Mercury Smart Gauges

• Fishmojo
    Participant
    Boring, Oregon

Doing some research on big outboards and saw that the Merc Optimax have this system with their “Smart Gauge” that allows RPM’s to dial down from normal 900RPM to 450 or so for trolling applications. Does this work as advertised? What is the lowest trolling speed. Does this foul plugs?
    Thanks

Fishmojo
    Participant
    Boring, Oregon

42 views and not one answer-
    whats up with that??

dustin_stewart
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Fish mojo,

Wish I could help you out a bit but I run Yamaha Motors and don’t know a thing about the smart gauges. No need to worry, someone will have something to share on this product.

I am going to give my 2 cents anyway. If you are looking to get around buying a kicker motor I would highly advise against it. A good kicker motor is worth it weight in gold for someone who slows trolls in current. You will see much better boat control allowing you to follow those tight contours and stay on you target area much better

Just my opinion!

tony_apisa
    Participant
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Hey there Fish Mojo,

I could see using your main outboard for trolling if you are running planner boards in fast current and heavy winds. Other than that I use my kicker,it’s worth its weight in gold as Dustin has mentioned.

Mercury does have a motor that is a 2+2. While at idle speed to a certain rpms (cant remember the range on rpms) the motor is only running on two cylinders, when you max out on the lower rpm range the other two cylinders kick in. I hope this helps you out some.

I also would not recommend using your main outboard constantly for slow trolling. Just my two cents.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I was in a boat that had the 2+2 and it still didn’t slow troll down low enough…I did some research on the kicker motor and I came up with the best bang for the buck was the Yamaha T-8…it prices out higher that other 4 stroke kickers but the options make it stand alone, Gear Ratio(made for trolling)Big Fat Ugly White Prop (along with the gear ratio it helps keep the control of the boat better then any other) built in power trim and tilt is an excellent feature..(you have to add a panther lift if you want that feature)

tony_apisa
    Participant
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Thanks for the info on the 2+2 Dave.

gary_wellman
    Participant
    South Metro

2 of my buddies have the 2+2. One is a 115 Merc, the other a 125. The 2 operating cylinders rotate amongst the 4. There is no cylinder load up of fuel. The other 2 cylinders kick it at 2000rpm.

The 115 is on a Lund Pike 17. Can’t troll slow enough for eyes.

The 125 is on a Ranger 18′ Cherokee. Can’t troll slow enough…….slowest speed is about 1.5. We rigged up 2 drift socks that we mount off the bow, one on each side. They are all inter-connected, so it keep the bow nice and straight. With that, we can slow down to about .6 or .7 mph.

The other note on this motor, is that they are not the fastest starting motors………They seem to be real “cold-blooded”. I’m not knocking my buddies rigs, but I wouldn’t buy one, after working in their boats……….

DeeZee
    Participant
    Champlin, Mn

mojo,

Unfortunately I do not have an answer for you on the reliability of the smart guages and their adjustability. My 225 Optimax runs at about 650rpm at idle speeed. I have never played with the “Smart Craft” guages to know how well this works as I do not rely on my big motor for trolling applications. I have heard of several tiller guys utilizing this feature for back trolling on the 135 motors.
    Perhpas someone else would have a better answer for you.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That Smart Guage package was all the rage a couple years back but I haven’t heard beans about it in some time. Is it still offered on the newer Optis or did it get scrapped? Tuckner had the smart guages on his opti 175 a couple years ago and it would idle down and troll at 450 RPMs… the speed was still too fast for some applications but it did seem to perform the task intended.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.