Advice on putting floor on my flat bottom?

• dakota_92
    Participant

I recently bought this 14′ alumicraft Jon boat and I’m wanting to put a wood floor with carpet or tuff stuff or something to that effect. I mostly go out at night and run my lines so speed/weight isn’t really an issue. But I do want something that wont be horribly hot in the day. Also the upward curve in the front kinda stumps me on a way to keep the floor relatively flat. It’s my first time trying to put a floor in a boat so any advice or pictures you have to help me decide and learn how to do it would be great! Thanks. -Dakota

kris_brantner
    Participant
    My river

Hydro turf is good stuff. Spendy but good stuff. Easier to clean than carpet

jake47
    Participant
    WI

Welcome to IDO Dakota!

I am working on some last minute homework right now, but if I remember I will let you know how I did my boat 12 years ago and it is still going strong!

stevenoak
    Participant

Blue board between ribs, aluminum glued and rivited. Then one coat of quality enamel, sprinkle fine sand then another coat of paint. I use automotive windshield sealant to glue down aluminum. Once it dries boat will feel like a plate boat, but flex enough to not crack.

swollen-goat
    Participant
    Nicolet County

I was able to salvage the bottom of an old duck boat for an aluminum floor in my tracker. I added foam in between the ribs for flotation and used a bead of silicon caulk between the ribs and the floor to keep rattling to a minimum. I also found a rubber truck bed liner that cut to fit the front 2/3 of the floor. The back is bare aluminum, so that area might get hot in the summer, but I haven’t had much trouble with it. It was a super cheap fix for a rotten floor and it’e really easy to hose down. My boat has gone from a plain Bass Tracker to a CatTracker custom limited edition.

dakota_92
    Participant

Thanks guys!! How about a way to approach flooring on the front end with that slope?

sandylee
    Participant

I am just about done rigging a 1648 Jon Boat. For a floor I used 1 1/2″ XPS rigid foam between the ribs to level things out and to create even bearing for 1/4″ plywood to keep the weight down . Thats all you need for thickness with the rigid foam between ribs. Then I used Neo Mats from Styx River in a walleye fishoulage pattern that is 1/2″ thick that quiets the boat alot and is comfy to stand on and looks cool for a jon boat. For the front slope the 1/4″ plywood conforms alright and I will put a net mesh across that area for storage. I really wanted to keep the boat light.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.