Driveway Options

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have about 750 ft driveway that needs a makeover. Can anyone chime in with pros and cons of different materials? Also any companies you could recommend to do the job (north metro)??

Thanks,

TipUpFishOn

If your figure is sq. ft., I recently had a few quotes for both asphalt and concrete for about that size. Tear out and replace. Estimates for asphalt ranged from $2,800 to $5,000 for asphalt and $5,000 to $7,000 for concrete. Ended up going asphalt and had driveway torn out today. People in the industry will chime in but I found that pros for concrete were aesthetics, strength and durability. Cons were more difficult to fix cracks and initial cost. Pros for asphalt are initial cost, and less expensive to maintain/crack filling/sealing. Cons were less durable and some folks much prefer the look of concrete. Sorry can’t help on recommendations as I’m in the south metro.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Blacktop millings can be a good option but they have to be compacted preferable on a warm day to be truly effective just a reminder not all recycled asphalt are the same quality. Crushed recycled concrete is another good option if you can find it. Crushed concrete is usually used on state highways for base and is only crushed concrete not any other material. The recycle also needs to be compacted but temperature does not matter. Products such as granite and lime stone also work but they can tend to track. It might help to let us know what type of equipment you use to remove snow with also when you say makeover is it for aesthetics or is your driveway failing. There or other options that work also such as crushed gravel and recycled road base.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

1-800- ashpalt for a estimate for blacktop.

buck-slayer

My dream would be tear out my asphalt install heating coils in the concrete and never shovel snow again. Guessing that would cost alot but it’s my dream.

lindyrig79

Sorry guys…. 750 ft length. It’s a gravel driveway, but most of the gravel is gone and just packed sand and dirt now. I am on very sandy soil.

Thinking some type of gravel replacement or heard a little about crushed concrete/ asphalt

I have both a 4 wheeler with a plow I use for quick medium snowfalls and also a riding tractor with blower attachment for heavier snow.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Have you tried running a blade over it to re crown it and work up some gravel? Top it with what you can get affordably in your area.

lindyrig79

Not sure what type of blade I would use? My 4 wheeler will not get the job done I need some heavy equipment. The driveway is fairly rutted in some spots and pools water in a few locations also.

I guess I could look into gravel delivery….. but would need a way to spread it and want it to look decent too so was planning to hire it out

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I own a contractor company locally in North branch. We do 1-2 gravel driveways and parking pads every day. Material is going to mostly depend on your location and what is available in your area at a fair price. Below I listed the top three options in order. Also if you are interested in any gravel work I’d be happy to get you an estimate. Just text me if you would like. 763-777-0084.

1.) asphalt millings
    2.) recycled asphalt (some places have a mix of asphalt and concrete)
    3.) crushed concrete (also referred to as crushed conbit, class 5 recycle and a few other names)

We primarily work in the north metro up to Mille Lacs I have a pulse on most gravel pits from Blaine/Coon rapids up to aitkin. So I can narrow down best price and material options quickly in your area.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

This driveway is a good comparison. Homeowner decided to use crushed concrete for majority of the driveway and parking area up to he choose recycled asphalt.

Attachments:
    1. 3451BEB3-1C1E-41E2-B8EA-E3E33C25EC31.jpeg

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Like a back blade on a tractor. Probably have lots of gravel there, just need to work it up. Top with something new, make sure to keep it crowned so you don’t get water causing potholes and wash outs.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Top with some road base and chip seal. Before laying the road base, put down some engineered road fabric to prevent rock from just getting pressed into the dirt. Actually, whatever material you put down, highly consider the fabric!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I just had a concrete driveway done last summer and love it. Your driveway sounds longer than mine for sure, so it is a lot of money. I did a ton of research and got bids from several people, I found a guy that did a great job and was thousands less than others. Shoot me a pm and I can give you his contact if you want.

lindyrig79

I have concrete aprons but I don’t think anyone in their right mind would consider concrete for 750 ft length out in the country.

Thanks BT Mike. I will likely contact you next week.

Curious though why limestone isn’t listed or mentioned by others. I’d like to consider the asthetic aspect of the driveway too before spending a bunch of money. Looks like my local gravel pit has a limestone mix .

Can anyone who lives in the country chime in with their gravel material, pros and cons, and any pics??

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I have concrete aprons but I don’t think anyone in their right mind would consider concrete for 750 ft length out in the country.

Curious though why limestone isn’t listed or mentioned by others. I’d like to consider the asthetic aspect of the driveway too before spending a bunch of money. Looks like my local gravel pit has a limestone mix .

Can anyone who lives in the country chime in with their gravel material, pros and cons, and any pics??

Limestone is a good product but it tracks when wet. So if you don’t like sweeping I would not suggest it.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

just for food for thought 750′ long, and say roughly 18′ wide, and concrete $125 a yard your looking at $20.833. just in material. i would have some material hauled in and just have him chain the gate and clean up with four wheeler.or light equipment way more affordable.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Our driveway is close to a 1/4 mile we are on sand at first we had screenings brought in it held for a few years and finally had asphalt millings brought in. To me this is the best option but our driveway sees heavy use with tractors and such and milk trucks when we dairyed.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Not only that it breaks down to silt and easily washes away in the rain. My 400’+ driveway goes downhill to my house and the landing pad in front of the garage. I get mud in front of the house after a few years from the silt which I have to dig out and replace.

Paving with blacktop is on my short list. Estimates were from $16500-$18500 for the drive and parking pad 50×60. If I go I’m paying for the higher priced bid because I have more confidence in them which I believe is an important part of the bid process. Plus that contractor is a good customer of mine.

Recycled crushed concrete will hold up much better without breaking down as will granite but granite is pretty expensive.

Bowtecmike has a good handle on that.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I have recycled asphalt I would do that in a heartbeat. I live on a hill and for first 20 years I had class five gravel. On a day like today it would wash now after spreading it out it has not moved.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.