best flurocarbon line for finesse fishing

• rmartin
    Participant
    United States

Looking for recommendations for fluro line in the 6 lb range with the best traits, ie: low memory, castability and impact/abrasion resistance. Thanks

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Berkley Vanish for me

bronzbak
    Participant
    Long way from home

Seaguar invizx is probably the best for spinning reel applications. Sunline fc is also a good choice. Both seem to be far more user friendly than Vanish.

FryDog62
    Participant

I’m not sure there really is a low memory, castable fluorocarbon. Last year I experimented with 8 different brands and honestly I didn’t think any were very user friendly. I used on some quality spinning reels, baitcasters, used line conditioners, etc but it didn’t matter – most ended up in a rats nest sooner than later.

This year I even sprang for the ultra-expensive Tatsu to see if it lived up to its best in class hype. High hopes on my end but no – still stiff, lots of memory…

The best solution I have come up with is braid and tie on a 5 foot fluorocarbon leader. You get the invisibility of fluorocarbon for finesse applications and then limp, easier to handle braid as backing.

The only other line I will use that isn’t braid is Yozuri Hybrid. It’s a copolymer mix of mono and fluorocarbon. I like it for finesse, especially if you are setting the hook at a longer distance – it is low stretch and helps in hook sets. I also find it lower memory and castable, very few rats nests.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

Looking for recommendations for fluro line in the 6 lb range with the best traits, ie: low memory, castability and impact/abrasion resistance. Thanks

Had great luck this year with seaguar red label on spinning rods. I suggest 8lb though, it has the dia of 6lb mono. 6lb was too thin and I broke off too many times. 8lb is perfect. It was very very limp, hardly no memory at all, and super sensitive. And I am VERY anal about what lines I use, I have tried hundreds. Seaguar makes the good list, which is a very short list.

Make sure you buy it from a reputable store that stock fresh line, fluoro can go bad quick. Don’t buy from a small store that has had it for years, don’t buy from walmart, and always buy one with the newest packaging design.

Some bad ones you don’t want to touch with a 10 foot pole:

Vicious original

Vanish

Trilene 100%

Stren (the cheap one)

Spiderwire EZ fluoro

All of those are completely trash IMO

Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

x2 on spiderwire being garbage. Used vanish 10lb this season for all my leaders and spinner/bait rigs. Had no issues with it.

FryDog62
    Participant

I think most fluorocarbons as a leader can be pretty good…spooling them up as a main line however can be an entirely different story IMO. Have yet to find one that isn’t a high maintenance mess waiting to happen.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

No one mentioned Gamma…it is pricey but it has the low memory of Invzx and is stronger per diameter. I have been using Sufix 100% Castable with Real Magic applications for good results. I like the 7 lb for finesse apps.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What knot are you guys using for flouro? I have tried many flouros as well but anything under 8lb I just can’t get a good knot. Tried every knot you can with 4 different lines and about half would break upon tightening, yes there was plenty of spit all over knot and eyelet and slow pull. Gave up on flouro for this reason.

Mudshark
    Participant
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

What knot are you guys using for flouro? I have tried many flouros as well but anything under 8lb I just can’t get a good knot. Tried every knot you can with 4 different lines and about half would break upon tightening, yes there was plenty of spit all over knot and eyelet and slow pull. Gave up on flouro for this reason.

I’ve always used the Uni….

bassn7
    Participant
    Bruce,WI

I’ve been using the albright Knot this summer with good luck. I haven’t used under 8# line but it hasn’t been an issue. oh thats a line to line knot ,I use a trilene knot to the hook.

http://www.proknot.com/html/trilene_knot.html

Stan

BullsNeyes
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

X2 on the Gamma. I’ve also had good luck with Pline.

rmartin
    Participant
    United States

Bought some Vanish, seems to be OK. That is all Wally world had at the time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.