2 piece rod question

• c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I just bought a new St. Croix two piece rod. I went with a two piece because my rod holders in my boat are short and awkward and I have broken two rods in the last five years putting them in or taking them out.

My question is, does anyone make a product to hold the two pieces together (side by side) when they are broken down? I was thinking some plastic or rubber clips of some sort. That way, when I stow my rod, I could quickly clip it together, and when I take it back out just as quickly unclip it and get back to fishing.

Any ideas?

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Velcro straps

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Short foam twist ties work well. They’re cheap and you can find them at most any retail store like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc.

BBKK
    IA

Clothes pins. Wont hold them together very tightly, but will keep the pieces together while in the rod locker.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Quote:

I just bought a new St. Croix two piece rod. I went with a two piece because my rod holders in my boat are short and awkward and I have broken two rods in the last five years putting them in or taking them out.

On canoe trips I just use a rubber band around the biggest guide – works well for me.

My question is, does anyone make a product to hold the two pieces together (side by side) when they are broken down? I was thinking some plastic or rubber clips of some sort. That way, when I stow my rod, I could quickly clip it together, and when I take it back out just as quickly unclip it and get back to fishing.

Any ideas?

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I was envisioning a small plastic clip that is basically like two circles connected, each open on opposite sides that the rod pieces would snap into. They would be small enough to stay on the larger rod piece at all times and not get in the way. That way you don’t have to worry about keeping track of ties, straps, rubber bands, etc.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

{clip}

Any ideas?

Yes, Just saw them in the 2013 Fishing Classic Sale from Bass Pro

see photo

I was thinking of using them to pair other long rods.

dave53
    Altoona, WI

Jerry Tipping, a guide on Castle Rock and Petenwell, has a cover that slips over the rod like a standard rod sleeve, but also has a second piece that fits over the butt and tip that is attached with elastic. The pieces stay together and the whole rod is protected from scratches. I picked up a couple last year and really like them. Will probably get a few more this year.

Here is a picture from his site:

http://www.anglerspride.com/pages/fishing-tackle-products-amp-specialties.php

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fold them down so fishing line holds top together then velcro on bottom.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

My dad used to have a plastic snap-on device with an opening on one end for the lower rod section and a smaller opening on the other end for the tip. Two of those clips held the rod together (but the clips were easy to lose). Picture a 3/8″x3/4″x1 1/2″ piece of semi-rigid plastic with openings that looks like a c at each end. You could make your own and vary the length to hold the rod pieces apart so the guides didn’t vibrate against the other half of the rod blank.

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

That’s pretty much what I was thinking Iowegian. I am a native Iowan living in Wisconsin also. Must be great minds from Iowa thinking alike.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

Velcro straps

x2 cheap and very effective.

jwellsy

With the two halves next to each other pull a section of line out from between adjacent eyes or even right out of the reel and wrap that around both pieces a couple of times and hook it onto an eyelet. It holds the rod together and will keeps several rods from getting tangled together. It’s not a long term storage solution. But, it works good, there’s nothing to loose and it’s free.

cntrygrlshari13

I was aggravated one day with this same issue and all i had were cheap dollar store hair bands..now i use them all the time. cant beat it. a hundred of them for a buck! lol

MnPat1

I was aggravated one day with this same issue and all i had were cheap dollar store hair bands..now i use them all the time. cant beat it. a hundred of them for a buck! lol

+1
    I use my wife’s they are thicker black hair bands. I usually find them laying all over the house so I dont even have to go to the store.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

these are what I use in my two piece trolling rods, think I got them at target.

Attachments:
    1. vlcro-tie_1.jpg

Timmy

X100 on the hair bands. Mine were even cheaper, as I lucked out and “found” a new pack of them on my bathroom counter. If the FW asks,…..”no honey, I haven’t seen them?”

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.