Early Fall Brook Trout on Lake Nipigon

• doorman
    Participant

On Lake Nipigon it is always easy to get away from people but Fall is scary lonely there are only Moose and Bear tracks on the dirt roads to the landing.
    I was lucky enough to get out on the lake again in early fall and explore some new areas.
    We found Specs staging to spawn in front of a small creek. It reminded me of Pink Salmon in Alaska that will go to any fresh water coming into the ocean. This was just a spring running into the lake with a lot of gravel and small rock. I didn’t expect to find 8# Trout at the mouth of this little creek. What a cool day to experience with my wife.
    We figured this was a small population spawning here and we happened to be there at the perfect time so we handled the fish with extra care and released them all healthy.
    We ended up catching eleven Specs from 18 to 26 inches.
    Every time you spend time on the water you learn. Fish location what they are eating or were they are not LOL. We got to learn and catch fish of a lifetime on this trip.

Attachments:
    1. 20190828_175754.jpg

2. 20190828_173933.jpg

3. IMG_1912.jpg

4. IMG_1902.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

Absolutely gorgeous fish. Congrats and thanks for the report!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I love the colors of fall Brookies. Nice job on the find, the catching and the releases.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Thats a bucket list trip for me. Especially in the fall. Thanks for sharing. I used to go to Isabella/Ely area in September and October to catch brookies.

zooks
    Participant

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing!

moustachesteve
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Awesome fish. Absolute beauties!

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Awesome! I had a chance to fish the Nipigon River and saw a 23″ fish. I’ve heard of 25″ fish being caught. A 26″ fish is an absolute fish of a lifetime. Great dark colors as well.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Awesome looking fish! What were your best baits?

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

Great Report of an even more Greater Find!!! Been enamored with trout since my Uncle Bremel who guided on Gitch, would take me on his off days when we were in Corny stream trout fishing and brookies were one of the targets!!! The world record on Nipigon has always had me looking at that destination and I love the fact that Pasha has become a part of IDO as I am hoping to fulfill that trip!!! My largest brookie to date is 17″ and that is behemoth in our Midwest States, I am looking forward to upping that length limit. Once again great find!!!

Mark

doorman
    Participant

Jerk baits and flooks on jigs. Smelt imitators.

Attachments:
    1. 20190828_175618.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.