Trolling Speed for Crankbaits

• DonJ
    LeMars,IA

I just started pulling crankbaits (#5 Shad Raps) this year and am having a pretty good success rate.
    My question is, is what is a good speed to troll at?
    I can get my boat down to around 2.4 mph depending on wind and lake conditions and using my bow mount trolling motor, I can go slower from there.
    I have been varying my speed from 1.5 mph to around 2.8 mph, but this requires switching between the boat motor and bow mount.
    Also another question along this line, how do the trolling plates perform that mount directly to the outboard?
    I have a 115 hp Mercury and I would much prefer to troll with that than the bow mount.
    Thanks for any help,
    Don

jhalfen

Don: You can drop your speed well under two by using a drift sock/sea anchor.

I have a crestliner 1750 and a johnson 115 4/s. My slowest speed with the big motor running is a little over 2, depending on whether I’m going with or against the wind. If a hang a drift sock off the bow such that it opens about 1/2 way between the bow and the stern, I can cut my speed to 1.5-1.7 mph. If I need to go slower (like when I’m pulling spinners/crawler harnesses), I’ll use my 70 lb thrust bowmount.

The drift sock is a cheap alternative to buying a kicker that will work as well under many circumstances. Not as convenient, but much cheaper.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Another option is to run two smaller drift socks tied into together. This will help you with maintaining good boat control. Using one drift sock can make boat control difficult, because of the tendency to swing the bow left/right at times.

To rig up two drift socks, a basic formula is this:
    1) take a 3 foot section of rope with a loop on one end.
    2) tie the non-loop end to the drift sock.
    3) take a 4 foot section of rope and attach to the same drift sock.
    4) tie a 2nd drift sock to that other end.
    5) take another 3 foot section of rope with a loop and tie the non-loop end to the drift sock.

Now;
    you have a 3 ft section of rope, leading to a drift sock, with a 4 ft section of rope leading to another drift sock, with a 3 ft section of rope.

Throw the assembly over the bow and attach the two loop ends to your bow cleats on each side of the boat at the front.

The two drift socks will fall under the boat and pull tight. It gives you equal “drag” on each side of the hull, making boat control easy.

Also, this method keeps the socks under the boat and not drifting out in case of battling that big fish, where you got to cut the motor.

You may have to “fit” the assembly better for your specific rig, but this should give you the basic idea.

It works great!

Lastly, you don’t need 3 different sections of rope. It can be done on one length, but I broke it down to give a visual as to how to space it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

My question is, is what is a good speed to troll at?

The speed that triggers a bite! That may be so slow you are barely moving to as fast as 5-6 mph. But generally, the warmer the water the faster you can troll.

-J.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I’ll agree with just about everything people said here. I have my best luck between .8 and 1.8 mph most days.. but there are days where the 2-3 mark is what you need.. then the occasional days where you dont get hit under 4 mph.

There are options to slow down the boat.. most have been listed.. pull a drift sock, use the trolling motor or kicker, install a trolling plate, etc. Any of these can help achieve a slower speed.

The spring loaded trolling plates work pretty good.

rvrhntr
    Holmen WI / New Berlin WI / Pelican Lake WI

Speed is a great question every bait will catch fish at the right speed on the right day.
    You can vary your speed also by makeing turns as you troll (planner boards will help with that) I will pull a little faster and make turns to change speed. Every day is difernt sometimes it will change in the midle of the day. For me I run my shad raps from 1.3 to 3mph my best success has been at 2.4 on my gps.
    As far as slowing down goes I have 1 large drift sock I put in the center for 1 speed and 2 small ones that I put 1 on each side to give me a differnt speed.
    Best of luck and dont hesitate to make changes till you get somthing that works

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

If you are going to troll using sock try hooking them up like this.
    Take a length of rope and hook one two small socks to it about one third from either end. Take the rope and hook one end to one of the front cleats of the boat. Then feed the rope around the front of the boat and hook the other end of the rope to the other front cleat.
    When run this way the socks are directly under the boat and stay out of the way of everything. Just make sure the rope is short enough that the socks do not get to the prop.
    I think you have better boat control too because the socks cannot swing around in the current/wind.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Oh yeah, as far as speed, I run cranks anywhere from 0.6 to 3.8 MPH. The fish will tell you what they want.
    Generally speaking the colder the water the slower I run.
    In the summer I try to run faster than most others in high pressure areas and if I am catching more sheepsheads than walleyes I am going to slow.
    Last weekend I was running anywhere from 1.1 upstream to 3.4 downstream. The water temp was 55.
    My two cents.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Guys thanks for all the replies. Being new to trolling crankbaits, I was not aware of trolling at different speeds. My impression was that there was a magical speed to try and stay at.
    As far as the drift socks, I just bought one last week and will give it a try at the front of the boat. I attached it to the transom of the boat last weekend and was pretty surprised at how fast I came to a screeching halt. I had no idea those things work as well as they do.
    I also had pretty much zero boat control, so I will try hooking up to the front. It’s a 38 inch sock, so I might have to try something smaller also.
    As far as the trolling crankbaits goes, I think I have found a new tool to add to the arsenal. I imagined it to be a lot harder than it is and so I never considered giving it a try.
    Thanks again,
    Don

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That answer can vary dramatically based on whether or not you are trolling in current or not. Below 50 I have been pulling into the current at 1 MPH. That has triggered many bites as of late. Downstream i was 2.4 MPH. The force of the flow can make the lure react differently as well. The small lip of a #5 Shad Rap can be overwhemled by the water force, and can blow out with too much pressure. It may be a lost art, but read your rod. The right rod and line will tell you if that lure is “Singing” or not. You want that rod tip dancing at an even rapid beat. A small weed will throw off the harmonic balance, and you can read it on your rod tip. Typically, 1.5 to 3 MPH is good for the smaller cranks. Larger cranks can handle more water force, thus a higher speed.

mike carey

most of my action right now comes from about 0.6 to 0.9 mph

RAINyMAN
    Stillwater, Mn

I’m having trouble trying to understanding how to tie two drift socks together from an earlier post (sorry, Gary). Are the two socks equal distant underneath the boat ? Which part is the four foot section? Maybe someone can draw me a picture ? It does sound like a great setup. Thanks.

teamcrappie
    Palo,IA

Rainyman, I am not much of a walleye troller but fished a crappie classic in northern Miss. a couple of years ago. Down there trolling cranks for big slabs is norm so I rigged my 20′ bass boat that runs a 225Merc w/drift socks so I could stay around 2mph. I took a drift sock and tied to my front dock cleats, did this on each side and used a trolling bar attached to back seat post. Able to maintain different speeds and with a sock on each side your steering isn’t affected. There still may be a pic of us doing this on Crappie USA .com and search tourney results for 2004 or 05′,Classic,then find pictures. I will try to find and post back.

teamcrappie
    Palo,IA

Just checked CUSA results pics and none there but I think you get the idea. R.D. It was 2003 that we were down there. Man time flys.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.