Trolling Line

• johnksully
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

What’s the best line for trolling on a line counter reel? It will mostly be used for trolling crankbaits. Does anybody use backer line or do they spool the whole thing with one kind. I’m thinking braid is better than mono.

I’m kinda new to trolling and it’s time to learn.

Thanks guys.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run 12lb mono on some and have started switching to the stren super braid on others. I started experimenting with it last year. So far so good. Doesn’t bind up as much as power pro or fire line on a bait caster from what I’ve seen so far.

gary_wellman
    Participant
    South Metro

I use 20lb spiderwire stealth for my walleye crank trolling. You can purchase the spools in 150yard capacity. Each individual spool goes on a line counter, with mono backing. I use the mono backing for both filler and to keep the super-braid from slipping on the spool.

There are only about 2-3 out of about 15 differenct scenarios where I would consider using mono over braid for trolling cranks. Generally, this applies when I need a “sloppy” rod or a lot of “shock absoration” with the fish to prevent hooks from tearing on superlight biters, or if I need some “bouyancy” in the line to keep the crank from diving too deep.

charlie_heiman
    Participant
    Randolph, MN

I have my baitcaster setup with 20 lb stealth spiderwire with some mono as a backer line. I typically use a backer line, just because i have seen spools of just braided line that loosened and would have issues gripping to the spool.

I have used this setup a numerous times and has worked excellent.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

There are only about 2-3 out of about 15 differenct scenarios where I would consider using mono over braid for trolling cranks. Generally, this applies when I need a “sloppy” rod or a lot of “shock absoration” with the fish to prevent hooks from tearing on superlight biters, or if I need some “bouyancy” in the line to keep the crank from diving too deep.

I still like running mono on some rods for when I troll at 3 mph or more. I like the stretch for shock absorbtion. Slower trolling speeds and long lining when I have the rod in my hand, I’ll go braid every time. I like the additional feedback you get regarding how your bait is running with the braid.

birddog
    Participant
    Mn.

You’ll want to run backing line as it would be expensive to spool up an entire LC with super line. I prefer Power pro. Some are running fireline or spiderwire and some are running the new sufix braid as well as other makes. I ran fireline for years, lost alot of lures, switched to power pro 2 years ago, I like it, no problems. One thing to keep in mind, braids and super lines have no stretch or very little, where momo tends to have a fair amout of stretch. When switching over to a superline your drag needs to be set pretty loose so there’s some give, once the fish wears off it’s first few head shakes it’s time to tighten the drag a tad. When I first switched over to super lines it took a few trips to get the hang of the different drag setting compared to mono. Good luck!

walleyewacker18
    Participant
    Rice Lake, WI

I agree with some of the above posts. When you have 1-6 reels that are that big you want to have backing line. I like to use heavy mono say in the 12-20 lb. range which will spool your reel faster. Then either put on 10 lb. fireline or 10 lb. mono. Your going to want atleast 100 yards or your targeted line of the 10 pound though. This way a walleye is not going to get you to your blood knot. Also if your line gets banged up you can rip some off. Good luck

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Instead of using mono for backing I use a wrap of friction tape on the spool to stop the slippage issue, then spool up with 20# Power Pro.

Todd_NE
    Participant

John,

Trolling is a lot of fun.

The best thing to do is to find the newest version of Precision Trolling Book, it will be your bible for a few years.

There is no “best” line but I would recommend you stick with things that are considered baseline then branch out from there.

Most diving curves use Trilene XT in 10# test as the “gold standard” line. It’s tough and works great on linecounters to boot. Some lines have more or less thickness than Trilene XT 10# which can affect the diving curve.

I set my Daiwa 27 to Zero then put on about 2/3 of a spool of 15-20# line as backing. At the end of this I tie a loop knot. Then I tie another loop knot in the 10# Trilene big enough to go over the whole Trilene spool. These two knots won’t break and can be done in about 20 seconds total.

From there run 10# until you almost reach the edge of the spool inside the linecounter. The first time out or in your driveway run off about 200′ right away and reel it back in nice and steady under some pressure. You’ll spool will be filled about perfect.

I’ve used Cajun Red (Shakespeare), Bass Pro (supposedly Stren), Cabela’s (Supposedly Shakes), Trilene Big Game, Silver Thread, Stren, YoZuri, etc., over the years.

I can’t say any of them have really disappointed me, they all have their pluses. I just seem to always have 100 spools of line

My suggestion would be to get comfortable using Mono then start going with Fireline, again in 10# test to gain the dive advantage and “showability” at the tip of your rod. Superlines will help you watch your lure run correctly. The same loop knots will work but fill your spool about 85% roughly before putting on Fireline. I like to get on about 450′ on a Daiwa 27. That way if I lose line I have about two back up lengths.

My best suggestion is to buy matching rods. Buy 2 of everything when you buy and match up things for each side of the boat.

Good Luck

johnksully
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks guys. This is a lot of help!

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

I use 10 lb. Trilene XT and have had no issues. It makes using the dive charts in the Precision Trolling guide pretty easy. I do like the fireline for fall trolling with the rod in my hand. I can detect the second my lure picks up a weed. I use a mono backer and then fill the spool all the way up.

Willeye
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I can detect the second my lure picks up a weed. I use a mono backer and then fill the spool all the way up.

I like PowerPro for the same reason. You can easily tell if your lure is running appropriately.

Since the superbraids are no-stretch lines, make sure you use a forgiving rod. My favorite trolling rod is a $19 8’6″ medium action fiberglass Pinnacle. The Cabela’s glass rods are also good ones.

My $.02.

CR

MFO
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

I use Fireline, Stealth and Stren Super braid all with good results. For sure use a backer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.