Trolling motors 12V vs 24 V ?

• buschman
    Pool 2

I have a 55 lb 24V bow mount that I am going to replace soon here. Right now I can get a pretty good deal on a 55 12V??? I am all set for the 24V with what I have. If I were to run my two batteries Parallel vs in Series…. Do I loose any power or run time going into a 12V system.
    I am just curious what the pro/cons are here. It is about half the price to go with the 12V set but do not want to loose any power or battery life if there is a big difference between the two. Any advise?

Thanks !!

denver
    farmington,mn

How big is your boat? I would not take the 12 over a 24 it is a step down. boat control is a major factor to catching fish in my opinion. If it gets windy the battery on the 12 volt will die fast. I have had my batteries for my 24 volt last for 2 days without charge. good luck with your choice.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Joe

I know you fish pool 2 quite a bit… you’ll be quite disappointed with the move to the 12 V. motor in my opinion.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I had a PD 12v 55# on one of my boats and fished the wind and currents of the river. After two years of that, moved up to the 24v 70# and OMG what a huge difference! Go 24v even if it’s at 55#….

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

You will never regret getting something too big…But you will however be really pissed that you didnt spend that little extra money when it comes down to it

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’m kinda shooting from the hip here…but you shouldn’t notice any decrease in power or run-time in going from a 24V 55# motor to a 12V 55# motor in parallel. The newer motors are more efficient, so if anything, I would expect you to notice an increase in run-time.

But as others have mentioned, if you can get into a 24V 70# or 80# motor you would not regret it. See you out there soon Joe.

J

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Joe,

You know my rig. I have a new 12V 50# Minnkota on it, and it really isn’t very usefull on Pool 2. It pulls me around just fine on the lakes but on the river I have to have it “floored” most of the time and that kills the batteries. I don’t know if you can get a motor that’s too big, but you sure can get one that’s too small!

See you on the river.

Steve

wally1992
    Evansville MN

Power is IxE, wich is amps (current) x volts.

12×15 = 180
    24×15 = 360
    It is way easier to change the equation on the volts side than current

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

if you have too much trolling motor you can turn the speed down.. if you don’t have enough, you can’t turn the speed up any more then what you have..

always full power or over power your boat.. you can always make it go slower.

sandmannd

There’s a reason a 12v is half the price. You won’t be happy and it won’t compare to a 24v. Save up and get a 24v terrova, you’d be very happy with that.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have a 12v terrova on my 17′ TS, it is not the end of the world on the river meaning I get a lot of use out of it. I won’t argue that a 24v is better, but the 12v gets by too. By the time I notice power lose (one fresh batt) I’m close to packing it in for the day, I don’t run it all the time, more big motor to the spot and then troller around to refine. I also tend to drift patterns more on the river than troll.

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks Guys!!! thats the little push I needed. I even have the go ahead from the wife on this one so we are getting that 70 24V ordered today!
    I will be stuck with this one for a few years now so hate to regret anything. Thanks again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.