Fisher Boats?

• DerekD
    Eastern Nebraska

Looking at a 97 Fisher Hawk 181 DC boat. I know I have heard/read were Fisher boats had a problem with welds breaking. Was this on certain years/models or all their boats?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I had a 2000 fisher and had a weld go on it after 6 years. Made it leak like a sieve and was not cheap to fix. Don’t remember exactly what the model was, but it was a deep V. Besides the busted weld, most everything else on the boat busted at some point. The live well had about a 2 inch gap all the way around it so water would slosh over like crazy and you had to run the bilge almost all the time. Most of the handles on the lockers broke. I wouldn’t take a fisher boat if somebody offered to give it to me for free. That’s just me though based on my past experience.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I had a 2000 fisher and had a weld go on it after 6 years. Made it leak like a sieve and was not cheap to fix. Don’t remember exactly what the model was, but it was a deep V. Besides the busted weld, most everything else on the boat busted at some point. The live well had about a 2 inch gap all the way around it so water would slosh over like crazy and you had to run the bilge almost all the time. Most of the handles on the lockers broke. I wouldn’t take a fisher boat if somebody offered to give it to me for free. That’s just me though based on my past experience.

Interesting, I had a mid to early 80’s 16 foot SV3 that had the welded hull and other than a battery hold down breaking it was a good boat, if fact I sold it to buy the boat I have now and last I heard it’s still being used.

Sounds like quaility went down hill.

Al

mojogunter

I know nothing about Fisher boats, but it could be a difference of one Fisher boat never seeing big water and big waves taking a beating vs. another boat continually taking a beating. I do know that a lot of the lower grade boats will do just fine if they are always on small lakes or rivers, but when pushed hard in nasty conditions they may not hold up. In most cases you get what you pay for.

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting, I had a mid to early 80’s 16 foot SV3 that had the welded hull and other than a battery hold down breaking it was a good boat, if fact I sold it to buy the boat I have now and last I heard it’s still being used.

Al

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I know nothing about Fisher boats, but it could be a difference of one Fisher boat never seeing big water and big waves taking a beating vs. another boat continually taking a beating. I do know that a lot of the lower grade boats will do just fine if they are always on small lakes or rivers, but when pushed hard in nasty conditions they may not hold up. In most cases you get what you pay for.

Quote:

Quote:

Al

I fished tournies in the 80’s and that boat seen leech, cass, milacs and others on many days a smaller boat shouldn’t have been on the water, and while not foolish, I sure didn’t baby that boat….good point though.

Al

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I think the Fisher company came from the old Astro boat company which did mostly bass boats with a few fish and ski models. Thats wherethe Fisher Walleye boats came from I think.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I think the Fisher company came from the old Astro boat company which did mostly bass boats with a few fish and ski models. Thats wherethe Fisher Walleye boats came from I think.

Could be, when I bought my SV-3 rumor had it that it was two? guys that left Crestliner to build their own boats, but it’s been many years and I may have that wrong.

I haven’t talked to anybody lately who has one. (last 20 years or so) so who knows…:)

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

I thought Fisher were built by Tracker.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Could be, the bottom of their website says Copyright Tracker marine group.

Not the same company that owned them back in the 80’s.

Al

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

From a goggle search…………

The Astro Boat Company manufactured Astro boats between 1989 and 2002. They were purchased in 2002 by PROCRAFT Boats. PROCRAFT manufactures bass boats and fish-n-ski boats. PROCRAFT’s corporate headquarters is in Springfield, Missouri.

Read more: Who makes Astro boats? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2043004#ixzz1OhV6cgdS

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Tracker bought them back around the late 90s I believe. A lot of the Fisher boats have pretty thin aluminum on the hull. I would very thoroughly check out any Fisher you intend to buy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.