Dutch – Ash river

• poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Hey Dutch, how’s the ash river looking?? Water level maps look like the levels took a pretty major jump from the weekend storm.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Haven’t been down there this year yet.
    Maybe i’ll go have a lookie tomorrow it’ll give me something to do.

carver
    Participant
    West Metro

Dutch, Maybe coming north to you for opener. I don’t think vermilion will be open. Drilled a hole today out from my place…23inches.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Looking forward to your report Dutch. Im starting to do doubt my plans for opening the cabin on opener.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

We had a lot of rain last weekend which will help Rainy. However there is a lot of ice. 20 degrees over night last night and the night before so it’s a really slow melt up here. I still have to much snow in my backyard to pull the boat out yet.

I’ll be surprised if the ice is completely out by opener, if it is the water will be cold.

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dutch, Maybe coming north to you for opener. I don’t think vermilion will be open. Drilled a hole today out from my place…23inches.

Where on Vermilion? I am hoping its open, even if we cant get into Big Bay. We are headed up on 5/18, so we have a few extra days.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks, never would have thought a month ago that this winter would have been as close as its going to be. At least not from down here anyway. Maybe I will get to add iceberg dodging to the list of things I’ve done on the water. Good thing the boat isn’t named titanic.

carver
    Participant
    West Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>carver wrote:</div>

Where on Vermilion? I am hoping its open, even if we cant get into Big Bay. We are headed up on 5/18, so we have a few extra days.

I live on the south side of wakemup bay.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Thanks, never would have thought a month ago that this winter would have been as close as its going to be. At least not from down here anyway. Maybe I will get to add iceberg dodging to the list of things I’ve done on the water. Good thing the boat isn’t named titanic.

I’ll swing past the Kab park access and Ash River Trail park access and shoot some photo’s. Worse case scenario is Kab is still iced over and you launch at the little access on the Ash River Trail and fish the river and Sullivans Bay.

I think ice will be out of Kab but it’s going to be really, really close. Rainy i’m not so sure of.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks again, been eyeballing what webcams I can find but in the end it will be what it will be.

I won’t complain about it being real close but definitely packing more layers and less shorts this year. Hopefully mother nature is getting all these crazy winds out of her system now though.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Kab at noon.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3646-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_3645-scaled.jpg

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Ash Trail VNP launch

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3615-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_3621-scaled.jpg

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Ash River.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3631-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_3636-scaled.jpg

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Ice out definitely looks a ways out yet. It’s going to have to get WARM to make it by opener.
    Thanks Dutch!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

River and Sullivan Bay will be open. I don’t think you will get to the cabin unless you have a dogsled. But a string of rainy days followed by a few days of 80 degrees with wind might change things.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Thanks for the reports Dutch

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I don’t even know when the opener is for sure but I’ll find out and head back down the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

May 14, thanks for the pictures. Maybe I should start fitting some torches on the bow and stocking up on propane

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

May 14, thanks for the pictures. Maybe I should start fitting some torches on the bow and stocking up on propane

We have dipped into the mid 20’s over night all week so that hinders melting. Near 50 yesterday and today with rain this weekend I think. Cross your fingers for the opener although I wouldn’t bet a ton of money. The next week to 10 days will tell the tale.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

The extended forecast is highs in the 50’s and overnight lows above freezing for the most part. Opener is late this year, May 14th, so I think there’s still going to be ice in some places but most lakes will be open.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Saw pictures from frontier resort on Ash of an open river (with shore ice) and they claimed Sullivan Bay was half open as of yesterday.

riverrookie
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Dutchboy,

Any idea what is going on with AshKaNam resort? I made a summer reservation a couple months ago. Have not received a confirmation letter, nobody answers the phone, voicemail box is full and they have not returned email inquires.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

They aren’t open yet during the week your only chance of anybody answering the phone will be on the weekend. Once his wife gets there things will run as they should. It’s a different world up here in the off season.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Saw pictures from frontier resort on Ash of an open river (with shore ice) and they claimed Sullivan Bay was half open as of yesterday.

Yes the river and Sullivan Bay will be open. It’s hard to understand how much water pours in over the 2 waterfalls unless you see it for yourself. With the rains everything is running full bore right now.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>poomunk wrote:</div>

Yes the river and Sullivan Bay will be open. It’s hard to understand how much water pours in over the 2 waterfalls unless you see it for yourself. With the rains everything is running full bore right now.

Sounds like a road yrip will be in order if we get tired of fishing to go see those.

eyekatcher
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Any updates?

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

50 degrees & cloudy this morning. Rained all day yesterday. Suppose to be 70 and sunny tomorrow. I’ll plan a run down there tomorrow and let ya know what I find.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Looking at webcams, the ice on kab turned black over the weekend. Crane lake looks wide open. Looking at the forecast I think it might go out in time for the opener. It’s going to be close..
    Im really hoping we can get out to the cabin, the high water has me concerned about our docks in their winter location.

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I just talked to Vermilion resort, Big Bay is open after some big wind, rest of lake should be a go for the weekend, but it will be very close.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I just talked to Vermilion resort, Big Bay is open after some big wind, rest of lake should be a go for the weekend, but it will be very close.

On Vermilion?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.