Question on Mr. Heater flaming????

• Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

I have a Mr Heater sunflower type that is kicking out flames in about the top inch of the grille.
    They shoot up above the silver reflector. I have replaced the thermocouple and have changed the distance from the grille (bent it in or out). No changes. My other Mr Heater (heater/cooker) works great, but need a heater for another portable.

matt_grow
    Participant
    Albertville MN

I’m no expert on heaters but I do know you’re experiencing an oxygen problem. See what happens when cover one of the two wholes in the back of the heater…. If it helps just put a piece of duct tape over it. I had a heater/cooker that I had modified like that for years I wish I knew how to fix it correctly.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Sounds like over gassing and a possible regulator problem. How old is the heater? I wouldn’t use it until you get it fixed. Matt also touched on a good point, there should be a air/mix control on the tube that comes off the on/off knob. Try adjusting that as well.

Also are there any holes in your burner screen?

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Insects get in the air tubes and clog it up in the summer time, you need to clean the gas/air tube where the 2 holes are that let air in to mix with the gas.

Brian

amwatson
    Participant
    Holmen,WI

I promise to never flame on the heaters again

bigshoots30
    Participant
    Sartell, MN

I had the same problem once, the station that filled my propane tank put too much in and it was flaming up about 2-3 inches above the chrome gaurd. You may want to try another tank and see if that changes anything?? If not try what the fellas said above!

fish4blue
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

i ha dflammage problem when the tank hung in the shack. what happened there was the tank warmed faster than the rest of the unit. it flamed big, it was awesome. i shut it off let everything warm equally and rehung the heater, lit it, and worked fine thereafter.

Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks all for the advice. Tried Matt’s duct tape idea for a quick fix and it worked fine. Will adjust the air/gas mix knobby thing below the holes to get it working properly, but the tape worked for the outing. The heater is only 2 years old and I had tried it on every tank I own, still the same result, so it was an oxygen problem. Now, to start planning my couple of Mille Lacs runs for next week…..leave a few in there for me.

Dean Thorn

gary_wellman
    Participant
    South Metro

So, since we are on the subject of heaters, my old sunflower isn’t working right.

When you push in the thermocouple (I think that is what it is) to prime it or “start it”. When I let go, it shuts off immediately……….Even if I tape it in and let the heater run for 30 minutes, as soon as the button pops out, it shuts off……..

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Gary, Clean the tip of it with sandpaper or measure the length of it and replace it.

The T-couple is a safety switch that shuts the gas off in the event the heater were to blow out. Same concept for water heaters and home furnaces..

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Hey what does it mean when the heater makes a fog horn noise when its warming up???? It goes away after a bit. Really a loud noise though!! Any ideas??

LazyEyez
    Participant
    Arcadia, WI

Any idea’s on Calvins question. My Mr. Heater does it all the time for about 15 seconds and then stops. It gets you some looks on the ice like, get the he!! outta here, dare she blows etc.

Any ideas?

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Well if I had to take a guess, I would say its either air purging from the hose or its the metal on the burner when it gets heated up at a fast pace. Mine have all done the same at one point.

kenwarren
    Participant
    Olin, Iowa

Overgassing? Leave the beanie-weenies and beer at home maybe gas problem will go away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.