Eagle Claw Inline reel

• yellowriver
    Participant

Looking at getting a couple new Al Dentes rods for panfish. Wanting to try a inline reel that is around the 20-40 dollar mark. Looking at the Eagle Claw. It has free fall just like the black Bettys but a lot cheaper. I only fish in 2-6 feet of water maybe 8′ once in a while. Any sugestions? Thanks

Beast
    Participant

13 fish decent, it’s 10 times the reel that eagle claws are. I’m finding more and more anything branded Eagle Claw to be a disappointing buy.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

13 fish decent, it’s 10 times the reel that eagle claws are. I’m finding more and more anything branded Eagle Claw to be a disappointing buy.

Frabil has one that’s decent. 13 is a good one. And my eagle claw was awful.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

If you only fish shallow water like that, a standard fly reel should suit you just fine. Once you get past 6-8′ it can get annoying. Quit a few of my buddies use the Okuma SLV reels.

Matt Brookman
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

I love my Eagle Claws. I use the cheaper ones too. Much lighter and better balanced on the feather light custom rods than the metal ones I’ve sorted through most of the higher end inline reels through the years and they all eventually get sold off and my Eagle claws stick around. No I am not affiliated with the company.

I landed a 10lb walleye with one on 4lb line while crappie fishing like 5 years ago. Maybe that’s why they remain sentimental to me haha

fish-them-all
    Participant
    Oakdale, MN

Try the clam spooler elite. Much lighter than the eagle claw. I have the eagle claw, but for shallow water i prefer the spooler. 33.99 at fleet farm online. The spooler does not have the free fall function, but it is not really needed when fishing shallow water. The main reason i like the spooler is the spool moves on the opposite of my hand when using a pistol grip. When reeling the eagle claw it rubs against my hand.

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

I have half a dozen of them and love them. Lube the drag a bit then spool up and fish away.

Matt Brookman
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

^^^^ Exactly robby. Quantum hot sauce grease and oil works wonders on the drags and free spool of the inline reels.

mike e
    Participant

Go to Amazon and search Fiblink inline ice reel. I got the gold spool with cork handles one last year and worked it real hard. Last season was a record setter for me, fishing and catching. Managed a few good size northerns and my biggest largemouth ever, all on 2lb test. Silent drag is a bit weird after using Shimano’s forever. Kicking ass this year too with zero maintenance. Added the black spool/rubber handle(ignore the 1 star) one this year and seems the same. Great freefall sheltered, pretty good outside, I would likely give up due to cold before the reel. Zero line twist. Would have got another gold spool but I had to go prime to get one in time for a trip.

maddogg
    Participant

Try the clam spooler elite. Much lighter than the eagle claw. I have the eagle claw, but for shallow water i prefer the spooler. 33.99 at fleet farm online. The spooler does not have the free fall function, but it is not really needed when fishing shallow water. The main reason i like the spooler is the spool moves on the opposite of my hand when using a pistol grip. When reeling the eagle claw it rubs against my hand.

I have both Decants and Eagle Claw reels I see no great difference between them except the Descent has a push button release spool.I also have a Clam spooler elite which is a pain if you ever get the line behind the spool.Other than that it’s a good reel.

lshd69
    Participant

At 8 ft. max depth I would suggest the HT Enterprises Tightline Fly Reel (TLS-34). I see them on sale at Farm and Fleet for 14.99 all the time; but think full price is only 19.99. I have the Eagle Claw too and not happy with it. Drag stinks. Always use the TLS-34 in shallow water.

eyeguy54
    Participant

13 descent. love all of mine.

marvins
    Participant
    Kansas

#8 CGI is what I would recommend.

shady5
    Participant

I know this isn’t the question, but I’m not high on the design of any of the inline reels (line can spring out the side of reel, backlashes, etc.). I’m switching out my Black Betty for a Ceymar spinning reel.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

I like the in-lines in shallow water and have an Eagle Claw, but prefer the longer stem on the 13 Descent or CGI no8. In-lines are like using a baitcaster – if you use them correctly you have less line twist, better control of the line, and avoid the issues caused by the dinky spooled spinning reels.

yellowriver
    Participant

Thanks for all the replys. I don’t have a inline yet but have read the pros and cons of them. One of the reasons im looking at a inline is there easy to store in rod case. Seems like the spinners handels and bails always get caught and are bulky. I looked for a No 8 but looks like they are all sold out every where. Thanks again.

maddogg
    Participant

Thanks for all the replys. I don’t have a inline yet but have read the pros and cons of them. One of the reasons im looking at a inline is there easy to store in rod case. Seems like the spinners handels and bails always get caught and are bulky. I looked for a No 8 but looks like they are all sold out every where. Thanks again.

I think they were replaced with the Descent reel.

Beast
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>yellowriver wrote:</div>

I think they were replaced with the Descent reel.

I think #8 line has been phased out, the 13 decent replaced it and in my opinion is a better balanced reel. If I remember right they both are around the same price at about $39.00

yellowriver
    Participant

Ended up getting the eagle claws. 40 bucks out the door for two reels I couldn’t pass. Same as eagle but plain box and no sticker on them. Time will tell.

maddogg
    Participant

Ended up getting the eagle claws. 40 bucks out the door for two reels I couldn’t pass. Same as eagle but plain box and no sticker on them. Time will tell.

Were did you get that deal?

Sylvanboat
    Participant

Check out the original Black Betty. Absolute blast to fish with. Costs about $40.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.