Duluth/superior ice fishing?

• mattgroff
    Participant

Driving home from lake vermillion the family and I always cut through Duluth on 53 and take the Wisconsin 35 home. As we were going over the bridge I noticed a ton of portable shacks out ice fishing. They looked to be spread out a lot. What would they be fishing? Being spread out like that. It was kinda cool cause off in the distance on the other side of the tree line there was 4 or 5 big ships on superior. Always cool to see. Just curious to see what species they are after.
    Thanks Matt

mattgroff
    Participant

Nice. I didn’t think they were walleye fishing because they were so spread out. I figured if they were walleyes they would be sitting on some structure not spread out like that.

tim hurley
    Participant

Any ‘pout in that harbor-or crappies?

Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

Take a look on the navionics app and you find that the bay is a mostly a large flat averaging 6-8 feet deep that was the natural river bottom. There is also the deep dredged shipping channels but with ships still going through that ice isn’t safe. I usually try to get away from people to reduce noise in my area with the shallow water. Been a decent morning bite as of late.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

For pout and crappies you need to get up river. The harbor is more walleyes and random sturgeon. The deal with them being so far out is that where they are fishing is a big feeding flat so it’s not so much spot on a spot it’s more of a pick a spot Swiss cheese it and see what happens. This is the case all the way until shipping season is over than you can fish a little deeper water then I becomes more spot on a spot type of fishing.

mattgroff
    Participant

Awesome. Good luck to you guys. Ya I was just wondering after seeing that many shacks out and being spread out like that. Looked like a great day to be out there yesterday.

evobassfish
    Participant

Is anyone ice fishing for coho yet?
    Its been on my bucket list ever since the ido crew filmed up there.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Is anyone ice fishing for coho yet?
    Its been on my bucket list ever since the ido crew filmed up there.

Not anywhere near Duluth… There is nothing as far as ice goes on lake superior yet besides the chunks that break off in the harbor and float out into the lake.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

I work downtown and this morning I noticed skim ice has formed over most of the area from 21st Ave East to as far as I can see towards the Superior entry.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I’m betting but s more like slush than ice. Not a bad sign though. Need about 3-4 more good cold spells and a little luck to get anything promising.

Tim Bossert
    Participant
    Cochrane, WI

No ice anytime soon with the forecast…

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I’d say that it’s all but over. Ashland, Washburn and Bayfield are good to go though. Wish I had a snowmobile.

biff
    Participant

Yeah, not gonna happen this year on the Duluth side.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

There’s always jigging from a boat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.