Handheld GPS problem

• Ange
    Participant
    NW Metro

I have an old Garmin GPS48 handheld (probably 10 years old). I wanted to give it to my son to use in his fishing boat, however, it won’t lock into any satelites. I tried it in a open field, no obstuctions. Everything else seems fine. I scroll through the pages and all the waypoints are there, the dates, coordinates everything.
    Is it just old technology? Any ideas??

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

How long did you try it for? Sometimes if a gps has been sitting for a long time with dead batteries or was last used a long distance away it takes extra time to find and lock onto the sat, my new lowrance took almost 15 minutes I know it took my older globalmap 100 atleast 10 minutes the first time too. As long as it’s still good I’m faiurly certain It’ll work.

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

Can you go through the Initialize process to help it find your location? I know my old Garmin had that feature. You use the cursor to help show the unit what area you are in. It helps it lock on and you don’t have to wait so long in the future.

ggoody
    Participant
    Mpls MN

I quess its possible but hard to believe an old Garmin wouldn’t still work.

Give Scotts and the others advice a shot.

Ange
    Participant
    NW Metro

Good call Nick/Scott. I punched in the location then let it sit. It took almost 45 minutes!! But it found `em and locked in.
    My kids happy!

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

ggoody
    Participant
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Great job guys!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.