Trailer Lights not working

• sbr_it
    Participant

My old lights weren’t working anymore, so this year I hooked up a new LED kit, but can’t get them to work on my truck. After failing the first time, I double checked everything, corrected my mistakes and still nothing. I thought it still may be my wiring, but my dad was over this weekend and I tried them out on his truck and everything worked fine. Any ideas on what it could be with my truck as I’m thinking that has to be the source of the issue now? Thanks.

scalesorskin
    Participant
    south eatern ,Minnesota

if the truck if somewhat new 00 or newer there may be a trailer fuse , in my 05 ford i have a trailer tow fuse and i aslo have a seperate fuse for the left side brake light and left side blinker, check the owners manual it should tell you exzactly what fuse to check, best of luck this can be fruste rating

eyecatchum
    Participant
    Milwaukee WI

Check your fuses for your truck. Same thing happened to me last year. I ended up redoing all the wiring for my trailer, only to find out that it was just a fuse. Mine was in the big fuse box under the hood. Not in the fuse box by your gas and brake pedals. Good luck, i hate electricity!!!

joshbjork
    Participant
    Center of Iowa

Don’t worry, it gets more fun as you go along. The first hour or so might be frustrating.

jerrj01
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

As everyone has stated so far, probably a trailer fuse. Depending on the make/model it may be under the hood or under the dash. There was most likely a reason the fuse blew such as a short in the trailer. If you replace the fuse without checking for shorts, you may be replacing a few fuses.

johnb
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Same thing here. Just got in from the garage working on my trailer. Replaced the light, still didn’t work. Ended up being the fuse in my truck. (Silverado, under the hood in the big fuse box)

sandmannd
    Participant

Good chance it’s a fuse. Also check and make sure your ball is good and clean so the trailer has a ground on your truck. This has had me stumped in the past.

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

I highly recommend that everyone that owns a trailer owns one of these plugs: Trailer Light Tester
    They are available at most auto stores
    You will know if your truck is the problem immediately. If you know the truck plug is good, you start working on the trailer ground then you start on lights and wiring.

Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.