Spooling line on Line Counter Reels

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Okay guys, Last year James made a post about spooling line counter reels. I’ve searched but I can not find it. I recently bought a Diawa Sealine 27. I’m going to use it to pull cranks for the most part, for walleyes mainly.

What line do you all recommend? Anything I need to know for rigging this up right the first time? This is my first time trying line counter reels. Thanks in advance!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Hi Wade,all ready to pull cranks? Here ia a few things to do to get started.
    By the “Trollers Bible” so you can get a idea on where your cranks are at.
    If your going to spool 2 reels use same type and diameter of line on each.That way you will same/same readings.
    Try to keep spools full as this will give you more accurate readings.
    Wade most people use 10# mono of your choice,XT is good.Also 10# mono are what your dive depths are figured at but there are conversions charts to figure other lines.Also you could go with a heavier line with 10# diameter,like a 12# Sensation.Also 10/4 Fireline is a great trolling line.You will get your crankbaits deeper with fireline,just remember to use a mono backing wirh it.
    Best of luck with your trolling this year,I’m sure you will be teaching all of us a thing or 2 before the year is over
    Ryan Hale

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have my spooled up with 8/12 Fusion superline.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Spool on some mono backing first of a higher test than your main line. Then crank on a 150 yard spool of Fireline in whatever test you use.

You’ll need to leave room for the Fireline.

I use a very small barrel swivel to attach the two lines.

The key is to put exactly the same amount of backing on so both of the reels are calibrated the same.

The key to line counters is that they must have the same amount of line so they read the same.

When finished tie the line to a fixed object and walk back 100 feet to see if they read the same or if it is even 100 feet. If they are off, mark them somehow you know which one is less accurate and by how much.

After some useage, respool the fireline when there is a differnece in the amount on the spool so you’ll have equal readings.

If you have more than two linecounters pair them up according to similar counter readings.

The biggest advatantage of line counters is being able to replicate the previous presentation.

The trollers bible is just a start and you need to adgust from there to get your lires to run where you want or think they are.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Wade,

I like to run full spools on all my Sealine 27 reels as Ryan and Kevin mentioned. I like to run about 650 feet of 10lb mono for backer and then another 400 feet of fireline or whatever line you decide to run to your cranks. 400 feet gives me the opportunity to run the lure back at least 175 feet if need be and another 150-200 feet out on the board with some left over on the spool…Seems excessive out to the board, but there are times where this works very well to get that board 150-200 feet away!

Good luck!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.