Marcum LX-3tc or Vexilar FL-12?

• DkoyDan

I got this question that will be the deciding factor for me whether I purchase a vex. fl-12 or Marc. LX-3tc. Has any one used a Marcum LX-3tc alongside (in same house) 3-4 vexilars and recieved minimal IR? I was out this weekend with a couple buddies and I was using my fl-8se while the other flashers were an FL-12, a fl-8slt, and a Marcum vx-1. I orginally was gonna purchase a Marcum vx-1 and give my fl8se to my brother but I when the Marcum vx-1 was working alongside the Vexilars, the interference it got was horrible. For some odd reason the vexilars only recieved minimal interference and not enough to drive you up the wall with IR on, but on the Marcum vx-1, either IR channel he turned to wasn’t doing the trick. Every 5-10 seconds their would be that loop of signals going around the screen if you know what i mean. So I’m throwing the thought of getting a vx-1. Now for the lx-3tc, I’m hopping the IR will be a lot better and be able to block out the interference. Can anybody confirm that it is capable of doing this? I can’t bump up to lx-5 atm but can do lx3 or fl-12.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I would say with 12 levels of Interference Rejection on the LX-3 it would not be hard to get rid of the Vex interference! I fish with group of people that have a mix of flashers and everyone with the LX-3’s have not had a problem getting rid of interference!

The FL-12 only offers 10 levels of Interference Rejection.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

but on the Marcum vx-1, either IR channel he turned to wasn’t doing the trick. Every 5-10 seconds their would be that loop of signals going around the screen if you know what i mean.

If you were getting the loop you were close to tuning out the other units. Sounds like the gain may have been set a little to high. You should easily be able to tune out those other units, even with the VX-1.

The LX-3tc has more levels are IR and will easily tune those units out, even if you put them all down the same hole. Make sure you don’t have your gain turned to high. You want to use the minimal amount of gain to get the job done. You will be getting A LOT more flasher with the LX-3tc besides more levels of IR. You increase in power will make a big difference, as power is truely what makes the IR perform. In addition, you will get an adjustable zoom so you can zoom anywhere in the water column.

Wade at http://www.jollyann.com was running an IDA special on his LX-3tc and LX-5 units so make sure you check with him before you buy.

DkoyDan

Thx guys. That will do I believe. He did have his gain at around 4-5. Having the interference did put a toll on his fishing, but the vx1 unit is a pretty good unit nonetheless. Hard to beat price wise and zoom feature. I think I’m gonna go with the lx3tc. Man, I hate sitting at work and thinking of ice toys.

tnord
    Baxter, Minnesota

Fish in a part with 2 lx-3’s and and fl-8 slt. The Fl-8 has a tough time with our lx-3’s. The 2 lx-3’s can typically tune out the Vex, (sometimes big rocks on the bottom I believe make this tougher) but the Vex. will often move a long way off, or just give up. The adjustable zoom is not of much use for Lake Trout in deep water, but was huge when we moved to LOW for crappies and they were suspended at 2o feet in 45 feet of water.

Todd_NE

I know the times I’ve spent in fish houses with my LX3 TC have been great for me and bad for Vex guys. I feel so bad I have to turn my off for them… Well not too long, but sometimes

They are both good units, the Vex is hurtin’ with a Marcum around in deep water if they are close though.

BOTH will catch fish when working properly.

I was with Wade this wknd and yes he would probably offer you a promotion on Marcum!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I’ve been fishing with my FL-20 around Marcums for the past three weeks. No problems with interference at all. Deep or shallow.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

If I had a choice I’d go with the LX-3.

Does the FL-12 have the zoom feature?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.