Drift socks for river fishing

• JasonP
    Twin Cities

Wondering if anybody uses a drift sock for river fishing. I have a 16′ jon and when the wind blows against the current it can be a bummer. When anchored the boat will reverse directions when it blows and then reverse again when it dies. Annoying when you’re trying to dissect some structure on a dam, or even when just pulling rigs slowly. It seems particularly bad with my boat where the hull is light and drafts so little water.

Has anyone successfully used a drift sock to pin their boat in the wind? Seems like it should work – pros? cons?

thx

J

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

We just use 2 anchors. One on each end of the boat.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Ive never used a drift sock but I’d think it would help.
    In that situation I like to use two anchors. Drop one on the upstream side. Let out line until you’re a short ways downstream of your intended target. Place second anchor downstream of the boat. Pull upstream anchor rope tight until the downstream anchor rope is tight. This way you have an anchor holding from both upstream and downstream.

Alagnak1

Works good on anchor and spot lock for what you are trying to fix.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

More often than not, when on anchor I have one and even 2 drift socks off the transom. Depends on current and wind.

milemark_714

2 drift socks or 5 gallon buckets,one on each stern corner will work if you have decent current.Or heavy anchor in back(pita).These boats are like a paper cup in the wind,the wind usually wins.I tried a single bucket,it is ok until the wind exceeds 15MPH.Beyond that,a white flag works for me(surrender).

AK Guy

A 5 gallon bucket is a cheap way to know if it’ll help your boat control. Invest in a drift sock later.

Deuces

I’m all for saving a buck but, buckets are hard to store in boat and they always seem to tangle up on me when out.

Couple drift socks in different sizes, with cleats on both sides on rear of boat is the way to go. Can give you different angles to fish and options if you’re on a seam and/or changing wind directions

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Thanks for all the helpful replies. To be more clear, I’m talking about anchoring the boat with spot-lock. I suppose that will drain the battery faster but I’m OK with that if it’s a win for boat control.

For those that have used a bucket do you need to drill a hole or holes in the bottom of the bucket? or do you just toss out the whole bucket?

This problem was really annoying last year because there wasn’t any current, so even a little wind would spin the boat. Hope we don’t have a repeat of that.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

James Holst and Dustin Stewart discuss this very issue in good detail in an old video…something to do with “dog days walleyes on wing dams”, not sure the exact title. Anyway, I utilize the tactic successfully quite a bit on the upper Croix whenever I see the tubers blowing up-current!

Around 11 minutes in gets you how to use the drift sock. They actually use a waterspike and rope. Probably pre spot lock.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.