Sending a reel in for repair?

• walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I’ve got a Shimano Calcutta 151 left handed reel and I think the bearings are worn out in it. I’ve cleaned it several times and the thing still can’t cast worth a darn. It’s about 1/4 of the distance it used to be able to cast. I was using it to cast large musky bucktails and cranks, think that may have done her in?

I don’t really know of anywhere around Ames, IA to get a reel repair or rebuilt. My first guess would be to send it into shimano and have them rebuild it? How does that work, the just fix what needs fixing and send me a bill?

shaley
    Participant
    Milford IA

Glens rod and reel in Des Moines.

druvyr
    Participant
    central Iowa Lake City Mn

Hanks in Waterloo

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

There is a place in Waukon IA that the locals send all their reels to… I have send all my reels to her every other year..

I’ll look for her card

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Kays Rod & Reel Repair
    1511 Scenic Valley Road
    Waukon, IA 52172-7791
    (563) 535-7571

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Just for kicks, I’ll ask the question. You mentioned that you have cleaned the bearings well. What did you lube them with? Some people put grease on the bearings. Well that will gum them up. Put a high quality bearing oil on. I personally use Yellow Rocket Fuel. But you can use Hot Sauce or even the Abu Garcia reel oil.

walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Fishinfreaks, I’ve tried a couple of lubes, no grease, and nothing has changed this reel. It’s not just a bit worse than new, it’s very bad. I can’t cast a normal bass jig more than 12 ft without throwing my arm out… Then when reeling in it feels sloppy and is noisy.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I’ll check into a couple of them!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.