Ensign lake

• Jeff mattingly
    Participant
    Lonsdale, Mn

Does anyone have any fishing tips or locations to look for on Ensign lake. I will be doing a base camp on the lake for 8 days starting sept.5th. It’s more of a bear hunt but would also like a couple meals of fish. I have never been on this lake and I don’t know what it offers. Guessing northern, walleye, and smallmouth will be my target. Looking at satelite and lake maps there may be a sunken island east of the small island on the se side of the lake, and some main lake points. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Don Miller
    Participant
    Onamia

My wife and I took a September base camp trip there 20-25 years ago. We did very well on the walleyes using live bait, probably the best fishing of a dozen of September trips we took. We fished near the two big islands on the NW part of the lake on our best day. We had rocks in a grapefruit bag to anchor. We caught fish until all our live bait was gone, minnows, leeches and crawlers. Just one short portage so carrying bait not a problem. We camped at the mouth (outlet?) of the creek on the south shore. Two evenings a canoe would come by our camp and go into the small bay at the mouth of the creek. They told us the top water smallmouth action was good around dusk there. We saw moose, otters and a snake out in the big part of the lake. Lot’s of pass through traffic, the other camp sites would empty each morning and fill late afternoon. I do recommend hiring a tow to get across Moose and Newfound Lake. Very busy with motorized traffic.

Jeff mattingly
    Participant
    Lonsdale, Mn

Thanks that’s great info. Do you remember what depths you were getting the walleyes in? I’m guessing you were live bait and jigs. I do have a tow planned across moose. We have lots of gear for bear hunting. We picked ensign on the fact that it has lots of traffic. Hopefully more bears..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.