Minnkota 3HP

• minnman

re: Minnkota 3HP: How do these compare in thrust to say a 55# unit? I have a small pontoon boat and want maximum power. Any comments or does anyone have a used 3HP for sale?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Pretty sure 55# is close to the same output on the old 3hp motors. Notice that Minnkota does not use that rating anymore.

I was over at the Motor Clinic in Bloomington yesterday. They had several used and referbished motors at the shop including a used 3hp. The prices look reasonable and all are under warranty. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.motorclinic.com/

-J.

StaleMackrel

Wow! I have never heard a man that said his electric trolling motor or his garage was too big. I recently up graded my mag 17 alumacraft from 50 lb. thrust to 80 lb. thrust. Make sure you shaft runs deep enough. I bought this unit back in the fall of 00. I only had so much money so I equiped it with a 48 inch shaft with 50 lb. thrust on a bow mounted unit. Big mistake. I should have know better as it was my 7th boat. Do not make the same mistake!

Xring

I am not sure what the thrust is, I use my MinnKota 3HP to push a Coleman Crawdad around on farm ponds or small “electric motor only” lakes.. 8 hours on a batter is no big deal. As an aside. Anyone that told you that 3HP stands for 3 Horse Power, was eigher mistakenly or intentionally wrong. The HP on the motor stands for “High Power”. A stupid marketing ploy by what is otherwise my favorite trolling motor maker.. Which is a big part of the reason they don’t make it anymore…

Denny O
    Central IOWA

WOW that is bringing back some memmories!

Xring, Welcome! You got a whole lot of reading to do to catch up on the latest!

This is an older post, but I just had the same question because I have the same 3HP motor. I contacted Minn Kota and received this:

Ryan O. (Minn Kota)
    Mar 16, 2023, 3:44 PM CDT

Hello,

It is a 34# thrust trolling motor.

Thank you for contacting Minn Kota,
    Ryan

Mar 16, 2023, 3:33 PM CDT
    It is a 3 HP Quiet Power that I purchased in 1990 or 1991.
    Thank you
    Frank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.