsin

Quote:

I use Off Shore Boards with the “Snapper Clips” 1 Wrap and lock them onto the front snapper clip. Then put slack into the line to the back pinch type clip to allow the Tattle Tale flags to work. I do not like the board to release (easy to lose) Don’t like it to slide down to a swivel even if it’s 6′ from the fish. (too many shake off)

Ditto that. You just need to be careful you don’t give them too much slack when you reel in and remove the board.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Quote:

with the type of boards you have and using braid or fire line, you will have wrap the line around the first line clip on your board.

Yup, gotta do it.

As for not putting slack in the line when reeling in a fish, that’s something you really need to pay attention to. Disconnect the board and have the guy reeling in the fish reel down to your hand while you have the line. This ensures no slack in the line. When he reels down to your hand, let the line go and he fights the fish, not the board. Takes a little practice, but after a few times, you’ll have er down.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Do you wrap the line around your clip that is attached to
    your flag?

Thanks!!

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

Yup, gotta do it.

As for not putting slack in the line when reeling in a fish, that’s something you really need to pay attention to. Disconnect the board and have the guy reeling in the fish reel down to your hand while you have the line. This ensures no slack in the line. When he reels down to your hand, let the line go and he fights the fish, not the board. Takes a little practice, but after a few times, you’ll have er down.

That which was said above and I would add the use of a 10’6″ St. Croix Wild River medium action rod. These rods allow for the pressure to stay on the fish while unclipping boards with fish on. I lose very few fish doing this. I put the person with the rod up in the bow and I run the line through my hands until I can unclip the board. Once done, just lift the line and release back to the person reeling and get the net!!!!

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Chris,

Hopefully I get to the point of having to deal with taking

the boards off of the line. As soon as they start diving I

go back to long lining behind the boat. Frustrating to say

the least.

Hope your recovery is going well!!

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks! All is going great!
    Question, are you keeping your rods high to keep the front of the boards up? Some lures like Deep Tail Dancers and Reef Runners just plain exert a lot of pressure on the board. But I have never had to tune and Off-Shore or a Chuch/Roach board…and I use both.

smackem
    Participant
    Iowa Marshall Co

I use those boards and Power Pro braid. Never have had to wrap the line although I don’t use trolling bobbers that much

Brad Juaire
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

How do you guys set up your planer boards??

Thanks!!

I prefer to change out the front clip of my Church walleye boards and replace them with an OR-18 Snapper Adjustable Tension In Line Planer Board Release. There’s a tension screw that you can easily adjust. When using braid, I also like to double wrap them to ensure they don’t slip. Some great tips above on how to remove the board. Another mistake some anglers make is when they get a fish on they take the motor out of gear. I may slow down a little bit but by keeping the motor in gear helps keep constant pressure on the fish while taking off the planer board.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Hey Brad,

When you double wrap do you go over the top of the bottom

of the clip (from the back of the board) or do you wrap

from underneath the bottom of the clip?

Thanks,

Dan

Brad Juaire
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I double wrap them in a clockwise direction between the tension screw and the top of the OR-18 clip. I’ve also tripple wrapped them in really rough conditions too. Does this answer your question dandorn?

Craig Parsons
    Participant

Did you ever find a solutions to using braid, so that you can pop the line and let the board slide freely to the swivel?

I currently run a 4’-6’ leader, to swivel, with a bead on the main line so the board does not hit the fish and knock it loose.

I would like to keep the same set up but switch over to braid.
    Thanks Craig

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

I use the OR-18 snaps too. But I run 50 lb power pro as my backer. When I retire my dipsy diver lines I use it as backer line on my trolling set ups. Thick enough not to slide in the clips.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.