Jig Storage

• gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Getting the open water gear organized for spring. Thought I would try and better organize my growing collection of jigs. Harder than it sounds! For years now, I have tried to find a storage box that will allow organizing jigs by size and color. My Plano3620’s are close, but like all the other Plano’s, don’t have enough dividers. Has anyone found one that works, with enough dividers? You’d think a Plano 3600 size with maybe 32 chambers would have been created already. One that would allow 8-10 colors in 4 different sizes would be perfect! Anyone seen it?

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I like the northland boxes. Order online I think around 9.50 bucks but they last. 7×11 size

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I go to home depot and buy the plano boxes there. Little deeper than the ones for fishing but less $. Heard of a guy using an electrical workers box for all their connectors that they said worked well, never looked into it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Curious as to how many jigs are you looking to organize? I have my most common jigs sorted in a few plano boxes. Then I keep my back stock in zip lock bags. With a sharpie, I mark the bag in huge numbers for size.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Over 150. Sizes from 1/16th panfish jigs to 5/8th Rainy River Shiner Anchors. Long shank, short shank, short shank w/ stingers, jigs w/ propellers, stand ups, floaters, glows, metallics…

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Plano 3700s for me…can get 150 in one easy…

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Plano 3700s for me…can get 150 in one easy…

X2 here. Been storing & transporting jigs in the boat this way for years.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Do you buy twice as many boxes as you need in order to get the amt. of dividers you need? I don’t understand why Plano doesn’t give a person the number of dividers the box can use, or at least sell them seperately. Profit….I’m sure.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I have the opposite problem when buying plano boxes and usually end up with at least twice as many dividers as needed.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I have the opposite problem when buying plano boxes and usually end up with at least twice as many dividers as needed.

X2
    I make a lot of different types of jigs for specific applications ( a lot of larger plastics). Because of that, I have a lot of jigs with 3/0 to 5/0 EWG’s. Nearly half of the dividers I get are tossed out.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

x3 I have a divider stash somewhere myself!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I use a Plano box and then add pipe insulation cut to size. Works good. Keeps the jigs from tangleing and jig paint from chipping. Makes it easy to grab the size/color you want. (This was a tip from the FLW mag a few years back.)

-J.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Saw the Fleet Farm labeled 3700 boxes yesterday on sale 5 pk/$10 Shop the Mans Mall.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Jon, that’s an awesome idea! Anyway to keep my tackle a little more organized, I am down!

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Great idea with the pipe insulation. What I’ve done in one of my jig boxes is to use the small zip-lock pill pouches available at Walmart. I stuff 7 to 10 like jigs into each, which keeps them from chipping, and also makes it easy to grab a few pouches when I jump into someone elses boat.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

If your storing B’Fish’N Tackle jigs, you won’t need to worry about your jigs chipping.

I pile each and every compartment with jigs. No insulation & no chipping. Been doing this for years with no problems.

I’m not against Jon’s idea, but why worry about fixing a problem that doesn’t exist.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I use a Plano box and then add pipe insulation cut to size. Works good. Keeps the jigs from tangleing and jig paint from chipping. Makes it easy to grab the size/color you want. (This was a tip from the FLW mag a few years back.)

-J.

Fantastic idea Jon. Just spent the day washing all my jigs and reorganizing the box.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

With a bill in the House proposing the banning of lead jigs, I may have to find a more secretive spot on board to store them.

I will also have to clear out some space in one of the safes at home for new large tungsten jigs that will be $7 a pop.

Tlazer

The fish ore company.com has some good boxes for all different jig, spoons and hard baits. Not cheap though. I have ordered a bait box also from Stone Tackle. I like to have the jigs and spoons displayed instead of trying to dig through them when jumbled together. The pipe insulation was also a great idea especially if you already have the Plano boxes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.