How to change oil in a Mercury 115 four stroke?

• nhorob67

I recently bought a boat w/ a 115 Merc Four Stroke? I would greatly appreciate if someone could run through the steps on how I change its oil? Also, please let me know of any other tips on what I should do before I take it out on the water for the first time.

Thanks!
    -Nick

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

If it’s anything like my 75, I’d do the following. There’s a hex head drain plug for the oil on the side of the lower unit housing right under the main motor housing, and a filter under the hood. Drain it, pull the filter, replace with a quality marine oil and filter. I’d also do the lower unit, two screws, one on the bottom of the unit by the skeg, the other a bit higher on the same side. I use the tire wrench that came with my Yukon to get the screws out, you want a beefy wide flathead (did I just say beefy flathead with out trying?). Get the bottom one out, then unscrew the top one, this will make the oil drain out of the unit by gravity. I would highly suggest a lower unit hand pump to replace the oil, it is very viscous. The pump allows you to attach to the bottom hole and pump the unit full until it drains out of the top hole, screw the top screw in, disconnect the hand pump and quickly screw the bottom plug in. The best thing I did when I bought my boat was to buy a manual for the motor, I believe it is by Climbers (sp)? Everything laid out, pictures, even a cave man like me can follow the directions. Good luck and be safe!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Fuel filter too! Port side under the hood on mine! Plugs too would be a good idea, get them from an auto parts store if you can much much cheaper, same thing.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Here’s the manual, best $20 you’ll spend to take care of your motor. I’m not sure of the year of your motor, but if it falls into the year span of my manual, I can share details with you about your motor as it covers multiple makes and models. PM me is so? Good luck. I also have the lower unit pump if you want, not sure where you’re at location wise.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Save ya $20. Here’s the scans from the manual. Mine’s a 2004 115 Merc 4-stroke.

Eric

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Cool CE, wasn’t sure if it was ok to do that!

nhorob67

Thanks for the responses guy! Much appreciated!

nhorob67

Is there an easy way to download the pictures you’ve posted??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.