Boat trim refinishing

• minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

A couple weeks ago, we went to a benefit for a friend that is recovering from cancer. I ended up buying an older Crestliner that had been donated to the cause. It has some wooden trim inside and on the bow that needs to be refinished. What oil or sealer would anyone recommend? By the way, our friend has been diagnosed as cancer free.

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

for your friend!!!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Good news !!! I would point you to Sherwin Williams… they sure helped me out with my paint/finishing questions I was directed by many here at IDO to go there with my issues, very satisfied

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Thanks guys. The good part of this is that Steve is cancer free and one of ours sons is getting a great starter boat for his wife and kids for cheap. They are pretty excited about it and think that the old guy is cool for looking out for them.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Spar varnish

rvvrrat
    Participant
    The Sand Prairie

I still own one of those older Crestliners with wood trim The wood is teak and will essentially never rot.

The proper treatment is to use a teak cleaner, then teak oil. When you are done the wood should have returned to a deep brown color from its current gray and be relatively water repellent. Do not varnish this wood.

The unfortunate side of this story is that it must be oiled almost yearly to maintain its color. I made a mistake one year and used too much oil on a couple of pieces and it stained the adjoining vinyl. So just make sure you clean up any excess immediately. The best way to do the job is to remove it from the boat, do the cleaning and oiling, and reattach. I have actually never done this but plan to next winter.

BTW.. Seabrite (or something like that) oil and cleaner are available at Fleet Farm and it not too expensive.

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Thanks. I thought that it was teak, but wasn’t sure if it was teak oil to use to bring it back. It won’t take long to remove everything with a cordless drill, so we plan on taking everything off, soaking it, let it dry and then reinstall. I’ll let you know if it works so you’ll know what to expect when you do yours.

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i had a searay with teak trim and swim platform. it looked like i needed new wood when i got the boat. the feller i bought it from told me to buy one of the teak refinish kits and when done it will look like new. it is a 3 part process. i think the first step is a mild acid, the second step is a detergent, and the third is the oil. i also pressure washed the wood before i started the 3 part process. you can’t hurt teak, it is very, very hard. i think that i used that seabrite product also. it is a easy job and it did look like new when i was done

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

To give it a fresh looking interior finish on the teak wood.
    I’m thinking a touch of light sand paper and Danish Oil for color, and/or Toung Oil finish in several thin coats. This is my OP.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

My bad. I wasn’t aware it was teak. Don’t use spar varnish. Do what these guys said.

stuwest
    Participant
    Elmwood, WI

X3 on the teak & SeaBrite.
    on the mfgs who won’t use teak anymore…

erick
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Bring it on over Tom I will get ya taken care of.

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Umm, Thanks for the offer E and no disrespect, but wouldn’t that be a lot like putting BK in charge of the tractor at Evert’s? Just sayin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey now! They got it running again!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.