Electronic hearing protection earbuds – Anyone tried and how do they work?

• TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I’m looking at various options for electronic hearing protection in the earbud style, NOT the muffs. Looking at non-custom options, obviously, I know who the go-to is for the custom molded option, but not looking to spend $$$$.

Has anyone tried the options from Walkers, Caldwell, Decibullz, etc.? There’s a bunch of them.

I usually wear foam earplugs because shooting muffs are hot and hit the stock when I’m shooting. Now I’m scoring for the HS trap team and I thought the electronic buds would be a lot more comfortable IF they work.

Did anyone try any of the various non-custom options for earbuds? How did you like them? Noise reduction good?

Thanks.

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Grouse,

I use these from walkers hunting. https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-xv-3-0-headset/ they rest on your shoulder and the plugs have retractable cables. I wear them bird and deer hunting and trap shooting. You can use them to listen to your phone as well. Had them 3 seasons.

Mwal

realtreeap10
    Participant
    Over there

I have the same around the neck style at mwal mentioned but got annoyed after a while since whenever I would turn my neck they would move and pull to oneside. Currently running the Caldwell E-max shadows, been great so far regarding hearing protection. Basically a foam earplug with the blueteeth and sound amplification. Been using them hunting also since they are easy in/out I usually have enough time to put them in before pulling the trigger on a deer or elk.

Only complaint on the shadows is they are terrible for phone calls, no one can hear me talk when I try and use them for that.

Timmy
    Participant

What do you consider affordable? I bought the custom molded models from the vendor at the Alenandria HS trap shoot. They were not that expensive…. Under $100amd very comfortable. She makes them with Bluetooth speakers in them for extra $$. As a coach for the HS team, I am wearing them a lot. They seemed cheaper than the non-custom models I looked at.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Was. Was working with Radians, I learned how important it is to fill the canal. Just keep in mind that the ear canal should have contact all the way around – regardless of manufacturers. Make sure they fit

pandapanda
    Participant

I had those same style walkers 3 or 4 yrs ago for shooting sporting clays, I was very impressed with how they worked for the price, only downside was battery life wasn’t the greatest (I want to say 2hrs was about max, maybe less). I am sure that has improved by now.

pandapanda
    Participant

Timmy do you know who yours are from? Are they just molded plugs or do they pipe in sound?

Timmy
    Participant

Panda – I finally remembered to dig em out and take a pic. I do not recall if she offered the type that electronically shut down during loud noise, but allowed normal hearing of voices…….. but I know that she did have Bluetooth speaker models for listening to music and such when worn.

Attachments:
    1. A34D49A8-0931-4BAD-8098-270D5B9F211D-scaled.jpeg

2. E531F4F0-E0A1-40EF-9EAA-AB8FA0F29300.jpeg

pandapanda
    Participant

Thanks I’ll check them out

Alex Fox
    Participant

I use the walkers rechargeable. They get a little annoying in your ears all day but I’d rather be able to hear later in life. Rechargeable ones are key. The battery ones only last about a day, and you’re fumbling around putting batteries in. The rechargeable ones last all day and can be recharged in the box without plugging them into anything. They have different settings if you want to hear people talk, listen for wildlife, cut down the wind noise, etc.

I have tried the Decibulz. Very affordable, but if you don’t mold them right the first time, they aren’t moldable again, no matter what they say in there adds. I found they cut down on the noise of the report, but you weren’t able to hear anything else like advertised. I like the custom fit aspect.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.