Drotto problems

• chappy
    Hastings, MN

Has anybody ever had a problem with the jaws not opening on the drotto? Can’t get mine to open. I Contacted the company and they’re really good about getting back to me and giving me some tips to look for, But I can’t get the damn things open!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Mine did it Twice. I sprayed some white lithium grease on it and make sure the boat is floating off trailer. Have had no further problems in a couple years. IF it has pressure on it it won’t release properly.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Thanks..I was going to try to take it to a landing tonight or tommorrow to try to move it around. The only pressure on the jaws is on the back of the jaws. As in toward the rear of the boat. Everything else is good I think.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Also wont open on level land..

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I think the pressure against the Jaws is the problem . Once i put trailer deeper in the water it can move forward that 1/16 and boom it open freely.

reddog

Ive had mine on my Skeeter several , and it never would release. Ive changed the angle. moved the winch post. done everything I can think of and cant get it to work. Had to remove the dang thing every time at the ramp in order to unload the boat. Then put it back on in order to load it. Great concept, but I think ill attach a rope to it and use it as an anchor. )

mojogunter

Is this a new issue, or you just installed it and this is normal? Mine won’t open if it is tight against the Boat Stern Bow Eye. I try to release it before I get in the boat, but sometimes it has to slide back a bit before it will release. Normally as the boat starts down the ramp the angle is just enough to release.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I think the pressure against the Jaws is the problem . Once i put trailer deeper in the water it can move forward that 1/16 and boom it open freely.

MWAL…
    Thats what I’m hoping..

Mojo…Worked great for 2 yrs, Just started happening…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you have a roller trailer, it’s probably worth getting to the bottom of it and making the Drotto work.

If you have a bunk trailer, it’s a waste of money. Take it off and sell it to some other sucker.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I have this issue. What is happening on mine is the boat bow ring is pushed up against the back of the catch. I even think my boat wiggles forward when trailering.
    The solution is to move the boat back a bit so it’s not contacting the rear of the catch. When I get to the launch I loosen my strap a few inches. When I back down the ramp I just hit the brakes to get the boat to move a bit. Unlocks just fine then.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My buddies boat has one. Never had a problem with it. No matter the amount of presure on it. If it worked well for 2 years and now has a problem I’d start with a good lube. If that doesn’t help maybe something got bent or out of alignment.

Kibble Geebig

Call drotto and check the adjustment as pressure should be in front of jaws

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.