Yamaha 70 alarm

• Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Yamaha 70 hp 2 stroke motor and I was on vacation last week and about half way through the week I noticed that the telltale stream coming out of the motor seemed a little weaker than it had been, fished a couple more days, on a 2-3 minute wide open run to the boat ramp the buzzer started going off when I pulled up to the dock. I assume I need to replace my impeller. What do you guys think? Thermostat too? Anything else while I’m at it? I’ve read about a water pump kit, what exactly is a kit compared to just an impeller? Thanks for the help.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The kit generally includes the housing and seals as well as the impeller. Since the impeller runs against the metal liner inside the housing, if that is worn or scarred it wil wear out the impeller more rapidly.

You may have sucked something up into the intake. I would flush the motor and the indicator nozzle first.

Grouse.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Get the whole kit should fix you problem. Routine maintenance. Age of motor.

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

Thanks guys! What do you think about replacing the thermostat while I’m at it?

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

I would replace the thermostat and water pump.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Unless the part is very cheap, I would look up the test proceedure for the thermostat and test it. Usually this is easy to do, but I don’t know the proceedure for a Yamaha.

Grouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.