Elite 9 TI w/ Totalscan vs. Hook 2 9 Tripleshot

• mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

So does anyone have any thoughts??? I have been looking at the Elite for over a year, but my lowrance buddy is wondering why I don’t get the hook and save the money… Again experience and thoughts??? Thank you in advance!!!

Mark

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

TOUCH SCREEN! Can you imagine going back to a phone with buttons on it?

There’s nothing wrong with the new Hook2 units, they’re a great entry level sonar that’s plug and play. Just turn it on and go fish.

The Elite TI units are a BIG step up though –

– Touch screen
    – More, and better, transducer options. TotalScan, HDI/LSS2, etc…
    – ability to network via NMEA2000 to share waypoints and trails, as well as connect to a Motorguide Xi5.
    – Fully customizable screen layouts – you decide what you want on your screen – chart, sonar, StructureScan, etc…, whatever combination you want, AND you get to design how the data is overlayed – speed, depth, water temp, time, etc…
    – Far greater control over your sonar settings – sensitivity, scroll speeds, colorline, etc… Nice options to have for sure.
    – FISH REVEAL, you get the benefit of the new software release for Fish Reveal

If it’s in your budget, you definitely won’t regret stepping up the Elite TI unit.

Waxy

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

waxy:

Thanks for the perspective… I agree that touchscreen would be nice and the ability to build/add the other boat electronics as well after this purchase. I have heard that the transducer is the long one and I guess I am not really afraid of that… moreso the pricing. What I’m really looking for in this unit besides the upgrade is side-imaging. IMHO that’s the gamechanger from most of the older units… being able to see outside the boat’s footprint. I’ll get back to this later as I have some things to attend to, but my big question right now is the transducer… is the choice an add to the price and if so, by how much??? Thanks to all in advance of their advice!!!

Mark

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

– ability to network via NMEA2000 to share waypoints and trails, as well as connect to a Motorguide Xi5.
    Waxy

I would check into being able to network units together. It is my understanding it will network with motorguide but not with other units. If you want to network units you will have to go with the HDS line.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

waxy:

Thanks for the perspective… I agree that touchscreen would be nice and the ability to build/add the other boat electronics as well after this purchase. I have heard that the transducer is the long one and I guess I am not really afraid of that… moreso the pricing. What I’m really looking for in this unit besides the upgrade is side-imaging. IMHO that’s the gamechanger from most of the older units… being able to see outside the boat’s footprint. I’ll get back to this later as I have some things to attend to, but my big question right now is the transducer… is the choice an add to the price and if so, by how much??? Thanks to all in advance of their advice!!!

Mark

Yeah, side imaging is definitely a nice tool to have.

The Elite series offers advantages for SI. Better screen resolution, the ability to customize screen layouts, and the ability to touch the screen on any object you see on the SI (fish, rock, tree, weed edge, etc…) and instantly put a waypoint on it.

The Totalscan transducer will give you standard 2D as well as Down Imaging and Side Imaging. It works very well, but the downside is that it can be hard to maintain a bottom reading over about 35 mph unless you have it perfectly mounted, and that means a fair bit of drag.

The other option is to use a standard 2D transducer, either the HST-WSBL or an 83/200 HDI in combination with the LSS2 Structure Scan HD. It’ll be a few $$$$ more, but you get some redundancy, as well as better 2D, DI and SI in my opinion. The other bonus is that either 2D skimmer will hold bottom past 60mph and you can run the LSS2 up higher.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Waxy wrote:</div>
    Waxy

I would check into being able to network units together. It is my understanding it will network with motorguide but not with other units. If you want to network units you will have to go with the HDS line.

The Elite units can be networked using NMEA2000. As I said, that will allow sharing of waypoints and trails as long as all the units on the network are powered on at the time. The Motorguide Xi5 is also connected and controlled via NMEA2000.

You are correct that the Elite TI units are not capable of being networked via an ethernet connection like the HDS units. The Elite TI units are NOT capable of sharing maps or sonar data.

Travis

Waxy,
    Not to get off topic too far, but what all is needed/involved with the 2 transducer setup you were describing? I’ve noticed that I can get the transducer set just perfect to read bottom on a plane, and SI, but having/not having a passenger in the boat is enough to mess things up. I was honestly thinking of keeping a sand tube in the truck to put in the boat to balance it out.

For the actual topic above, I love the touch screen on mine, and can’t imagine going back. I have the elite 7 ti.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Waxy,
    Not to get off topic too far, but what all is needed/involved with the 2 transducer setup you were describing? I’ve noticed that I can get the transducer set just perfect to read bottom on a plane, and SI, but having/not having a passenger in the boat is enough to mess things up. I was honestly thinking of keeping a sand tube in the truck to put in the boat to balance it out.

It’s a pretty obscure setup, but it is out there. Lowrance part # 000-14076-001.

http://store.navico.com/Products/000-14076-001

It consists of the standard HST-WSBL skimmer transducer, the LSS 2 Structure Scan HD transducer, and the all important Y cable that’s required to connect them both to the single 9 pin sonar port on the Elite TI.

I think you can buy the Y cable separately, you should be able to because that’s a great option for people that already have a 2D transducer and want to add StructureScan.

http://store.navico.com/Products/000-11169-001

Waxy

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I just ordered the 9 ti with totalscan. Will mount to bow via Fishing Specialties mount.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Well Don Meier… we should know each other… That ugly mug with the bluegill has been to Butternut so many times to officiate basketball since the late .’90’s, even making it there to watch Butternut/Mercer baseball…

Where did ya order your ti from??? I see that Lowrance has a $100 gift/rebate going on now till the end of May I think it is…

Stay safe and have a great opener!!!

Mark

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Mark i ended up ordering from Amazon. Print out the rebate from Lowrance. Bought extra coverage through Amazon for 25$ for 4 years. Electronics always make me nervous if its going to last. Hodges Marine is a good place ,i have ordered from them before. I also looked at the Hook series and decided on the ti. Weather i use it to its full potential remains to be seen . Plus i wanted the touch screen. Will be on shore for opener lots of ice up here.Don

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Don:

Did ya buy the 4 years on top of the regular or in total??? Where is Hodges at??? My preference all along has been the ti to be able to add the trolling option down the road. As I may have mentioned before, I am really interested in the ti for the structure scan and I know it comes with the hook, but I think you are able to do more things with it once ya get the easy stuff down…

Mark

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Mark just received my Elite 9 Ti from Amazon and its going back. Box was ripped open ,transducer was scratched and nicked ! Im looking at Scheels or Hodges or Fleet Farm they are all the sameon price 999.00 with 100.00 rebate.Hodges is close to Tampa Bay Florida and i ordered an Elite 5 ice combo with downscan chirp from them . Which i swap in and out of my boat. Goodluck on your purchase. Don

Kyle Anderson

Fast forward 10 Months…I too am trying to decide on Hook2-9 Tripleshot VS Elite 9 TI w/Totalscan.

I have a Hook 5 that for me is hard to see, and seems pretty user NON-friendly. Thus the beginning of my search for a more Kyle-friendly replacement.

The biggest update to bring to the discussion is that I can get the Elite for $600, and a mfgr refurbished Hook2 9 for $650 from Lowrance outlet store (ends tomorrow) or Hook2 7 triple shot just about anywhere for $600.

Looking for any advice, but from the previous postings last summer, if I can get through the initial Ti setup, the Elite for less or equal price, should be a no brainer? Or not?

New guy to this forum, but have visited this awesome site several times since I discovered it last year.

Thanks IN advance for any thoughts in support of this retired, Green Bay fisherman wannabe.

Kyle Anderson

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Kyle, I am very happy with my Ti!!! I didn’t reread, but know that I struggled with xi-5 trolling motor, mostly with the footpedal… I plan on getting that issue covered this spring before the season kicks off hard!!!

I just updated my ti and did a bunch of work with my waypoint management and am kind of disappointed with the NEW Navionics…

In order to update now with the ability to get updates all year long requires paying for a 100% rebuy… So if you are going to use your $100 chip and want to update it after your purchase date, it WILL cost you another $100!!! Same for your phone app, I have he US and Canada mapping, to continue getting updates it will cost you another $25 each year…

I’ll keep an eye on this tonight, in case you respond, although it may be kind of hard once we get to 8 p.m. and the Badger/Gopher game!!!

Mark

Kyle Anderson

Way to go badgers!
    Thanks for the feedback on your Ti, Mark.

Probably unlikely, but are you (or others?) aware of
    anyone out there that may have any first hand knowledge to offer further on BOTH units? Still sitting here with the dilemma of which one. Found another Hook2 9 Tripleshot refurbished package for $619…same price as the 7″ Hook2.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Check the upcoming Bass Pro sale. They have a good deal on the 9TI

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

holmsvc:

I was unable to find the Elite 9Ti, but the price on the Elite9 2Ti at $819…

Kyle, can’t help regarding to your most recent request…

Mark

Gary Tess

Mark could you tell me where you found the Elite ti2 for $819? I am looking to get one this year.

Gary

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Travis wrote:</div>
    Waxy,

It’s a pretty obscure setup, but it is out there. Lowrance part # 000-14076-001.

It consists of the standard HST-WSBL skimmer transducer, the LSS 2 Structure Scan HD transducer, and the all important Y cable that’s required to connect them both to the single 9 pin sonar port on the Elite TI.

I think you can buy the Y cable separately, you should be able to because that’s a great option for people that already have a 2D transducer and want to add StructureScan.

Waxy

@waxy
    you seem like a knowledgeable person when it comes to these units. Do you know if Lowrance is making a Y cable that will allow me to add an additional 2d skimmer to my hook2 unit, alongside my current triple shot ducer? My hook2 and triple shot ducer have the new smaller push-in plugs and ports. I’ve searched and all I can come up with is the Y cable that you linked above.

Many thanks!

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Travis wrote:</div>
    Waxy,

Waxy

@Waxy you seem like a knowledgeable person when it comes to these units. Do you know if Lowrance is making a Y cable that will allow me to add an additional 2d skimmer to my hook2 unit, alongside my current triple shot ducer? My hook2 and triple shot ducer have the new smaller push-in plugs and ports. I’ve searched and all I can come up with is the Y cable that you linked above.

Many thanks!

There is no Y cable for the Hook2 units that I’m aware of, and I’d be surprised if there’s one in the works.

The Hook units use a different transducer system than the Elite and HDS units, they’re not interchangeable.

Waxy

tangler
    Inactive

There is no Y cable for the Hook2 units that I’m aware of, and I’d be surprised if there’s one in the works.

The Hook units use a different transducer system than the Elite and HDS units, they’re not interchangeable.

Waxy

Thanks Waxy. I’m aware of the different ducers. They do make a Y cable / conversion plug that would allow me to connect both an LSS-2 and HST-WSB transducer simultaneously to the Hook2 unit.

So my thought was a Y-cable that allowed the same thing, but instead of a plug for the LSS-2 it’d allow me to use the tripleshot ducer. Then I’d be able to switch between 2d when running around and TS when scanning.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Well, you learn something everyday. I’m really surprised, I had no idea that cable existed, that’s good to know.

It’s an added expense, but with all the people looking to switch to the new Active Imaging 2in1 and 3in1 transducers, you might find a really good deal on a used LSS2. I don’t think you’d ever regret going with a dedicated 2D skimmer and the upgrade to the LSS2.

Waxy

tangler
    Inactive

Well, you learn something everyday. I’m really surprised, I had no idea that cable existed, that’s good to know.

It’s an added expense, but with all the people looking to switch to the new Active Imaging 2in1 and 3in1 transducers, you might find a really good deal on a used LSS2. I don’t think you’d ever regret going with a dedicated 2D skimmer and the upgrade to the LSS2.

Waxy

It would cost me as much as the entire unit cost me to buy the two new ducers and the Y cable, so I won’t be going that route.

I just wish they’d make the Y cable for using the TS and HST-WSB at the same time. Or the TS and the Hook2 bullet ducer at the same time.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Waxy

It would cost me as much as the entire unit cost me to buy the two new ducers and the Y cable, so I won’t be going that route.

I just wish they’d make the Y cable for using the TS and HST-WSB at the same time. Or the TS and the Hook2 bullet ducer at the same time.

Fair enough lol. Like I said, I’m REALLY surprised that cable exists, for exactly the reason you stated. It doesn’t make a lot of sense from either the performance or value standpoint to go that route with a Hook2 unit. I’d bet Lowrance sells only a handful of those or so every year. There’s just much better options for the same money, which is why I suggested trying to find a used transducer setup for a really good deal.

But that’s also your problem when asking for that cable to add an upgraded 2D transducer in combination with your TripleShot. You’re asking for mid level performance and options from an entry level unit, and most Hook2 users are not likely to spend the added time or money for a transducer setup like that.

Not to be rude, but just to be plainly honest, if you’re looking for better sonar performance, you’d be better off spending your money on upgrading your sonar unit to an Elite or HDS. You’d get far more out of it.

Waxy

tangler
    Inactive

But that’s also your problem when asking for that cable to add an upgraded 2D transducer in combination with your TripleShot. You’re asking for mid level performance and options from an entry level unit, and most Hook2 users are not likely to spend the added time or money for a transducer setup like that.

Not to be rude, but just to be plainly honest, if you’re looking for better sonar performance, you’d be better off spending your money on upgrading your sonar unit to an Elite or HDS. You’d get far more out of it.

I don’t disagree with you really– however, Lowrance marketed the Hook2 tripleshot as an all-in-one solution for the novice who doesn’t need networking and some other bells and whistles like touch screen. This is me, to a “T.” The thing Lowrance failed to tell people like me was that this all-in-one transducer would perform so poorly at speeds above 10mph that we would be left looking for a jerry-rigged solution for the 2d portion. I don’t WANT to have a dedicated 2d transducer and don’t see that as an “upgrade” — I’m only looking at it as a workaround for a problem that really shouldn’t exist in the first place.

If they’d been up-front about the capabilities and limitations of the tripleshot transducer in the first place, I probably would’t be here asking these questions.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

I don’t disagree with you really– however, Lowrance marketed the Hook2 tripleshot as an all-in-one solution for the novice who doesn’t need networking and some other bells and whistles like touch screen. This is me, to a “T.” The thing Lowrance failed to tell people like me was that this all-in-one transducer would perform so poorly at speeds above 10mph that we would be left looking for a jerry-rigged solution for the 2d portion. I don’t WANT to have a dedicated 2d transducer and don’t see that as an “upgrade” — I’m only looking at it as a workaround for a problem that really shouldn’t exist in the first place.

If they’d been up-front about the capabilities and limitations of the tripleshot transducer in the first place, I probably would’t be here asking these questions.

That’s totally fair.

I don’t have any experience with the Tripleshot, but it SHOULD be able to read depth above 10mph. I’ll ask around a bit and see if anyone I know has any experience or suggestions for getting the most out of that combo.

How much experimenting have you done with the transducer mounting position? In my experience, most of the time when it comes to bad readings or losing depth at speed, the problem can be solved by fine tuning the transducer mounting. The TotalScan units were notorious for losing bottom reading at speed too. The solution for them was to mount them a little deeper, and tilt them so that the rear edge was slightly below the front edge. It was a compromise, because that’s less than ideal for SI and creates more drag, but it did make a big difference in holding bottom while on plane.

Waxy

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.