Minn Kota Auto Pilot???

• Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

I have the MK Auto Pilot 55PD and this past weekend the autopilot would only work sometimes. Other times, the head of the motor would start turning in a complete circle all by itself. I checked my wires and found one loose connection but that did not fix the issue. I also checked the battery connections and all were solid.

Anyone else have similar issues? It would work here and there but not for more than about 5 minutes before going into a fit and start spinning.

Thanks,
    Dave

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Sometimes you can get them re-adjusted/calibrated and they’ll work fine again, sometimes you are better off getting a new compass. I had one that was adjusted and worked good for another couple years, but I ended up replacing the compass later on, I had a early model autopilot (first year they switch to an all black color scheme) and Minnkota had a newer version of the compass and I put that in it worked better than before, and no more issues, I don’t own that boat anymore, but I haven’t heard of any more problems (not saying there hasn’t been) Autopilots can be a bit fickle, and seem to want some “attention” every once in awhile, but IMHO it’s all worth it when they are working right

BTW I changed out the compass myself, not rocket science there, pretty much pop the cap off, unplug a couple wires, and plug in the new one. Otherwise any Minnkota service center should be able to take care of you

BTW I would say this is a common issue, wither that makes you feel better or not, I’m onto my second auto pilot (terrova) and I’ll buy another when the day comes.

toothycritters
    Participant

I too am on my second MinnKota with auto pilot (Terrova). the first one was horrible, had a mind of its own. the Terrova does it once in awhile (spins in circles). You can do the calibration yourself. I called Minn Kota on my first one and he e-mailed me the procedure, not hard at all but you do need a multi-meter. on the other hand a friend of mine had a 42pd with auto pilot and he never had trouble. he bought my 65pd and cusses me weekly on it. I never did offer to sell it to him…

greg716
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights

I also had this issue with an older 55PD with AutoPilot. I never did fix it, I ended up getting the CoPilot setup for it and for whatever reason that took care of the problem. I loved the CoPilot, but I got rid of the boat that it was on and haven’t upgraded my new motor yet.

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Guys:

I have had the issue with both my old 48 and new 80. Like one said, when they are working, nothing better. When they get their own mind made up, they are a PITA (pain in the @#$). I was told it was the foot pedal, so I bought a new one of those this year and it really has made no difference as to when it wants to or not. What is the cost of the compass if one wanted to do his own work???

Mark

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Don’t get me wrong my terrova isn’t perfect either. I was within the three year warranty at the time so I didn’t pay anything. actually I think I have the proceedure to calibrate it somewhere, I’ll try and look it up when I get home later. I dont think they are too cheap might not hurt to call customer service and ask I’ve always got great customer service.

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I have the procedure, I can send to you email, just PM me me your email adderess (pm’s are much better than just posting it), I can send it anytime I’m home and online.

mn-620t
    Participant
    Big Lake, MN

Hi I would appreciate the Minn-kota AP adjustment procedure. I do have a DMM and am electronic savvy. Thanks, Mike

mn-620t
    Participant
    Big Lake, MN

Hi Nick,
    Please send me a PM with the info. Thanks

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Not sure if nick is going to reply for you. It doesn’t appear he’s been active on here for quite some time.

The original post was 8 years ago.

Unfortunately I can’t help you either. I’d be willing to bet if you called MK they would get you what you need.

Eric Waldheim
    Participant

I would also like the procedure. Since this is my first post not sure if that is the reason I am unable to DM.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.